It's time for the Poppies and People's Picks!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

It's time for the Poppies and People's Picks!

Postby michaelcrawford » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 am

It was a late one last night - I always forget just how much work setting up the Poppies/People's Picks voting ballot is! But it's all done now, and it's time for the voting - the 135 Poppies Judges (who are the ones that developed the nominations in each category) are doing their voting over the next couple weeks, but you get your chance too. You can vote in the People's Picks, which uses the identical ballot. You'll find it here:

http://www.mwctoys.com/poppies_peoplespicks_2010.htm

If you're interested in checking out who the Poppies judges are, the list is available at:

http://www.mwctoys.com/poppies_judges_2010.htm

If you have any questions, let me know - and thanks for participating!

Michael
MWC
michaelcrawford
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: It's time for the Poppies and People's Picks!

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 am

on the best overall line, low end cat, you have wwe listed as produced by jakks, but it was primarily produced by mattel this year... there was some jakks overstock items put up at TRUs and such, but all the new product was taken over by mattel this year. just sayin'. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

Anybody who knows me, can pretty much guess how I voted.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:23 am

on a non-fix note, the best line (low end) was hard for me to decide on this go-round... there are numerous lines who fielded some some really excellent figs this year, and who also botched some seemingly easy figs and/or made disastrous line decisions that just make it very hard to endorse them. and yes, when they have public reps out there talking up the line, or bashing it (why it on earth you'd bash a product you're being paid to sell is beyond me), that has to count for me when i vote, cuz buying into the line, or endorsing it via an award, is a statement of support for their policies and products...

i ended up going w/ the NECA bioshock line. they consistently are well made, great looking toys, and there's no one at NECA saying "no more accessories, certain characters are off the table, and the sculptors make choices we will take credit for if they're well received, but we'll bash the moment they aren't" so they overall handled the license correctly in a PR sense, as well as made some killer product. i'm not trying to persuade anyone here, just stating what i did and why cuz i felt like in some larger sense, it was significant. but it's probably just my ego kicking it. :happy:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 am

Ebonhorn wrote:Anybody who knows me, can pretty much guess how I voted.

hey, fine by me, 3A isn't hitting a huge enough audience yet that they'll clean sweep a category... but getting word out, getting attention to the good work they're doing... that's just good toy karma. i was tempted in more than one category to vote for them, despite not owning their stuff, based on reputation alone... but alas, i tried to keep all my votes to stuff i've actually bought, or was well aware of. maybe if we got some more 3A stories 'round these parts, we could broaden the audience.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:28 am

Yeah I believe in voting for stuff you own is a better way of doing it.......Believe me 2011 is the year I actually talk more about my stuff.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 am

Ebonhorn wrote:Yeah I believe in voting for stuff you own is a better way of doing it.......Believe me 2011 is the year I actually talk more about my stuff.

great! just like in film or music, i think it's much better when i have a friend steering me into stuff i might like than having to stumble in blind. any realistically, at 3A prices, i wouldn't "take a chance" on something that expensive, i wouldn't touch 'em, if i didn't have a trusted voice saying they're worth the ample investment.

on an aside, no nod to the OSM this year in the poppies... hmmm.... i don't know how i feel about that. sure, they're kind of a nitch property, but they're an indy project, they're a revamp of a very old line indeed, and they're glyos compatible... that's a recipe for swwet success where i sit... hell, how many toy lines got name dropped on fox news this year? politics aside, they're the biggest ratings in 24/7 cable news by a huge margin. i suspect by next year's poppies, OSM will be getting a good load of press... too bad they'll lose every category to scarabus! [smile]

i expect that next year, scarrie and 4H studios are going to have generate a big wave in the collecting world. like enough so that scarabus and the scarabi should get their own category, just to avoid a thorough nut stomping of every other fig released. cuz come on, GLC, DCU, crysis, bulletstorm, MOTUC, HML... all good lines, that don't hold a candle to scarabus in sculpt, paint, or articulation ALREADY... if he holds up in QC half as well as we're hearing, he'll OWN the 1/12 scale next year.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah, I think Scarabus or one of his minions could easily be TOTY 2011. :cool:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:10 pm

BTW, not for nitpicking... BUT... the photo linked to the black rock shooter figma fig by max factory (best female under 11 inches) takes us to a review of the good smile company BRS statue... that could be confusing for someone looking up those references. the GSC calls it a figure, but it's completely unarticulated, while the figma fig http://zh3us.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/r ... k-shooter/ is definitely articulated.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I always feel so humbled when voting outside of the tiny little niche of toydom I cover.

I didn't have a lot of time this year to participate in the nomination process, hopefully I'll have more time and can get a better handle on some of the categories I'm not as fluent in next year.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion