The "Catch-(Mostly)-All" Toy Thread

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The "Catch-(Mostly)-All" Toy Thread

Postby Tekwych » Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 am

JAKKS Pacific Founder, Chairman Jack Friedman Dies

The JAKKS Pacific family is mourning the loss of the Company's founder and Chairman of the Board, Jack Friedman, age 70. Mr. Friedman died on Monday, May 3, 2010 after being hospitalized for several weeks.

JAKKS' CEO Stephen Berman said, "Jack was a legendary toymaker and a real titan in our industry. He dedicated his talents to JAKKS Pacific for 15 years, and he will be sorely missed. On behalf of all JAKKS employees, we send our sincere condolences to his wife Karen and his children for their loss."

JAKKS' Board of Directors issued a statement saying, "We are greatly saddened by the passing of Jack Friedman. He was a visionary leader who guided the Company with wisdom and keen judgment. Toys were his passion, and his legacy will live on in JAKKS Pacific. We extend our sympathies to his family."

Jack Friedman founded JAKKS Pacific in January 1995, and he served as its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer through March 31, 2010. Under his leadership, JAKKS has grown into a Top 5 US publicly-traded diversified toycompany. Before JAKKS, he led LJN Toys until its sale to MCA in 1985, and then went on to form THQ, Inc. in 1989 and led it until 1995. With more than 50 years of toy industry experience, Mr. Friedman launched some of the most successful toys in history, including the first movie toys for E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial and was also a pioneer in the video game industry.

Mr. Friedman was a generous philanthropist and supporter of the Company's JAKKS Cares(TM) program, which has benefited organizations such as The Toy Industry Foundation, Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times, The Special Olympics, Feed the Children, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Marine Toys for Tots and more. Under the program, the Company has donated over $40 million worth of toys and school supplies to children around the world. In 2009, JAKKS Pacific was recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the "Top 20 Corporate Philanthropists in Los Angeles," and as a "Power Player Philanthropist" by the Toy Industry Foundation.

Mr. Friedman recently retired from his regular duties at JAKKS Pacific to spend more time with his family. He will be missed by all who knew him.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue May 04, 2010 1:45 pm

i didn't know they were so involved in philanthropic endeavors... makes me feel better about all the cash i've spent on jakks product over the years.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Toygiant » Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Indeed DR.

I posted this at FanEx but I thought I should say something here too.

We as the adult collecting community have a lot of childhood memories to thank Mr. Friedman for. Here's a little list:

E.T.
Dungeons and Dragons
Wrestling Superstars
Thundercats
Tigersharks
Photon
Bionic Six
Grelmins
Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom
Dune
Entertech

And those are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

RIP Jack, thanks for the memories.
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Tue May 04, 2010 3:41 pm

I definitely got much joy from LJN stuff.

Not so much on Jakks, but I still appreciate their contributions to the toy world and beyond.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:41 am

MWC is reviewing more of the Toy Story 3 toys today: http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_050710a.htm

Reading his review and Vault's, I think it's safe to declare the TS3 toys CRAP. Geez.[code][/code]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:MWC is reviewing more of the Toy Story 3 toys today: http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_050710a.htm

Reading his review and Vault's, I think it's safe to declare the TS3 toys CRAP. Geez.[code][/code]

why is it that toy story toys are so damned hard to make? they're all based on vintage toys!!!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Toygiant » Fri May 07, 2010 9:49 am

dayraven wrote:why is it that toy story toys are so damned hard to make? they're all based on vintage toys!!!!

We'll for one thing most of those classic toys are of Hasbro design. Since Mattel has had the license for Disney since the dawn of time (actually, they got it on the cheap back in the late 80s when Disney was having money trouble, before The Little Mermaid changed all that and haven't released their claws since), they can't exactly make those Hasbro products. Why they (Disney/Pixar) can't work out a mulifaceted licensing deal that would see products from both comapnies is beyond me.

Oh wait.........this is Mattel we're talking about. :|
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Fri May 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Toygiant wrote:
dayraven wrote:why is it that toy story toys are so damned hard to make? they're all based on vintage toys!!!!

We'll for one thing most of those classic toys are of Hasbro design. Since Mattel has had the license for Disney since the dawn of time (actually, they got it on the cheap back in the late 80s when Disney was having money trouble, before The Little Mermaid changed all that and haven't released their claws since), they can't exactly make those Hasbro products. Why they (Disney/Pixar) can't work out a mulifaceted licensing deal that would see products from both comapnies is beyond me.

Oh wait.........this is Mattel we're talking about. :|

this is why i like having industry types hanging around... i didn't know mattel had their claws into disney.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Its another reason why I'm so impressed with Playmates Disney's Fairies line. I don't think Mattel could have done the line any where near as well as Playmates has.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri May 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Tekwych wrote:Its another reason why I'm so impressed with Playmates Disney's Fairies line. I don't think Mattel could have done the line any where near as well as Playmates has.

playmates did a line of harvey firestein figs? :eek: [grin]

ok fairie man, i have to have links or photos or something... i have no idea what you're talking about here.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Previous

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion