SDCC 2015

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: SDCC 2015

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:28 am

dayraven wrote:i'm just curious how interesting it will actually be, sales wise, to the motuc crowd, because while certainly there's some overlap of fandoms, we also know that the internet can be a hard place to get a read on. lots of fans will talk a huge load of bollocks about how much they want a line, and then completely fail to show up on purchase day.

I will have to look at the costs and do the math and see whether or not it can work into my toy budget. I'm sure I speak for most when I say that I don't have unlimited funds, so I have to make my purchases count. I have a "cash only" policy --- so I don't pay for any of my toys with credit.

I just feel like we've been jerked around with Thundercats. I bought in on the 8" Lion-O and Tygra and then again the 6" Lion-O and Mumm-Ra. I'm not blaming Mattel for Bandai's mistakes or the failure of the line, but the thing with T-Cats is I don't know that I care that much more about the property at this point.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:35 pm

I did exactly the same thing prfkt, and likewise am not made of money. I just can't go all in on the cats, and it doesn't make sense to me to cherry pick that one. Hell, he-man is my favorite property ever and they have me convinced not to sub again. Screw lion-o. [smile]

I just watched the pixel dan walk through, and I have to real... snake mountain is going to be a problem. Not necessarily in and of itself, but there's some treacherous territory in making ut. Brandon mentioned that they want it at about the same $300 point as grayskull, and given what they've shown, that's just not even kind of realistic. Something has to give, but as they've pitched this item, it's not realistic but very desirable. If they cut the size, people will pissed. If they cut the Bluetooth speaker, people will be pissed. If they raise the price tag, people will be pissed. If they keep all the features and the price point, they'll be praised as heroes... until you look over in the corner at munchkin grayskull and then, you'll be pissed. [smile] they have really backed themselves into a corner there.

I'm not bothered that what they're pitching for the next couple years isn't my cup of tea. I get it, they're selling to masters fans who aren't me, no biggie. What does bug me is being coy about king hsss' torso, as I've bought the figure and do feel somewhat entitled to news, since the sales of that piece were absolutely solicited on that piece 's existence. I feel like we deserve something more than "it's coming"

Final note... I don't know if I get why the last skeletor and he-man have their action features. it's not even an approximation of the feature, it's the feature. I don't like it particularly and I don't understand it, that's not how this line is supposed to work, and it's a lame gimmick to be the one that they choose to go all out on. I'd personally much rather they'd spent those resources on dragstor, or mangosteen king hsss' torso.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:05 pm

I can cherry pick Lion-O, if only to be able to have him in the same scale/style as He-Man. Beyond that, IDK. Making Mumm-Ra's old and decrepit form as the sub-exclusive is a blow to the Charlie Browns. For some reason I like that version more than Mumm-Ra's Ever Living incarnation.

When I first saw Snake Mountain I lost my starfruit. Then the reality of how much is thing going to cost set in. to be able to afford Castle Grayskull I had to sell off a lot of stuff, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing since it freed up space and helped me trim down my collection. I am going to have to do the same for SM. If they can keep it in the $350 ballpark I will be happier than a pig in starfruit. I don't think I could realistically go higher than $450 though. No matter how cool SM is, that's just a lot of dough.

To be honest I don't care about the Bluetooth speaker. If it saves $$$ in the end, thats fine by me. I don't really see any issue with Snake Mountain dwarfing Grayskull. It is supposed to be a mountain afterall, right. Sure there are times I look up at Grayskull and wish it were bigger (or at least the size it was supposed to be before getting scaled down).

I'm not too worried about King Hsss' torso, but it would be nice to know when exactly how/when they plan to distribute it to customers. I don't even care if it's pacakaged in with anything, just throw it in a polybag if they must.

I didn't realize that Lazer He-Man/Skeletor were getting their features. Like the bluetooth, I don't care much about that. Maybe it's their way to add a little value to the figures? I'm not even really that pumped about 'em. Between the Lazers and the Flying Fists/Terror Claws, I'm not really all that execited about any of them --- I guess other than the fact that it finishes up the vintage line, and for that I guess I can be happy.

Final note... I don't know if I get why the last skeletor and he-man have their action features. it's not even an approximation of the feature, it's the feature. I don't like it particularly and I don't understand it, that's not how this line is supposed to work, and it's a lame gimmick to be the one that they choose to go all out on. I'd personally much rather they'd spent those resources on dragstor, or mangosteen king hsss' torso.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:21 am

Well, I have to say that it will be nice not having to light up those figures myself. Saves me time, money, energy, and resources. All I'll need to do is make the cloth hooded cape for Skeletor!

Snake. Freakin'. Mountain. Oh, yeah! I'll be budgeting and saving up for this bad boy, so that even if it costs $500, I'll be getting it.

Still seeing red about the three Power-Con exclusives, though. That is some infuriating starfruit.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby liokaiser_jlee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:35 am

Well the Filmation figures sold me indeed just now hope get the Perfuma thats correct to me.

Snake Mountain brought back Christmas Memories indeed. Got that same year got many Dinobots and other toys. Then like others the $$$$$$$ set in. Why I haven't got Greyskull is cause of money and space.

Now the want of that Teela and getting Point Dread and the Talon Fighter is high. Kick myself to this day fir not getting her at a local toy show (along with others, (GokaiRed is a major other)) still kills me. Guy was selling for $20. Got to make up for that.
liokaiser_jlee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 am

Trying to make up my mind about the Filmation sub and whether or not it's worth it to subscribe... I'm definitely on board for He-Man 2.0, Skeletor 2.0, and Trap Jaw 2.0. I do kinda/sorta want Filmation Evil Seed... As far as the rest, Evil-Lyn 2.0, Beast Man 2.0, and Clawful 2.0, they're cool but I don't know if I neeeed them.

If I do order the sub, I believe I'll choose the tri-ship method, if only to save a little cash on shipping.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:28 am

they didn't explain at all why we're seeing price decreases this year, and i think those are good and smart to have... but it absolutely confirms what some of the so-called conspiracy theorists have been saying about price jacking. the cost of oil, plastic, and steel haven't come down since last year. they're using perhaps new plastics that are cheaper, renegotiated with the factory or changed factories, whatever, those options were certainly always on the table but apparently not en vogue with mr neitlich. it absolutely makes you look at some of your previous figures in a new light.

on the whole, i find it amazing, in a good way for the brand, how much product we're being offered this year, after the "all lines must end" graphics from last year, but for me, it's too much, too late. i have what i wanted, and honestly, far more than that (seriously, i mangosteen hate gwildor, and here i am with gwildor. why oh why do i have gwildor? so i could get that cool cosmic key? that's the only reason i opened that package, and he's absolutely in my "liquidate" bin right now. therein lies the issue of the sub, for me... i'm exactly the opposite kind of buyer than noisy is, if i am asked to buy even a single product i don't want, i loathe it. i don't care what might get missed later, i don't care if that means the sub doesn't go through, and (no offense to anyone reading this) i sure as hell don't buy products i don't want in the interest of someone else getting something they do want. that's just not even in my makeup to consider my dollars as anything other than my prerogative. i hate buying things i don't want or like, and it's not just toys, i don't buy more clothes than i can wear or need in a reasonable amount of time, i don't own multiple shoes of the same style, i have one belt, and i LOATHE, like a deep seeded violent hatred, kitchen gadgets. i want multi purpose, multi functional items, so i can find what i want in a timely fashion, use it, clean it, put it away. i had a hard time last year buying a second snow shovel so i could share the shoveling duties with my kids, and i have two boys of age... had i 3 shovels, we could have busted shiz out quick and easy, but i'd rather do more work myself than acquire another item (or two) that sit for 85% of the year with no function. this is why it was such a huge thing for me to sub up the last two years, those characters i didn't want sit on my mangosteen psyche as heavily as they sit on my shelf. customs are all well and good, and that process helps me feel less burdened by purchases i didn't want to make, but it doesn't go away. i know it's a neurosis, i get that most people probably would find that odd, and overthought... i think twitter sucks. takes all kinds [smile]

of the stuff that makes me very happy from SDCC, motuc wise, the 200x sub looks great, i honestly don't see a single figure in that group that saddens me. the point dredd and talon fighter set makes me happy, even though i don't own castle grayskull. i will probably skip it, as if i had the cash to afford it, i'd rather spend it on the battle ram, which to date i still haven't pulled the trigger on, cuz DAMN that's a lot of money. saurod looks great... i know a lot of people have asked for lord masque, i know lots of people wanted filmation evil seed, and i am very happy to see for my fellow collectors that you're being offered those figures. the only one of those i have an itch about would be vultak. he looks nice.

the rest left me flat. filmation ain't for me. the rest of the eternia sub for the year, it makes my gears grind. if it weren't for benty heads and castle of power add ons, i'd cancel my card right now and snuff that sub. ugh... the upside is, some of those figures are destined as new gar characters to flesh out my fakerverse characters. i've gotten really obsessed with this idea of faker leading the gar in a racial rebellion, fighting both the "white man" from eternos, and at the same time, trying to free his people from the corrosive influence of the villains in snake mountain. having some fodder bodies to help me flesh out the gar crew is a nice upside to those unwanted he-variants and skeletweeks.

that said... i do kind of want anti he-man. damn you red and black color combinations, i can't quit you!! :bawl:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm

@DR - you haven't got the Battle Ram yet? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It's effin' awesome! With that said though, I don't feel I've utilized it very well since I got it. Sure it's been on display, but I haven't done anything great with it yet. I need to take Grayskull down from the shelf it's been perched on and get a nice dio going.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:58 pm

that's the thing prfkt, right now, it wouldn't get a prominent display spot cuz simply put, i don't have space for something that big... or at least, had i that much scratch laying around, and a space appropriate for that much toy mass, i'd probably fill it with a devastator. i loved the battle ram as a kid, and i suspect i'd love this new one just as much (maybe less, as i spend a lot less time on my belly playing these days.) but the question is, would i $130 love it, cuz after shipping, that's what it would cost me. i just don't feel emphatic enough to pull the trigger at full price, especially knowing november is a tolerable ways off and i might well get a deal. like i've said before, there's a lot of product vying for my dollar right now, and maybe i'd like a cold steel war hammer or a new IFAK for the BOB, or somesuch. more and more, toys aren't making me as happy as they used to, and the ones that do get my money, but i have other interests too.

i did this once with noisy too, when motuc hit (IIRC) it's second price increase, the number of things in that price range that are in my hobbying interests and feel like a better value for those dollars... especially once you factor in shipping for these things, i can score some nice belts, i'm halfway to a new 5.11 kilt, pouches, shemaghs, knives, coffee... i don't need all those things all the time, but what i'm at is, for example, i can score an old hickory butcher knife for about 12 bucks, total. that's half a he-man. now, that knife is useful in the kitchen, all day, every day, well past my lifespan. i know, as my dad had a set of those knives, his widow currently has them, and when she passes, i'm taking her kitchen knives (none of the other competitors will know or care, they're not cooks) because they're tremendous. 1045 high carbon steel, with even basic maintenance, i'll pass them to my boys when i'm dead. that's a bargain all day long, and i use the starfruit out of some kitchen knives. i'm picky about my steels, i'm picky about the handle ergonomics, this is why i have my knives on a mag strip in my kitchen, and my wife's knives are in a drawer in another part of the room. i maintain all the knives, but her starfruit is not treated like mine cuz simply put, i care more about my gear than she does. but that butcher knive is multi use, had i a grinder, which i have, and a sander, which i have, i could reprofile that blade and handle for just about any use you could imagine, because it's great steel at 8 inches and it's great steel at 4, i could trim that sucker down and yield a potent field or bushcraft knife, or the best damned hobby knife you've laid hands on. what exactly can i do with a he-man on a campsite? besides funtography?

for what i pay for really, really good coffee, i could reload 9 months worth of java for the cost of that battle ram. the coffee not only makes me happy, the entire process, but it keeps me sane enough that the rest of you live on another day. [smile] for the sanctity of the human race, really, you all should be pooling your money and keeping me caffeinated, but until such time as that scenario becomes reality, i have to buy it myself, and for me, that's money better spent.

now, i used to enjoy the toys a lot, and when my boys were younger and we played together, that was really my zenith of being a motucer. but they're older, they're not playing with them hardly at all, my oldest is a total lego geek and my youngest in on to marvel legends. so the motucs are now just mine, and as my tastes are refining, and i'm finally indulging some of my other hobbies (the survival/tactical/outdoor gear stuff has always been a hobby, but internet shopping makes the process so friggin easy and affordable, it's harder and harder to turn down the good stuff) i'm just at a point where i want a smaller collection that will fit on the display dios i have planned as hobby projects (and where some of that tactical gear is coming in handy, as the worlds of crafting and survival overlap a surprising amount) and the sheer volume of what i have is kind of impractical. (impractical is such a grown up word, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth) he-man will continue to have a special place in my heart always, and i like the vast majority of the motuc stuff i've bought, i'm not bashing anyone or anything here. as i look at investing more, especially in the higher end pieces, i just can't help lately that i'm heavily pulled in other directions for my limited recreation budget, that's all i'm saying.

holy crap did that come out longer winded than it needed to be. sorry. :lol:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Wow! Did I really pay close to $130 for Battle Ram? Yikes.

there's a lot of product vying for my dollar right now

Ain't that the truth... seems like every year just when you think you're getting to a place when you're happy with your collection and you won't need anything else, they'll put something else out on the market!

toys aren't making me as happy as they used to, and the ones that do get my money, but i have other interests too.

Same here. It's not just my line fatigue with MOTUC --- other toy lines that I collect too, like TMNT. I'm really cool on them now. I don't think I'll be buying anything TMNT related until Fugitoid.

i'm just at a point where i want a smaller collection that will fit on the display dios i have planned as hobby projects

There is something to be said about quality over quantity.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com