SDCC 2015

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: SDCC 2015

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 am

Mainly because I wasn't a huge fan of Thundercats when I was a kid. I watched the cartoon, but never had any of the toys, which were rather big and a bit pricey. None of the characters really stuck with me, except how annoying Snarf was, how it was amusing that Lion-O was basically a kid in a man's body, that Ssslythe was a nifty reptile guy, and that the Berserkers were awesome Techno-Viking badasses. The other characters either left no impression on me, or bugged me because they were annoying.

I just stuck to Star Wars and MOTU as a kid. Parents put their foot down on branching out into other lines, which is probably why I went nuts lately with all the resurgent properties like TransFormers and G.I. Joe and such.

If there's a MOTU sub and a Thundercats sub for next year, MOTU is going to win out, hands down. If there's no MOTU sub, I may opt for Thundercats, but I doubt it. But if there are going to be Day-of-Sale Ssslythe and Berserkers, I'm in.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 am

i'm just curious how interesting it will actually be, sales wise, to the motuc crowd, because while certainly there's some overlap of fandoms, we also know that the internet can be a hard place to get a read on. lots of fans will talk a huge load of bollocks about how much they want a line, and then completely fail to show up on purchase day. i'm curious to see if, and how much, traction the motu-cats will get, especially given that, should they follow the established matty logic, they should be pricier than motu (as they have to factor in the cost of the license in addition to the materials cost) for me personally, had these announced 2 years ago, maybe 3, i'd have been on them at least for some of the characters. right now, where i'm at in my head and my collection, i just couldn't care less. the only motuc stuff i'm looking forward to is the 200x sub, and then i see relief in sight from this line. i'm staring at the hole in the ice and swimming for it with everything i've got... especially in light of more coolness from mythic legions, and the possibility of ninjas from articulated icons, and NECA is trying to get me into a second mortgage... yikes.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:35 am

Well, if they get the word out effectively, I imagine it could be a success. I didn't know about MOTUC until He-Man and Beast Man showed up on BBTS, and didn't know I could order directly from Mattel until most of the way through the following year, and didn't know I could subscribe until 2011.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:36 am

have you seen snake mountain yet? sweet fancy moses that's going to be expensive, cuz it's HUGE!! that i'm actually jealous i'm passing on.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

I am liking everything. Already signed up for two Collectors' Choice subs.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:07 am

I lost interest in MOTUC years ago, mostly due to Mattel and Digital River's crap. I can't imagine those issues will be mitigated with the Thundercats line, so, while I was a big T-Cats fan (and even bought plenty of Bandai's crap line a few years ago), I can't get too worked up over a new line from Matty Collector. If they were available in stores, maybe, but I'm not subbing or dealing with their day-of starfruit.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby He-Mullet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:51 am

Holy crap, that Snake Mountain is a BEAST!!
I sense a few Matty induced divorces coming up in late 2015 after the preorders begin!
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 am

I only just saw some grainy shots from a distance of what they plan on putting in Snake Mountain. I hope we get clearer pictures eventually. Looks like a couple of floor levels, a dungeon, a Snake Pit Void Portal Thing, Skeletor's desk and throne, the computer control panel for the speaker system, trap door, net, and ladder, amongst other things.

Oh, yeah. I'm signing up for that within 24 hours of it going up on the site.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:07 am

Beedo Sookcool wrote:Well, if they get the word out effectively, I imagine it could be a success. I didn't know about MOTUC until He-Man and Beast Man showed up on BBTS, and didn't know I could order directly from Mattel until most of the way through the following year, and didn't know I could subscribe until 2011.

Sad part about MOTUC is that so many people found out so late in the game. Unless you read certain toy blogs, were part of an online toy community, or read ToyFair there wasn't any other way to find out about it. I wonder how many people's first exposure to MOTUC was the MOTUC vs DCUC 2-packs in TRU.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:10 am

Beedo Sookcool wrote:Mainly because I wasn't a huge fan of Thundercats when I was a kid. I watched the cartoon, but never had any of the toys, which were rather big and a bit pricey.

Same here. I can recall watching the cartoon. The only TC toy I ever owned was Slythe, and that was because someone had given him to me as a birthday present.

Beedo Sookcool wrote:I just stuck to Star Wars and MOTU as a kid. Parents put their foot down on branching out into other lines, which is probably why I went nuts lately with all the resurgent properties like TransFormers and G.I. Joe and such.

Your parents sound like my Mom. She basically told me I had to choose whether to continue to collect MOTU or Thundercats, but I couldn't have them both.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com