SDCC 2015

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: SDCC 2015

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Well, I really don't want it to feel like I'm pressuring anybody, but if you really want the Battle Ram, it might be worth dropping not-very-subtle hints to multiple family members now we're in the lead-up to Christmas. If those things sell out on MattyCollector, BBTS has them, but marked up $70.

It doesn't launch nearly as far as the Vintage one, the missile's a bit squidgy for safety reasons, and you only get one of 'em. It's not colossal, but it's big enough to require planning ahead to find someplace to put it. But it's still damn cool, and you get a War Sled with it. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, mate.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

It's still really cool. I forgot it came with Man-At-Arms. Maybe drop some hints. There's plenty of time between now and Christmas, maybe the kids could pool their money (with a 'lil help). ;-)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:27 am

So, what does everyone else think about the Power-Con exclusives?

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the figures themselves. I wanted the red Granamyr, and I got him. I've already got a Beast Man in the "correct" colours. And I never even knew about Cammo Khan until a couple of years ago, so had no nostalgic attachment to the character. I mean, I'll probably try to get a set for the sake of completeness when the time comes, but I won't pitch a fit if I don't succeed.

What has me foaming-at-the-mouth furious is the fact that a small clique of fans has been permitted to dictate what gets produced in the line and determine how it gets distributed and who may or may not be allowed to have the privilege of attempting to get them. And to me, that's just wrong. I'm much more upset on behalf of the people who really, really wanted these and probably won't have them than I am for the state of my own collection. And unless a message is sent that this practice is unacceptable, there's a greater chance this stunt may get pulled again and again and again. I think it should be nipped in the bud.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 am

Oh the uproar!

Power Con is still a fledgling convention, and especially with the struggle they had last year when they tried to bring it to the East Coast. I can't help but partially feel that I contributed to it's failure since I was holding off on purchasing my tickets, so if in the end this helps bring more people to the convention, then I think all the better. I *am* planning on attending, making that into reality is another thing, but I will find a way to make it happen.

As far as the exclusives themselves, I think they're good choices. They're not "must-haves" or anything that would leave a gaping hole in anyone's collection by not owning them. Even if I wasn't planning on attending, I wouldn't be too worried.

Oh, the Illumina-ti are pissed! I've seen their responses, they're so annoying! Talk about narcissistic, entitled douchebags!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Once again, Val proves the most divisive factor in this fandom. };D
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm

I don't see getting bent out of shape about the Con exclusives, this is how con exclusives work. In tgst sense, it's no different than rotar and machu pichu or whatever being the sdcc exclusives, except that those were actually new characters...

On the other hand, where a con plagued by money issues suddenly comes by this kind of non-essential scratch, now that's a mystery worthy of Robert stack himself. The Con last year got too big for its britches and as I recall, try mentioned then that didn't even know if there would be another con because they took a big hit on those plans... now they have up front money for not one but 3 proprietary figures? That's... funny. Either Mattel has had some inexplicable change of heart as it pertains to handing out goodies to motuc fans, or there's something weird going on. Cheaper figures, new subs, bigger playsets, more vehicles, con exclusives... I don't even have a theory yet, but I see a lot of details that don't add up. Val is a beneficiary of a regime change that carries with it a seemingly unexplainable invigoration.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I think the Con grew too quickly too fast. They really should have just focused on MOTU/POP for the first few years. By bringing in Thundercats and TMNT I think they had hoped to appear to more people, acknowleding that there is a lot of crossover in the fandoms by eighties fans. From what I understand they lost a lot of money bringing in voice talent --- all of which costs money. Cons like these which aren't going to attract more than potentially a few hundred folks in it's first years aren't money makers. Having experience throwing a national Rocky Horror Picture Show convention with approx. 400 attendees we kept our costs down by focusing on the community within the fandom and the experience itself --- not by paying actors their appearance fees. Of course I can only play Monday Morning QB, and comparing the MOTU/POP fandoms to RHPS may be like comparing apples and oranges...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:43 pm

dayraven wrote:On the other hand, where a con plagued by money issues suddenly comes by this kind of non-essential scratch, now that's a mystery worthy of Robert stack himself.

Well, there are all those links at the top of the forum pages asking people to donate to The Org . . . .

And anyway, the main thing about MOTUC con exclusives so far, is that apart from Battle Armour Faker, they have all been available on MattyCollector.com after the fact, in large enough numbers. They've all lasted at least a couple of days, giving just about everyone a good chance at getting them.

These? Don't get me started. I'm already wading in with my battle-hammer over at MattyCollector.com's forums and not backing down one iota.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:48 am

you get more entertaining cosplayers at RHPS cons i wager... and i bet the blowjobs are stunningly easy to come by. :eek:

donations are one thing, but the org doesn't have nearly the populace it used to have, and it wasn't that many folks at it's peak. the enrollment numbers dwarf the number of folks with the time and resources and inclination to attend the con.

for the record, i have fear that anti he man will be german con only...

it just seems that post-scott, everyone is sitting on resources that weren't previously available... was this guy really this much of a cancer? i mean, i didn't like him or his style, and i think at his actual job title, he was scandalously inept, but i didn't think he was a leech, or that level of inept... did he really not know how to go about submitting for a budget? was he skimming off that budget? was he coqkblocking the flow of money somehow? even at the org? is mattel offering these variants cheap as a hand shake to the org community? have they suddenly looked at their books and realized that motuc is making money, so they're investing more heavily? (losing some licenses will do that to a company, but then, they went and bought up thundercats... no sense makes that move.) i just still struggle to understand what i'm seeing. i'm guessing they moved factories, or negotiated to use more regrind plastics and so, the per figure has dropped significantly... time will tell of course, but i see that as far more likely that mattel having a change of heart and investing in the line at the expense of their own profit margin.

that said, don't think i don't sympathize beedo... green granamyr especially should have been the standard release, and having all three available to the general public would make sense for mattel... put a con exclusive sticker on the box for power con or something, and make them available for all
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:44 am

What's an RHPS con, mate?

As for Anti-He-Man, the German folks have weighed in on that, and apparently, they'd rather just have the Convention than try to get official exclusives for it as well. Most likely, he's the Chase Figure for next year.

And, yeah, special packaging for the con, not-so-special packaging for the MattyCollector stuff. As an opener, I could so live with that. Much fairer all around. Like I said, none of these exclusives really catch my eye, but I know a LOT of people wanted Green Granamyr, not quite as many wanted Red Beast Man, and I can think of at least one reviewer associated with this site who has a serious jones for Cammo Khan.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com