2015 Sub

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: 2015 Sub

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 pm

In the Icons of Evil comics, the reason Mer-Man came into the service of Skeletor was because war had already devastated his home territory -- a war that he caused out of greed and pride. Wish I'd bought the trade paperback of those years ago. They're going for ridiculous sums on Amazon, and I've only got the Mer-Man and Trap-Jaw individual issues.

I like your idea of Duncan cobbling together something wrongly and still making it work! Point Dread and the Talon Fighter, I'm sticking to the mini-comic version of the tale, that it warps around Eternia, only appearing for one day every 100 years unless someone claims it. Now, with Wind Raiders, Sky Sleds, Rotons, and other flying vehicles, it's much more likely to be able to bag it when it makes its next reappearance. The good guys will eventually claim it and park it out on top of Castle Grayskull, of course, but Duncan won't be able to figure out its time-delayed teleportation. He might be able to reverse-engineer a teleporter, but not as precise, portable, and controllable as Point Dread's.

I recall in some of the mini-comics that He-Man would say something like "I call upon the power of the Thunder Punch!" and then KABLAMMO! Oddly, though, he often didn't change his outfit. I remember that at least once, Flying Fists He-Man was just He-Man . . . with speed-blurred arms. And Terror Claws Skeletor was The Original! Skeletor with big pointy gloves.

I like how The Power of Grayskull "knew" to add Snake Armour to Adam when he needed it. Perhaps, if you keep in mind what you're up against, the Power will provide. (That definitely sounds like something the Sorceress would say.) With the power sword, I would think that the sword Adam ends up with would give him all the powers of Castle Grayskull, but there are secrets (like, as you say, the Book of Living Spells, and perhaps other artefacts) contained in the castle that are not actually part of its power. Which, as you say, would mean there's still stuff worth fighting over the castle for even if He-Man is already in control of some serious power.

Blade vs. Tri-Klops . . . interesting! Considering Blade was supposed to be Tri-Klops in the film (but it didn't work out), I'd say they'd be fairly evenly matched, skill-wise.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

that is true, in the comics, he didn't need to completely reconfigure his look to deploy an ability like the TP, but then, he only used the powers that had distinct toys released... it's interesting to imagine if he could create new specific upgrades and how those might work...

as far as blade and trik, i would tend to agree, but since they both now coexist in the universe, one has to be better than the other at something, right? as a counter example, we know that dekker trained MAA but seems to lack MAA''s technical ability, which to me says, what MAA does w/ tech, dekker was doing with good old fashioned iron horse muscle and skill. in a fight, i pick the old man... but then we added sir lazer lot, and he's supposedly one of the finest hand to hand combatants ever. so who wins in that fight? for me, i think it depends on the tools they access and the setting. on the field, everyone armed, mass chaos all around, SLL all the way... but in a back alley or bar, improvised weapons, dekker 100% of the time. likewise, i think if whiplash and ram man ever threw down, rammie wins handily. you'd need someone like webstor, who fights with stealth and guile, to beat rammie, no one on the evil warriors side is standing toe and toe to trade blows and walking away the victor. i think if you want someone truly ruthless, truly unscrupulous, truly sinister, to do something enormously wrong to someone, you call trap jaw. there's something about that character that to me implies that of all the baddies, he's the one most likely to invent something new to mangosteen you up. like, yeah, if you're interrogated by evil lyn, it sucks, by spikor, it sucks worse, but trap jaw... it'd be more humane to lick a shadowbeast's backside. you give up state secrets to trap jaw and no one in randor's court thinks less of you.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:23 pm

I would then imagine that Blade is the more proficient swordsman of the two, but Tri-Klops has more bounty-hunter tricks up his metaphorical sleeve, and would be more inclined to fight dirty and use traps and grenades and suchlike if he thought he was losing ground, thereby putting him back at an advantage.

And yeah, a good ranking system would help matters. I think we've discussed this before in one of the other threads, the different stats and criteria by which they could be ranked.

i think if you want someone truly ruthless, truly unscrupulous, truly sinister, to do something enormously wrong to someone, you call trap jaw. there's something about that character that to me implies that of all the baddies, he's the one most likely to invent something new to mangosteen you up. like, yeah, if you're interrogated by evil lyn, it sucks, by spikor, it sucks worse, but trap jaw... it'd be more humane to lick a shadowbeast's backside. you give up state secrets to trap jaw and no one in randor's court thinks less of you.

. . . and now I just realised what Trap-Jaw's hook is for. And now I'm picturing a whole bunch of attachments in racks, down in the dungeons of Snake Mountain, that we haven't seen yet. Horrible, scary attachments that would make surgeons squeak in terror. He would make you watch while he took his time, lovingly perusing his devices, trying to find the right motivational tool. Unless you go the Millennial route, and as Trappy's claw retracts, with a sinister whir and the ring of metal, something that looks like BIRTHING FORCEPS WITH SPIKES AND A DENTIST DRILL COMES OUT OF HIS ARM!!! The forceps snap a couple of times, the drill whines, and before you even find out what part of the body he's going to use it on, you're telling him about the secret passage under the dungeon that you can access by pushing on the stalagmite next to the large verdigris bush and it leads up to a chamber just behind the throne room OH, PLEASE, GODS, TAKE IT AWAAAAAY!!!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 pm

exactly. [smile] an evening with trap jaw should serve as the antithetical experience to an evening with flutterina.

and not to sound sexist in the above, when we discuss the characters, and establishing some kind of ranking system, i tend to name he-man characters first and foremost, but she-ra and the grrrl power crew need to be right in the thick of that too... for example, i'd love to know how shadow weaver and evil lyn would match up against each other, i want to know if castaspella is the female equivalent of eldor, i want to know exactly how strong she-ra is... cuz i'm guessing that bitch can throw down when properly motivated. i don't feel like the filmation cartoon ever gave her a chance for that, and hopefully this new comic will kind of uncork her personal might. times have changed, and i think we're far less scared of strong female characters now(strong ethically and physically), so hopefully we see the PoP crew get bumped up a few notches to fit into the larger mythos better.

FUN FACT: while typing the above, i temporarily blanked on castaspella's name. in an attempt to draw that factoid from the little gray cells, i kept trying out names that seemed about right, and one of them was spectacularly off... ensorcelita. but that one was so bad, it jarred my memory... and then left me wanting a hispanic PoP character going by that name.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Ensorcelita? Dude. Repaint. };D
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 am

it's kind of fun having a whole board to ourselves, isn't it? [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Yump. };D
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Yarp!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 am

Buzz-Saw Hordak. Again, not quite there. Had to whittle down the clip on his chest-door because it was too damn nerve-wracking to try to open it again once it was closed. Also, paint issues and slightly bobble-headed with one loose-ish ankle. >Sigh.<
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:24 pm

I don't plan on opening mine. I seem to have amassed a collection of MOC Hordaks... with the exception of the standard Hordak I have Hurricane, Spirit Of, Filmation, and Buzz Saw all MOC.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com