2015 Sub

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

2015 Sub

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am

Well, folks, in case you haven't heard elsewhere, the 2015 sub reached 90%. So they're extending the sign-up period this weekend from the 22nd to the 25th. If you're sitting on the fence in any way, this weekend would be a good time to help out!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Re: 2015 Sub

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:24 pm

I ordered one sub when they first came out. I call BS on 90%. I wish Mattel would stop playing this game.
mkultra
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:49 pm

I know what you mean, MKU. I just want this frigging sub to go through. Enough with the tension, enough with the conspiracies and conspiracy theories. Just make it happen, Mattel, and let us get on with our lives.

I've signed up for two subs, myself. Partly to help out, and partly because there are so many display options and custom fodder coming out next year. I've also offered to buy unwanted figures off anyone who's been fence-sitting or refusing to sub just because they don't want Oo-Larr or the MYP 2-Pack or the PoP ladies, in an effort to get them to sub up, too. No takers, though.

Anywho, I know you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch, but I've planned ahead for 2015. I really hope it goes through . . . .

Lizard Man - one to keep as-is, one to make Brown Bespectacled Lizard Man
Ninjor - one masked and Vintage-y, one unmasked with new belt, second extra belt goes to Jitsu
Oo-Larr - one as-is, one Alcala head goes on extra He-Man body, one Vintage head goes on extra He-Man body, one Vintage head gets repainted into Wun-Dar
Huntara - one to keep as-is (likely with custom soft-goods hood), the other for possible custom-fodder
SA He-Man - one to keep as He-Man (head-swap, though), one to turn into SA Grayskull
BA King Hssss - one in Human form, one in Serpent form
Flying Fists He-Man - one to keep, one to sell off
Laser Power He-Man - one to keep, one to sell off
Rotar - one to keep, one to sell off
Terror Claws Skeletor - one to keep, one to sell off
Laser Light Skeletor - one to keep as-is, one to try out a soft-goods upgrade
Saurod - one to keep, one for custom fodder
Twistoid - one to keep, one to sell off
Sssqueeze - one to keep, one for custom fodder
Blast-Attak - one intact, one blown apart
Buzz-Saw Hordak - one to keep, one to sell off
Multi-Bot - one to keep as-is, one to merge into MegaBeast with some extra Modulok parts *
Dragstor - one to keep, one to sell off
Mara - one to keep, one for custom fodder
Unknown slots - Who knows?

* and if I can bag a third, Filmation repaint!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 am

i think noisy covered a lot of my opinions on this in the piece for double pene... i mean, double trouble. but i feel like mattel has worked overtime to shoot themselves in the foot on the subscription model, and i feel like they've overestimated the buying power of the vocal "vintage only" crowd... you plan a year that basically only caters to them, and you don't hit your sales goal, because they're the squeaky wheel, but there's four wheels on a cart.

i do think the sub will hit goal, and a number of the figs shown will get made and sold because they're too far along now, but missing out on things like sssqquueeeze or blast attak would hurt. a little. it would actually bother me more on your behalf beedo, than it would my own. [smile] you want this sub year way more than i do, and we're so friggin close!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I know, mate, and thanks. To get this close and have the "last year" taken away from us at the last moment, that'd just be devastating. Apart from the next Star Wars film (which I'm rather lackadaisical about at the moment, actually), MOTUC is the only thing I'm looking forward to next year.

Well, we'll see, eh?
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Turns out there was enough interest in DCUC after all that we will get Doomsday unleashed for the holidays!

At least Mattel never changes the story to fit their currant needs. :matty: :fedup:
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 am

Well -- and all things considered, me sticking up for Mattel is surprising in and of itself -- considering the size and scope of the Doomsday moulds, they probably had both versions ready to go well in advance of the DC sub failing (long lead-in time, etc.), and they wanted to recoup some costs. And they're actually giving fans what they want.

I can't believe I just typed that without being ironic.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Mr Spock » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 pm

The MOTUC sub reached it's minimum sales days if not weeks ago, and now we are in "scrape up a few more subs for good measure" mode. The 90% is a lie... the 10% is a lie. Ultimately, they don't want fans knowing even a rough idea of where they actually are in sales. It's all scare tactics whether you believe it or not. I don't need proof... and if I'm wrong and come Tuesday Neitlich tells us the sub isn't happening, then I'll admit I was wrong... but not before I rule out that it all wasn't part of the grand scheme to begin with. ;)

Think about it, why take a gamble with producing JUMBO figures... AND minis... on top of classics if the line is really in danger? ... unless they are that pineapple and think they just can't lose as long as it's got MOTU on the package, which is also very possible.

Neitlich is trying to get as many sales as possible over the minimum, It makes him look good in the eyes of his bosses... after 6-7 years we are still falling for the same tricks??? Really?
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm

We'll see what happens. Me, I got my two subs, and can buy no more. But I will continue to boost to try to get others on board, especially the ones on the fence who, despite being told ON EVERY SINGLE BOARD THERE IS THAT ALL REMAINING VINTAGE CHARACTERS WILL BE MADE IN 2015 IF THE SUB GOES THROUGH, still keep posting that they won't sub up until they see more Vintage reveals.

Calm. Calm. Mustn't burn. Mustn't kill.

Yet.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Mr Spock » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm

I can't blame some maniacs for not wanting to sub unless they see a few more reveals. For one thing, the first quarter 2015 reveals had no WOW factor, with the exception of Ninjor. Second, Scott can say, "Do the math" all he wants, that it's a no brainer and we all know what the remaining vintage figures are... but that doesn't mean he intends to release them. Plus, this is the first year that the first quarter reveals were lackluster. In past years the first few figures were clearly revealed to entice people to sub. This time, it's more like they purposely didn't want to reveal too much in fear that it might sway people from subbing, but in this case it had the opposite effect. Apparently some people HAVE learned that Scott will say ANYTHING to get people to sub. He will also not disclose as much as possible if it means getting people to sub. Yes, Scott has said all remaining vintage figures are coming... but Scott is not known for keeping his word to say the least. So again, I can't blame fans for wanting to see proof that a few more vintage figures have at least been sculpted before subbing. The fact that he refuses to show more is not because of legality issues, he doesn't want vintage fans to see that there are more filler figures for 2015, than vintage figures. I actually think that he intends to save a few vintage figures for a potential rebranding of the line in 2016. This is all speculation of course... I don't have "PROOF", but based on the track record of Scott Neitlich, I think it is safe to assume that any theories, although improbable, are very possible.
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com