2015 Sub

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: 2015 Sub

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am

Opened Dragstor last night. Overall he's very solid. If I want to nitpick, I'd say that I'm a little disappointed they did not include the "arm pads" on the back of his arms, but of course that was purely a functional addition for the original figure to accommodate the action feature. That said they did include the little hole for the ripcord. I know some folks are annoyed by those little details (like the dial on Sy-Klone) but I absolutely love them. Also, the ripcord weapon is super neat too. Much like Blast-Attak it was completely unnecessary but a nice inclusion and really adds value to the figure.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:19 pm

so, my thoughts on the club eternia sub qrt 4 figs...

firstly, let me just say, i, my wallet, and my wife are glad this damned sub is over. i'm done, i'm out... and i got poop chuted on the damned king hiss, cuz while i love the millennial hiss, i'm just not coming back for that snake body that i should have already gotten. not doing it, and it does suck, but over the course of this year, i bit down hard and embraced the suck. this year almost made me resent my collection of action figures, that's how bad this year went down. i've literally re-evaluated my entire action figure collection and will be liquidating a good chunk of it, at a financial loss mind you, but i'd rather have it out of my life than keep looking at it... and while it's not entirely mattel's fault, a lot of the introspection that got me here was due to their marketing/sales paradigm for motuc.

SO, the single pack figs... i had to buy perfuma. i now have to smell perfuma, which, fun fact, my wife smelled, and called my two children into our living room, made them each sniff her, and then lectured, and this is 100% true, "this is what a whore smells like boys. don't ever bring home a woman who smells like this, or i'll kick your ass." i hate that figure, she is the biggest point of resentment this year, followed closely by gwildor. she is why i hate the sub model.

dragstor- i didn't hate this figure! i like his version of the horde crossbow, i like the grapnel blade, and i like some of the changes in aesthetic he got as an update. i continue to lament the lack of real ankle rockers, cuz let's face it, what we've gotten from the last year of figures is more akin to a flaw in manufacturing than a real point of articulation. and for some reason, mine has an issue with the left quadriceps wanting to slip over the pee flap, instead of under like the right quad does, and it janks up his range of motion. weird. of the figure from this shipment, he's my favorite, and a nice completion of the horde.

dare- i don't despise this figure as much as i thought he would, but largely because i intend him as fodder for some 3rd party upgrades. he won't be "dare aka he-ro 2" for much longer. the recolored NA armor is fodder bin material, the sword went immediately to laser power he-man, but it kind of sucks compared to the evil mike version i got off shapeways, so it's likely fodder material as well. keeping the pistol, but i had to warm back to straight cuz it was WARPED! i don't want to say how warped, but casey catanzaro showed up out of nowhere and ran up it. [smile]

the two packs!
LL skellie and LP he-man... firstly, he-man... the arm armor went IMMEDIATELY, it's janky, it's dumb, i hated it. second, the light up sword, it's the worst accessory i've ever seen, and remember, i lived through transformers, gi joe, the original TMNT line, fighting foodons, samurai pizza cats... you mangosteen name it. they all, collectively, had better accessories than that stupid mangosteen sword. HATE IT. it came off almost immediately, and will never be put back on anything. i wouldn't give that toy to a kid i hated. now, once stripped of those accessorial abortions, i like the figure. the head sculpt is classic djordje and he's always my fave. the boots are cool, and give him a little height, and i love the nifty slip in of the added wrist articulation that lets him extend the sword in a swordly way. the whole GD line should have had that hinge, so both figures that have it make the litany of figures that don't look like day old dog starfruit. and then skeletor... oh my god. i've never hated an action figure so severely as i do this figure. he's literally getting parted out and thrown away. i'm harvesting the three functional limbs for a new gar character and the rest of him, it's all garbage. i hate the mechanism, i hate the sculpting, i don't even like the half assed havoc staff, cuz to me, while the light up function is a cute idea, the execution is terrible. the thing is soft, the sculpt looks an elephant sculpted it, and just in general... yuk. this figure makes the list of reasons why i hated subbing, because left to my own devices, i'd have passed on this set. LP he-man is cool, but not cool enough to justify the craporama that is LL skellie.

and finally, FF he-man vs TC skellie. i like this skellie. i don't have the halter top aversion some people do, though i absolutely see it, and i like the darker blue he's cast in. i like the terror claws, though they're very par for the course for why i hate the vintage purists, because there's nothing upscaled or modern about them. i'd have loved some more refined details, or you know, PAINT! mother mangosteen PAINT! this duo definitely puts lint in my butter as it pertains to paint, the lack of paint here ruins what could have been a decent set. i've never understood the dragon attachment thing, and i understand even less without the waist swinging gimmick, but it's there... that's the highest praise i can offer it, it indeed exists. :roll: he-man, the lack of paint is just appalling here. i don't need chrome, i just like something that isn't caveman grey. i god damned hate the flat grey, and while it's egregious on the armor, it's a triple sin on the sword, because we've bought that damned sword like 20 times now, and you can mangosteen find it in the mangosteen budget to add .0004 cents worth of mangosteen silver lead paint!!!! god dammit, that sword is less an accessory and more of an insult. it's a spit in the eye to every customer who faithfully bought this starfruit line blindly trusting in mattel not to roll them over and cornhole them. well, i might be alone in it, but i feel cornholed, and without even a dabble of the motion lotion that makes that experience vaguely pleasurable. that sword is a synopsis of everything this line did to cheat us out of a good deal, and it's why i changed my mind on trying to get in on the snake king hsss mode still coming. cuz mangosteen it, there's so much better i can do with that time and money than waste it on another mattel fecal stain on the trouser of my beloved hobby.

on a completely other note, some recent purchases have left me with a very positive take on the hobby as a whole, and further convinced me that future mattel acquisitions are just not what i want in toys any more... more on that tomorrow in the appropriate thread.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am

I too feel a sense of relief that the 2015 calendar year is over. I'm subbed up for both subs in 2016, but it's on a friend's card, so I am still technically on the hook for these, but it's not my bank account thats being drafted! Natch.

Sorry you feel you can't enjoy your collection. I'm just sorta savoring the moment and basking in the glory of having a "complete" collection.

Haha... so you could say that Perfuma provided a teaching moment! She's not quite as pungent now that she's been out for a while, but for the first few weeks every time I came upstairs to my apartment I would catch a whiff.

I haven't opened up Dare yet, but I think I will soon. Personally I don't like the whole idea of "King He-Man" or his Son. I guess it's cool that they made him since this was where they wanted to take the vintage line originally, so that's finally come to fruition, but alas, if I'm going to have toys on display, the focus is going to be on He-Man in his prime and the characters of that ilk. It's not to say that I'll never display him with He-Ro, Eldor, & Co, but most likey I may just end up throwing him in the back of my NA collection as fodder.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Now, see, when I smell Perfuma, she reminds me of the smell of Grandma Pat's dressing-table, which had decades of rose-scented powder in its drawers.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:27 am

Yeah... Perfuma definitely smells like "old people"... specifically grandmother that wears too much Jean Nate.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 am

Also, in response to DR's thoughts on the Laser figures...

I'm sure I've already mentioned that I didn't have a ton of interest in these, but I'm sure there were many in my boat who didn't have them as kids, or even know they existed until they went to He-Man.org in the late '90s.

I agree about He-Man's janky armor... but I guess the "jankiness" is what appeals to me. It's true, they could have been executed a whole lot better. In fact, if they stuck to their initial "prime directive" and didn't do action figures I probably could live with that, but on the other hand I might not like them as much if that was the case. These are figures that will always have an asterisk next to them in my collection.

Stripped of the backpack, Laser He-Man is fantastic, I do love the head sculpt, it merges vintage and NA.

Skeletor in all right looks like crap, the head sculpt is slavishly vintage, but I guess if we had to get these I wouldn't have it any other way. Otherwise he'd just be a slight variation of NA Skelly (BTW, anyone else here hope we ever get Disks of Doom Skeletor?).

If I wasn't "subbed in" I'm not sure I would have bought this set. At this point I'm 98% "all in" but that is a byproduct of subbing. At this point it's easier for me to list figures I don't have, and that's a very short list.

So FF He-Man and TC Skelly...

Another two figures that I didn't have as a kid, so no nostalgia pulling at my heart strings. That said I did know about them thanks to the backs of minicomics, so there was part of me that always wanted them, specifically He-Man, but also Skelly.

I understand people's criticisms of the "halter top" and the darker skin, but I'm down. The Terror Claws themselves left me wanting a bit more. They do seem a bit plain, so maybe more paint would have been nice. The dragon attachment is probably what I thought was cool about TC Skelly.

He-Man definitely underwhelms here, which is disappointment because he easily should have been the better of the two. No, I guess I technically don't need chrome (a la Hurricane Hordak) but I think it looses something in translation. I've seen a handful of FF He-Men in person over the years and the vac metal is what makes it really stand out from the rest. The muted "caveman" grey here just doesn't have the same effect. Even if they had done him in color similar to He-Ro's armor it would have been an improvement.

I didn't have as strong opinion to He-Man's sword as DR, but it was a disappointment and the other two accessories just kinda feel cheap, not sure if it's the kind of plastic or if maybe they would have benefited from some paint, but either way a let down.

Overall not as happy with TC Skelly and TP He-Man. Sure I guess I might as well have them since I have every other one they've released, and yes I grew to like them more once I opened them but I think its more of a matter of trying to convince myself that I do.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 pm

thanks prfkt, nice to know i'm not completely out on an island with my thoughts... lp he-man does have some nice redeeming features, and the best thing about him is, the offensive pieces are all optional. that skelly, the fact that you're locked in to that thing just burns my ass. and to be honest, i don't think a device that guanabana was at all necessary to make the mechanism work. i just recently bought a 4 dollar ultrafire flashlight off amazon, and the whole device isn't the size of the skelly backpack... and that's with room for a double A battery in it! whatsmore, that sucker blows out 300 lumens, WAY more than the brightness of the skelly eyes & arm. i don't think the mattel folks were really in their depth designing that light feature.

one thing i must say in lp he-man's defense though, seriously, i love the added wrist articulation, which if i recall, will be standard on the filmation sub. that was a nice addition. too little too late for me personally, but still.

i tell you the thing i don't get about the ff he-man... we now have 2 djordje he-heads to choose from, and what, three from treadaway? and the treadaways, you can swap hair onto a different head... there's no reason to rehash the precise head we've bought again and again... and again and again and again... when you could, for example, give us the oo-lar hair on he-man head, or vice versa? i've bought a ton of he-men, having a few different looks to spread around would be much appreciated. (the more i think about this, does anyone want the smirking adam face again, regardless of the hair? i bet not)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 am

Well, I got a ransom notice yesterday, so it looks as if I'll have my last MOTUC shipment for 2015 tomorrow. Huzzah!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Huzzah!

So Pixel Dan posted, apparently Toy Guru reached out to him and told him to spread the word that He-Ro II/Dare was packed wearing the wrong harness, he should have been wearing the techno-vest. Apparently the blue harness he's currently packed wearing was meant to be used with for Vykron and swapping out the heads. He posted a pic on his Instagram, it looks pretty neat if I do say so.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:17 am

Still thinking about how to go about He-Ro II. I know I'm going to dry-brush a white-blond colour over his sandy hair to make him look more like the promotional images. After that, not too sure.

Got some purple snakeskin-print fabric for Prahvus' cape. Not a great match, pattern-wise, but it looks a bit more "realistic" than the ultra-triangular pattern he had.

And then there's Laser Light Skeletor. Got some good fabric. Just got to get around to making the cape. But I'm still saying that about Scare Glow and Hordak . . . .
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com