Fighting Foe Men (& Woman) (May)

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Fighting Foe Men (and Woman)

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 am

That's awesome you have those Spock! [smile]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 pm

i noticed there that mr spock has two of the three holding not-theirs weapons... now i know why. and honesty, ditz can barely hold that cannon. usually, i don't beef too hard on the engineering, but there is not a single i got w/ my set that fits easily or naturally in the hand of the figure they came with, w/ the sole exception of ditz's staff, that works fine. sherri's cannon thing, i messed with it for about five minutes before setting it aside and finding the extra evil lyn knife i had lurking around. her shield fits ok, but i had to find the sweet spot on it to really stay in place, and it's too heavy for her arm, it tends to pull down the shoulder. dawg can't really grip his club in either hand, the space for the hand isn't as tall as his thumb. the shield is already showing stretch from me trying to clip it to his hand (it's not even close to fitting as it properly should, over the wrist band) and it kept coming off anyway... and then there's ditz' square gun grip for a round hand... yeah, that was bright. and the actual round handle it comes with leaves it sitting in a way that looks nothing like an actual gun would in the usable position. just fargin dumb engineering all 'round here. it's a good thing i like the actual figures or i'd be furious over what i payed vs what i got. as it is, i'm disappointed, the mode i've come to expect when buying a motuc. :moresad:

why do i keep doing this to myself? largely because i believe in self-flagellation. :raven:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mr Spock » Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 am

I actually never even tried to fit their respective weapons into their hands. I knew weeks before I received them that I was not going to use their shields and weapons because of their aesthetics. I think too much emphasis was put into trying to make the model vehicle cannons into hand held weapons... and they failed miserably at the translation. I don't wish to use the Roton Driver's weapon, but at the moment I've nothing to replace it with. LOL!
IMO the shields look absolutely ridiculous. A shield that looks like a top view of the Talon Fighter? And a shield that looks like a track from the Attak Trak? ... LAME! The Staff for the Roton driver was also a poor design choice.

Another gripe I have is the Attak Trak drivers head. They made it a one-piece design. WHY? One of the best things about female figures is the look of their faces, including the detail in their eyes. They gave the Talon Fighter pilot removable goggles, why couldn't they do the same thing with the female??? FAIL!
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 pm

see, i love the staff for the roton driver (that's ditztroyer, for anyone paying attention at home) because it can snag or "break" swords, hand axes, lochabers, or even the cables on banes or iron mongers... think of that staff in kung fu terms, and it suddenly is an awesome design. and it's the best fitting weapon of the lot that i've discovered thusfar.

sherrilyn's shield is... large. i don't love the design, but i don't dislike it, if it didn't manipulate the articulation so much when i played with her, it wouldn't bug me so much, but that thing transfers force like a bitch. any slight bingle contact and it whips her arm around. in the immortal words of carlito caribbean cool, "that's not cool." and her gun, once it's in place, is likely never coming out of her hand... that's good. but the chore to get it into her hand... "that's not cool." i figure the adora gun is a fine substitute, so you chose well there. and man, i'd like dawg-o-tor's club just fine if the grip were just a little taller, and it fit slightly snugger in his hand. i like the spike out the bottom, for parrying or accupressure attacks, i like the club head for parrying, sapping and bashing attacks, it's really a great weapon design, if you had the muscles to wield it deftly... and he does. but if he can't grip it without it going all akimbo from the slightest graze, it muddles his thumb in a weird way to put in in the first place, i'm disincentivized from deploying it.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby BiggestDawg » Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 pm

I love your pics mr. Spock. Did u have the model kits already or did you hunt them down when you found out about the foe men set?

I had no problem getting the weapons into the hands of my figures. I like the weapons and shields except for Dizzt's rifle and Dawg's shield.
BiggestDawg
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Bigbot84 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:03 am

I don't know how Ditz is supposed to hold that rifle and not look ridiculous. I feel like it's missing another handle in the open area of the gun.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 am

Bigbot84 wrote:I don't know how Ditz is supposed to hold that rifle and not look ridiculous. I feel like it's missing another handle in the open area of the gun.

exactly. i think him holding the rear handle looks best, but being a square handle in a round grip means it's in there but only barely.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mr Spock » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 am

BiggestDawg wrote:I love your pics mr. Spock. Did u have the model kits already or did you hunt them down when you found out about the foe men set?

LOL! After realizing that matty is pretty much trying to phase out DOS, I came to the conclusion that the sub is the only option for me If I want to collect this line. So I made a deal with myself. If I could track down the model kits by the time the lite sub goes on sale, I will get the sub. Unfortunately I spared no expense and paid top dollar for the model kits, but I had a blast building them. Thanks for the kind words. :)
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 am

So the Fighting Foe Men ---

Like most I think, I am completely disregarding the bio for these figures. Whereas previously unreleased figures such as Vikor, Demo-Man, He-Ro, etc. had some sort of roots in the MOTU mythos --- these guys are taken right off the box art from the old Monogram MOTU model kits. At least the Pointer Sisters had an appearance in the FILMation POP animated series.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 pm

PrfktTear wrote:So the Fighting Foe Men ---

Like most I think, I am completely disregarding the bio for these figures. Whereas previously unreleased figures such as Vikor, Demo-Man, He-Ro, etc. had some sort of roots in the MOTU mythos --- these guys are taken right off the box art from the old Monogram MOTU model kits. At least the Pointer Sisters had an appearance in the FILMation POP animated series.

yeah... and it's not particularly interesting to boot. like, ok, so they made these cool vehicles... how? are they mechanical genuises? then talk about that. did they stumble upon these great artifacts of a bygone golden age, and claim ownership of powers that weren't really theirs? then say that...

personally, i like the link of ditstroyer's uniform (yes, i'm trying to make the best of the parts reuse as a story tool), so for that character, i've made him a Cosmic Assassin, the counterbalance to the Cosmic Enforcers' he came deliberately to muddy the waters on eternia, and the other foe men are his witless pawns. they're just a couple of teenage hooligans, but under the guidance of this sneaky bastard, they got a hold of these powerful artifact vehicles, made custom weapons and armor that allow to utilize the powers of the vehicles from afar (think if Michael Knight had a suit of KITT armor made), and he's set them at the task of mucking up the waters. he doesn't care who wins or loses, so long as there is strife. why? who fargin knows, this psycho got kicked out of the Cosmic Enforcers! he's strong, devious, and apolitical. there's easy story to tell w/ that, and the above paragraph is barely longer than the official bio. doesn't take much to do better than the geniuses at mattel.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com