So, who's still essential?

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: So, who's still essential?

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Its funny how everyone's lists can vary so differently in regards to who is considered "essential" or just "want to have".

-x
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby DVD » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 am

MOTU: Ram Man, Mekanek, Two Bad, Jitsu
POP: Glimmer, Queen Angela, Kowl, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, Modulok, Scorpia
Snake Men: Rattlor, Tung Lashor, Snake Face, Ssssqueeze
NA: He-Man, Hydron, Skeletor, Flogg
I'd be pretty satisfied with just those figures alone, but I know we'll get much more than that!
DVD

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am

Considering how plain jane and lack of surprises too many of these figures have ended up, my list of "essentials" has drastically scaled back during the last couple of years.

Figures I'm 99% sure I'll buy "knowing" what they'll look like:

Clamp Champ
Blade
Extendar
Evilseed
Jitsu
Ram Man
Gwildor
Tung Lashor
Snake Face
Sssqueeze
Rattlor
Mekaneck
Two Bad
Horde Troopers
Stonedar
Rokkon
Marlena 2.0, possibly other 2.0's
certain more interestingly-executed NA characters
possibly some Filmations like Strong Arm
any original 4H characters

Heads that are too goofy/cartoony a la Clawful/Leech/Spikor could be dealbreakers, but in general those are what I'd be signed up for. And yeah, some that are particularly well done could win me over too. Rio Blast isn't naturally at the top of the pile for me (sorry Noisy!) but guarantee me an awesome head sculpt and I'll happily buy him.

And yeah, I know, I should feel guilted by the MotU fandom for not really wanting to support the more fringe stuff like PoP B-listers and so on. But from my POV it isn't my fault. I just don't think that outside of the Classic MotU characters there are that many solid, unique characters that have stood the test of time. Yes, there are many with potential to have cool figures made from them, but not without more interpretation and redesign than what is permitted within the confines of MOTUC.

Just my take, no offense to fans of any particular character. [smile]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Considering how plain jane and lack of surprises too many of these figures have ended up, my list of "essentials" has drastically scaled back during the last couple of years.

Yes, there are many with potential to have cool figures made from them, but not without more interpretation and redesign than what is permitted within the confines of MOTUC.

Just my take, no offense to fans of any particular character. [smile]

that's where i'm at too, i'd love to see characters that are 3rd or 4th tier get a really outstanding update, but playing the odds of this like, i don't see it happening.

to tell the truth too, i think them getting the filmation library killed it too. think about this, when they got filmation, how long did they wait to give us a filmation character? any when they know that the filmation characters/loks are in high demand (aka instant sellthroughs) what motivates them to make the lesser characters any better? they know the NA figs aren't as popular, but rather than get motivated to innovate those designs and make them demanded characters/decos, they just scale back production on NA or PoP months, and then crank out a filmation character once per quarter to make their nut. filmation becomes the crutch that keeps them from ever getting motivated to get stronger.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 am

am i alone in wanting an eldor? i keep expecting him at SDCC, to mirror the he-ro release, but he's one of the few characters left on the "to do" list that i really feel like motuc won't feel complete w/out, for me personally. i know plenty of folks might disregard him, but i have a weakness for the "grizzled old mentor" character, so like eldor and dekkar are high on my list of wants, while clamp champ and NA he-man don't even blip on my radar... color me kooky.

and i'd love to see ceratus get made too, but i'd want a whole new tail. and since i won't get that, i don't really care. but i'd love to see a tail designed to extend further from the back, and then have at least two points of articulation so it could be posed bashing somebody. then again, part of my attraction to ceratus was the depiction in the cartoon, which had him muscular and lean vs whiplashes heavy broad build, and motuc loses that contract too... so again, i'm kind of "eh" on ceratus in execution... and wishing motuc were a better line. even in vintage motu, i could have had two different bodies for those characters.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 am

While I'm not Dying to have an Eldor, I wouldn't say no to him, since in my Fan-Continuity, Eldor's soul is Light Hope!
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 am

I'd definitely be down for Eldor.

He's probably the last of the "unproduced" figures that really NEEDS to be made in toy form IMO.

A few Filmation characters aside, pretty much everyone else has been toyified, even if the result was mediocre (ie. Cringer, etc).
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 pm

TBH there just aren't a lot of Filmation characters I'm interested in. I guess Evil Seed would be cool... but I'm sure there are people out there who want Shotki or even Plundor. Where do you stop it though? How about a Melaktha the royal archeologist?

For me lets finish up the good guys with Clamp Champ, Mekaneck, Ram-Man, and maybe Extendar for good measure. Lets get Two-Bad and Jitsu, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Tung Lashor, Snake Face, Sssqueeze, and Rattlor and I'll call it a day.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 pm

to me, several of the mini-comics exclusive characters are higher on my priority list than the filmation-exclusives are. some of the beasties from the early mini-comics and several of the one and done characters, like geldor, would be very cool and in general, they "fit" better than most of the filmation characters that were made to tell kiddie stories.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I don't know their names, but the "red guy" and the "green guy" from one of the minicomics would be a great two-pack. that i would be interested in...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com