MOTU Classics Customs and Corrections

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: MOTU Classics Customs and Corrections

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:27 am

These: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=glow+bracelets&biw=1280&bih=603&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwidw4aKwPLJAhUFLhoKHeg7Dv4Q_AUIBygC

I once had a set of really skinny ones that might've worked well, but that was years ago, and I've long since used them up.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

i've never seen one thin enough for what you have in mind beedo. 6 mil is the smallest i've even heard of, most of the ones i've seen are closer to 8 mil i think.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Oh, well, worth a shot. I got some from some party or other a while back that were very thin and would seem to be just the thing. No biggie.

I DID, however, take delivery of some ribbon today (Post on Christmas Eve? Wow!), which allowed me to finish this soft goods test-shot:

QUEEN VEENA

I replaced her wrap and loincloth with 1" ribbon, and kept the 1/8" ribbon wrap on her staff (which was cut from the final product). Obviously, the fabric needs "training" and readjusting a bit, but she's already lighter and a little more poseable. I'll keep at it and see what I can come up with.

Merry Christmas!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Looks great!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank 'e, mate!
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:37 am

Well, I finally got off my arse and got around to a couple of minor, minor tweaks. I'm hoping this means I can get back into some heavier customizing, soon . . . .

"FILMATION" MODULOK
(Re-Tweaked)

I wanted to get Modulok's Filmation look right, but he needed a green belt, and I couldn't figure out how to achieve that. But then I saw He-Mullet's version, and figured: well, so what if it's not a belt? What if that's a differently-coloured part of his mutant carapace? So I painted his waist-bit like He-Mullet did, except in a darker shade of green, to match the green used on his other parts (which aren't used on this iteration).

TERROR CLAWS SKELETOR
(Tweaked)

The darker shade on the production version of TC Skeletor's skin seemed to mute the contrast on all the other colours. So I took a "Standard" Skeletor, repainted the belt, and slapped on TC Skelly's armour and weapons. Oh, and I painted the inside of the Snapdragon's mouth, to match the original toy. I may do something to the Terror Claws themselves, but I need to think it through, first.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:48 pm

i like it! i have a different idea in mind for my TC skeletor, but i like what you did there. the claws... man, one of the shapeways printers has a set up and i've considered ordering those, but i'm very heavily leaning towards not, and scrapping the claws entirely to the fodder bin. i don't find TC a compelling variant, i have other plans for the base body, and after securing the alcala head to the dragon blaster body... i pretty much have exactly the skeletor i want. he is likely never going to be posed or play with with the claws, and certainly, not often enough to invest more money in them just to get sharper edges.

if you're keeping them though, i have to think metallic paint is the way to go. too bad there's no such thing as blued chrome paint. like blue vac metalling or something... that'd look sharp (pun intended)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 am

Thank 'e, mate! I keep seeing the occasional vac-metal custom online, but getting hold of the people who do them, or trying to secure the service is so difficult, I gave up years ago.

I could easily mix up some metallic indigo paint, though. I've still got some Games Workshop metallic blue (from when they made metallic colours), and various shades of purple. Thing is, I don't want to go overkill. Certainly on the rivets / spikes, and the fingers, but do I do the WHOLE wristband, or just the rivets? I want to plan this out thoroughly before I even mix the paint.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:02 am

personally, this is why i'd like more detail in the sculpt, because in a perfect world, there would be some differentiation between the bladed fingers and the back of the hand. instead, you get a garden rake the entire way from wrist to fingertip, a garden rake that i might add, has rivets for no apparent reason. so while i'd like to say "metalize the rivets and the blades" you really can't because that would look weird. probably still cooler than what the base model looks like, but weird. if it were me though, i'd metalize the whole rake, and the rivets.

seriously though, look at the mini comic that introduced TC skeletor. you had finger articulation, rounded, needle like claws, and proportional scaling... and a complete lack of rake effect. why was that not the blueprint for the "updated" TC, rather than adhering to a nonsensical design from the time of the rotary phone? i blame vintage purists.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:18 am

dayraven wrote:seriously though, look at the mini comic that introduced TC skeletor. you had finger articulation, rounded, needle like claws, and proportional scaling... and a complete lack of rake effect. why was that not the blueprint for the "updated" TC, rather than adhering to a nonsensical design from the time of the rotary phone? i blame vintage purists.

Probably because 1) Vintage purists would kick off (and honestly, I'd be one of those), and 2) The comic was probably drawn completely unaware of what the final product would look like. "Oh, it's Skeletor, but with these metal gauntlets with big, long claws."

I would've liked the Terror Claws to have been a bit more detailed (and solid!), too. Oh, well. When Mattel finally stops churning out cool 7" figures, I'll start looking into Shapeways stuff.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com