MOTUC General News

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:58 pm

There are quite a few companies sitting out SDCC this year as far as panels and such, including Playmates and I believe Hasbro. I don't think the lack of presence by Mattel is any indication of the health of MOTUC.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Interesting. I wonder why that is . . . ?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:46 pm

So it looks like Super7 will be taking over the MOTU license from now on. They say they're going to continue with MOTUC. I hope they do an all-inclusive figure sub.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Should be interesting... Part of me is happy to move onward from the "Matty Collector" era. I don't think I'll feel obligated to collect everything that Super7 produces. Although, I'm sorta keen on those ReAction figures, but the $15 price tag is making them a lot less palatable. A lot comes down to the price tag... if a toy doesn't hit that price-to-desire sweet spot, then I'm going to have to pass. As much as I have loved collecting MOTUC maybe it is time to put it to bed, or at least take a break. We have to finish out this year, but I doubt we'll get any new product prior to SDCC next year. I'm going to remain optimistic however, and for those who want to continue collecting I hope the line does well, and I'll certainly cherry pick.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:16 pm

If they DO produce MOTUC / MOTUCC style figures, I'll bite. Otherwise, I'm out. But yeah, a slight rest would be nice. I'd still be prepared to buy in the manner of my "Wish List," but, you know, maybe in a year.

By the way, anyone watched that "Three Terrors" episode? It was nifty, but all I took away from it was after being possessed by the ancient sorcerer-king, The Lord of Destruction was technically HELTOR-SKELETOR. :razz:
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 am

It's looking good. Four Horsemen on board. MOTUC / MOTUCC definitely on the table, Snake Mountain is certainly an option if enough people back it, and news that the live-action movie people are willing to negotiate movie likeness rights with Super 7 (major beef with Mattel was the reason we never got any other movie figures, apparently). Karg! Lubic! Troopers! Pig-Boy! Courtney Cox! The Janitor Guy! Huzzah!

Okay, so the cost will likely increase. I can't be as cavalier with my finances any more, so I likely won't get multiple subs. But I still plan on backing anything that they'll offer in MOTUC / MOTUCC style. If I stick to one sub, it'll still work out cheaper than what I spent the last couple of years at MattyCollector.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am

Pixel Dan did an interview with some folks on this, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but based on what I've heard I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

My hope is that instead of doing a monthly subscription based service, they go back to "waves" which maybe we could pre-order instead of subbing in for and then maybe there would be some available for DOS for cherry pickers.

Cost will be a huge factor on my future participation, but if there is a chance for savings with shipping, possibly that will even out, i.e. if I'm paying $12 a month for shipping, that is $72 over a period of six months. If we got them in waves, say every six months, paying only say $20 for shipping, that is a savings of about $52 (which you would have spent anyway on a monthly single figure from Matty), if you parlay that savings over to cost of figure, I could somehow justify paying under $40 per figure (people are already paying about that for Mythic Legions!).
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Yeah, I could conceivably go for that. I would prefer my waves a bit more frequently and smaller, if possible, though. About January, July, November, and December, I get a lot of strain on the ol' bank account. If it can save on shipping, great!
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:01 pm

December was always a strain on the belt!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:24 pm

super 7 seems like the right choice, given what little i know of them already... but then, what little i know is too little to inspire great confidence. matty though, they almost couldn't get worse, so i can't help but think this is a good move for the brand. maybe this guy will know enough not to take every internet troll on the message boards to heart. :happy: you have no idea how mad that made me, in that recent interview with nutlick when he said some of the mattel management read message boards and got down on the brand because of it... if you're management, and you have time to read message boards on fan sites, you have too much time and should be fired. but being an adult, you should also know that if someone takes the time to be active on a fan board, they're already a customer. i.e., no matter how much they bitch, they're complaining about a product they bought... keep selling it to them. month after month, keep watching them bitch, and watch the dollar signs stack up.

but back to the positive, the continued involvement of the horsemen is also a good thing, not only because they're fans of the property themselves, but you won't have to worry about the continuity of the aesthetics. that's cool.

i do wish they were going to a pre-order model rather than a sub. i still think they'd get the same sales guarantee while at the same time, not forcing the customer into unwanted figures. win-win baby. i mean, they could do pre-order solicits on concept art, at this point, we all know the characters, we all know the toys, we don't need to see full prototypes of every figure 8 months before release. and that whole "sometimes a character slips in the production schedule" thing seems a problem only mattel ever faced. i've never seen another company pull that excuse. so solicit a wave of figures, i'd go three waves a year, produce only maybe one or two percent over the pre-sale numbers for replacements, and call it a day. make it plain up front, no pre-order, no figure, we're not doing backsies, we're not doing 2nd editions. it really doesn't seem that hard. and totally open unlimited pre-orders, so when you release an army builder type character, if you want 50 of them, order 50. no multi-pack crap, maybe offer a discount at certain tiers of unit, like 10 percent off the total if you order 20, 20% off if you order 50 or more, something like that, but keep it simple.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com