MOTUC General News

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby TSR » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Snout Spout is an absolute bore.

He's so lame that I even forgot he was revealed and slated for release.

I secretly think the 4H sabotaged this one particularly bad on purpose just to make their Staction look that much more super-extra-badass.

Pixel Dan talking to Cornboy about Snout Spout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi5fFKOtZ6I#t=9m03s
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:38 am

I rather like him, I'm thinking of picking up two! =) While I can't think of a figure I didn't "love" as a kid, I've got to say Snout Spout really sticks out as one of the figures that was a huge favorite.

dayraven wrote:damned snout spout... why does he have to be so friggin vintage?

I thought that was what this line is about... recreating the vintage figures with updated articulation/sculpting? In terms of sculpt and detail, the staction is obviously superior, but in terms of what I was looking for in the Cassics line, Snout Spout came out exactly as I imagined.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:09 am

TSR wrote:Pixel Dan talking to Cornboy about Snout Spout

Ha! CB is awesome!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that yet. [smile]

And as interesting as that was, it's just CB "reviewing" the figure from a production/QC standpoint.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm

PrfktTear wrote:

I rather like him, I'm thinking of picking up two! =) While I can't think of a figure I didn't "love" as a kid, I've got to say Snout Spout really sticks out as one of the figures that was a huge favorite.

dayraven wrote:damned snout spout... why does he have to be so friggin vintage?

I thought that was what this line is about... recreating the vintage figures with updated articulation/sculpting? In terms of sculpt and detail, the staction is obviously superior, but in terms of what I was looking for in the Cassics line, Snout Spout came out exactly as I imagined.

well... no. not to nitpick here, but in the opening salvo of press on motuc, it was repeatedly stated that motuc was aimed as a kind of "definitive motu line" that would incorporate elements of all the designs... this kind of explains why king grayskull was the first cat out of the gate. but then, things changed, and we were told that the 200x designs were too anime hyper detail, even though the original comments were 'the classics line will incorporate elements of all the designs." the kind of did it to themselves, separating the 200x look from the vintage, as figures like mer-man prove that they were originally in step w/ those first several press statements... elements of all the designs were present to create a kind of "best of" look.

now, what i think is going on, though i obviously can't prove it, was that the original idea, that these would sell to a very small niche audience, fostered the blended look idea... when they found out that the market was actually much bigger, they decided against the blended look because, why sell one definitive look, when you can sell two? or three? i absolutely think that figs like evil lyn present the current ideology, that every A-list character will get a classicized version of every costume, in order to maximize profits. figs like fisto slipped through the cracks because he's not "A-list" by whatever rationale they're using. i absolutely think they could have moved two versions of fisto, but i suspect the 200x version will sell gangbusters compared to the vintage. this is precisely why i think king hsss was so very vintage, they have every intention of going back and re-releasing his 200x version in due time, just like they will w/ the sorceress when the time comes.

remember, they also stated that the line's slated through "at least 2016" but there's no where near that many characters at the current rate of release. they planned on double dipping some of these characters, and covering every look, but i think the sales added to that A-list redo roster extensively. and now that they've changed the approach to reduxes, they've amended the original life of the line and are now saying more like 2020 to finish things out... how is that even possible if they're not doing version after version of some characters? cuz DAMN... they're averaging two figs a month right now, and through 2020, that's nearly 200 characters between now and then... they either intend on adding a metric ton of new characters, or they're doing every signle he-man costume change in any toy line ever.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:
TSR wrote:Pixel Dan talking to Cornboy about Snout Spout

Ha! CB is awesome!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that yet. [smile]

And as interesting as that was, it's just CB "reviewing" the figure from a production/QC standpoint.

yup, that was fun. it's nice to see that even CB isn't a huge fan of the fig. [smile]

like noisy, i was a bigger fan of the character than the figure, as i've always loved fire fighters, they're hard dudes... but this fig, he no look hard... he look 'tard. at the very least, the sterner expression on the staction face could have helped this fig be taken a might more seriously.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 am

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=241&itemid=18099

yay new motu artwork... except it doesn't look like it's been put through the "classicizer." sorry mattel, epic fail on the obvious anime hyper detailing here. :eek:

seriously though, does al lee know how perspective works at all? several of those images from a so-called professional show a lack of knowledge of perspective planes and foreshortening... and some disturbing issues w/ anatomy. what does this guy have against biceps? i consider this pretty motucrappy personally. i'm sure some folks will love it... folks who've never taken an art class or read how to draw comics the marvel way mostly. alvin lee must draw w/ his toes or some starfruit, my left foot style. seriously, did he study at christy brown-ryu? and this is the art we're putting out there for the public to consume.... whassamatta, geoff johns couldn't create a better artist out of his brown o-ring (the only skittle lantern he hasn't tapped yet, the brown lanterns, powered by the incredible potency of his own personal chili ring.) for them to exploit? seriously, they're letting that social climber design a figure and he couldn't score them a hook-up w/ ed mcguiness or something, someone who knew how to draw huge overmuscled types? instead they went w/ al lee, who returned them to the slinky proportions of t-cats and the mangosteen mo2k designs that mattel has tried their damnedest to disavow? what a complete balls up.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:45 pm

That's kind of harsh raven
http://doomkick.com/ Toy reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

What a terrible night to have a curse...
DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:48 pm

what can i say... no one said i'm mister nice raven. i can't help my opinion, the guy has some really janky anatomical problems, like biceps being thinner than forearms, or knees that appear to compound seven nods of cartilage.

and like i said, it looks very anime style. i suppose it's worth note than lee is an udon prodigy, and to me, it absolutely shows... and udon does friggin comics of anime. that's their calling card, and they're good at that... but that is not motu. and weirdly, it's even less motuc. and yet, here we are.

i said it on another chat board too, where's their comic connection right now? geoff johns has buttered up TG's nipples, where are those connections now? you're telling me nobody at DC comics is better at big muscley guys than alvin lee? you're telling me this guy : http://davidrapozaart.deviantart.com/ couldn't have done better, and likely for less money?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I LOVE that they're using THESE non-Vintage style stuff as the Official "Classics style" art! If used correctly, they could bring forth more non-vintage stuff in MOTUC...
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby DrRampageo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:13 am

Yeah I am really looking forward to holding the Wind Raider box and drooling over the art on it (I know its a totally different guy ) too bad that I wont be getting my wind raiders until Jan because of Demo man...sigh
but back on point yeah the more MOTU art the better even if it does look a lil anime-ish
http://doomkick.com/ Toy reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

What a terrible night to have a curse...
DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com