MOTUC General News

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

MOTUC General News

Postby Tekwych » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 pm

A place for general news and info about the Masters
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
User avatar
Tekwych
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby Tekwych » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I was very surprised at the number of MOTUC figures included in Big Bad Toy Store's currant clearance sale.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
User avatar
Tekwych
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Tekwych wrote:I was very surprised at the number of MOTUC figures included in Big Bad Toy Store's currant clearance sale.


why? it's no secret that mattel's unique approach to PR has generated a huge artificial bubble of demand, and BBTS is now stuck holding that burst of bubble gum all over their proverbial face. what's going to be a lot of fun, in the next one or two years, will be mattel's newfound concern for prices on the secondary market triggering lower production runs (yeah, that's plausible, they did that research and care about the secondary market) let's see if this really holds. i suspect secondary market prices will be about the same as they are right now, as people fear that the line's over and bail.

of course, i also contend that the next decade will be bad for motucs. they're made cheaply, as any one who's playing with them has already discovered, and i suspect the display-only crowd will take a little longer to notice, but they'll have having catastrophic failure of the articulation to support itself and massive selloffs will result. mark my words, vintage motu will, in the coming years, experience stronger secondary price stability than motuc will.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 am

Tekwych wrote:I was very surprised at the number of MOTUC figures included in Big Bad Toy Store's currant clearance sale.


They've also been bit by the price there I think. The $35 ceased to be a good idea once the eBay prices were in the lower $20s.
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5744
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby dayraven » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 pm

damned snout spout... why does he have to be so friggin vintage? it really annoys me. he's not a bad figure, he just looks like a good figure was only one or two moves away, and instead, this figure just looks like missed opportunity to me.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Snout Spout is an absolute bore.

He's so lame that I even forgot he was revealed and slated for release.

I secretly think the 4H sabotaged this one particularly bad on purpose just to make their Staction look that much more super-extra-badass.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
User avatar
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Snout Spout is an absolute bore.

He's so lame that I even forgot he was revealed and slated for release.

I secretly think the 4H sabotaged this one particularly bad on purpose just to make their Staction look that much more super-extra-badass.



that would surprise me, that they'd phone one in, but honestly, the theory fits the facts... it's crap. and really, a few small changes, the 200x axe and the more detailed head, would really make a huge difference. maybe the rivets on the body could help, but i don't even think those are necessary.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm

I loved Snout Spout as a kid. Seriously, a top five character for me, but not a top five figure...
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5744
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 pm

dayraven wrote:that would surprise me, that they'd phone one in, but honestly, the theory fits the facts... it's crap. and really, a few small changes, the 200x axe and the more detailed head, would really make a huge difference. maybe the rivets on the body could help, but i don't even think those are necessary.


I was kidding about my "theory" but agreed, it's really the small changes that make big differences on a buck line like MOTUC where SO much of the focus and scrutiny is gonna be on the few new pieces.

I don't care how many people say otherwise, it really feels like the 4H got scared off from doing much of anything non-super-vintagey post Marzo and Whiplash.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
User avatar
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: MOTUC General News

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote:
dayraven wrote:that would surprise me, that they'd phone one in, but honestly, the theory fits the facts... it's crap. and really, a few small changes, the 200x axe and the more detailed head, would really make a huge difference. maybe the rivets on the body could help, but i don't even think those are necessary.


I was kidding about my "theory" but agreed, it's really the small changes that make big differences on a buck line like MOTUC where SO much of the focus and scrutiny is gonna be on the few new pieces.

I don't care how many people say otherwise, it really feels like the 4H got scared off from doing much of anything non-super-vintagey post Marzo and Whiplash.



which was of course garbage, since whiplash is just about perfect and marzo is really very good (would have liked a swappable regular hand and the amulet on a chain... but that's really about it. i think he came out very cool)

mattel has themselves all up in their own asses though... "we don't want competing looks out there at the same time," he said... how is that possible? the figs are 1 or 2 per month, online only... there is no competition, period. hasbro has competing looks for the marvel guys on pegs at the same time and it doesn't appear to be hurting MU sales any, but mattel is in a totally different boat w/ motuc. they're retarded, there's really no other word for it, and now we have toy guru giving this terry guy credit for the spector fig, and he's being mentioned increasingly often... how long till they pull horsemen completely? (from a PR stance, they know where their bread's buttered... or at least i hope so, they are retarded after all) cuz it sounds like a change in rhetoric is already going on.

also, toy guru can take his "people say spector looks like deadpool, but i created 10 years earlier!" and shove that straight up his ass. he had an idea 10 years earlier i'm sure, but it sure as hell didn't look like deadpool until deadpool came along. and i'm sorry, he loses all "cosmic key as deadshot's gauntlet gun" points for his "ace of spades" 200x deadpool harness. (cuz remember, pool didn't debut w/ that harness, that's MODERN deadpool he stole that look from)

and getting back to snout spout... yeah... veebee took shots of him w/ both mo'larr's head and flipshot's head, and you know what... mattel needed to do that, add in a human head, since they in all other ways cheaped out on him. and come on, the jaws of life accessory? blows. the only upside to owning a snout spout now is re-interpreting the character through the tommy gavin lens... that could make the character a lot more fun.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

Latest Headlines

ItsAllTrue.Net

cron