MOTU Classics v2

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

MOTU Classics v2

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Continued from: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7&start=490

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Still doesn't look like He-Man though.

Huh? Oh, why not, because he's not wearing the BA? :lol:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: MOTU Classics

Postby dayraven » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:44 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:He-Man arrived (and the weeklong countdown to Scareglow began) today.

He-Man is markedly better. I'll do a comparison in my review. I could do that tomorrow, but I'm burnt out on the site and looking forward to no content til next Monday! :lol: (After whatever tomorro's artic is.. grumble... and something for Thanksgiving...)

Anyway, much better face. The hair sits lower, less gloss, no red on him. The body has less gloss overall too. The shoulders are right, but they don't bother me. The reduced crotch piece is great - he can stand straighter and taller now. He's more "on par" with the line if you ask me. Still doesn't look like He-Man though. And the accessories are thankfully solid.

so, i got someone else's box in this evening and peeped his scareglows, for completion's sake... and all was well. but i kind of peeped his he-men as well, and i have to say... eh. i didn't see nearly enough difference to nearly warrant the extra cash. to me, he looks asian in the face, the hair sits like mine did, the shoulders are indistinguishable to me, aside from my shoulders having a much more obvious fake bake spray, and believe it or not, i don't like the flatter flesh tone. to me, my he-man, that first wave one, looks like a barbarian who lives in the jungle. this new dude looks an asian in balmy fall weather. he's not supposed to look flat, he's supposed to have muscles rippling under glistening skin! i do indeed like the decreased red face, as mine looks like he suffers from hay fever, but that upgrade alone wouldn't have warranted the price tag. i obviously have to take y'alls word for it on the softer pee flap and hip things. and i think they still missed the ball on making his belt and/or bracers a more metallic orange.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 am

There is just something about the original, the glossier look, maybe even the slight red hue, that makes him look more like what I expect. I think he benefitted from the hair sitting higher, making his eyebrows more angy too. It's hard to explain.

But the new one just doesn't look right. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:22 am

That's the problem with He-Man, is that everyone has their own pretty specific idea of how he should look.
I'm open to different takes: I've enjoyed most of the different looks/styles he's sported.

But in the instance of the MOTUC figure, the further away from the 4H prototype, the more off it looked to me.
This reissue is more like the proto than the previous one, therefore more accurate IMO.

To me glossy plastic doesn't look glistening or barbarian-like, it just looks like a cheap kid's toy. [domo]
Lay Ze-Man

Postby Ebonhorn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:10 am

I side with Lay Ze on this one....
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote: it just looks like a cheap kid's toy. [domo]

this sentiment would hold much more water w/ me if we weren't discussing a line w/ visible mold lines. [grin]

as you say, different strokes, as you obviously baby powdered your old figs too, to get that fresh from the shower look. i don't begrudge you that, but to me, shiny he-man makes more sense. the only thing i didn't care for on mine was the fake bake... the tan spray was not evenly applied, so i have a few patches of george hamilton right next to the brad pitt. that's odd. and again, i'd had liked both editions to make the orange of the metallic bracers look... metallic! (i know, where do i come up w/ these crazy requests?) :raven:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:02 pm

How MOTUC should look IMO:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?disps ... Man_01.jpg

dayraven wrote:this sentiment would hold much more water w/ me if we weren't discussing a line w/ visible mold lines. [grin]

Well, it's still a Mattel product, after all. :wink:

and again, i'd had liked both editions to make the orange of the metallic bracers look... metallic! (i know, where do i come up w/ these crazy requests?) :raven:

My main problem with the belt and bracers is the highlights should be more subtle, like on the above He-Man and also the BA He-Man proto seen here:
http://www.toyark.com/news/attachment.p ... entid=9114

I'll likely repaint mine to have the highlights lighter than the rest of the belt.
The dark color on the highlights looks really unnatural, and it's disappointing that even BA He-Man will be painted that way.

I dunno, I feel that keeping the orange is essential to the iconic look of Classic He-Man.
Something about the color combo of gray+red+orange+reddish brown is really striking.

I suppose the highlights could've been metallic orange, but I don't want the whole belt looking overly metallic.
Lay Ze-Man

Postby dayraven » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 pm

that's why i said metallic bracers... the belts... nodules... should look metallic but the belt itself wouldn't be.

but then, that pic you posted from TNI has gray bracers, so i don't quite know what to think there.

what can i say, i don't want no dry guy!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:06 pm

I think that's the wrestling fan talking. :wink:
Lay Ze-Man

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:44 am

When I look at that picture from SDCC 2007, I still can't believe I'm buying this line. I don't like it. Maybe that's why new He-Man isn't as appealing to me, it's closer to that one. I wasn't even the least bit excited by that. Faker, Beast Man, and Mer-Man were the hooks for me.

If you look at some Stargate figures there are angles where you can see Richard Dean Anderson or Michael Shanks in there, and then there are other angles where it looks nothing like them at all. Sculpting a real-life head is difficult like that.

Even though the 4H aimed for some conglomeration of the toy and the Filmation look with the MOTUC He-Man, they somehow replicated the same thing - some ways it looks like He-Man and others it doesn't. I do think DR is onto something with the sweaty look. On the face, not the body really, but the face is more glistening than glossy to me. And that helps it to look right form any angle. It's weird.

Sadly, if it weren't for the black spot on the chin, I'd probably swap the original head onto the BA and be pretty much happy.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com