In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby dayraven » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 pm

And the kicker is, had they done what you're suggesting from the get-go, it would not have been expensive Or difficult.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I was checking out my He-Ro and his head is rather peculiar. His hair is sculpted in two pieces. Something that Mattel could have told the Horsemen to do if they had some foresight into Possible He-Man variants. (thinking NA and 200X Here)
They could've had the Horsemen sculpt the basic He-Man head with sculpted ears, sideburns AND short hair in the back (with a hole for the Ponytail). Then the second piece which would be the part that Mattel would swap between variants would be the Top and back of the hair. The Vintage Pageboy hairpiece would cover the ears and back. The 200X hairpiece would have the ears showing but covering the back with the mullet. The NA Hairpiece would cover the top and the second piece would be the Ponytail that gets plugged in the hole on the back. Obviously both the Vintage hairpiece and 200X Hairpiece would have a plug on the back to jam into the ponytail hole, which would force the pieces to be put in exactly ONE position (thus reducing the weird balding He-Men/Adam look that some of the current MOTUC figures suffer from.)
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm

A slighter male buck would definitely get some re-use, with such possible figures as:

Millennial Prince Adam
Lizard Man
Karg
Saurod
Lizorr
Mantenna
Mosquitor (Inaction Figure style)
Modulok
Snake Men Warriors
Inspector Darkney

A portly male buck would be less useful in MOTUC alone, but if it could be carried over into DC and Wrestling (as MOTUC parts have carried over into Frank Miller Batman, for example), there are sure to be uses for a pot-bellied body in all three properties. At the very least, we could get a Kothos and a Chef Allan out of it. };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 am

i would have liked to have seen four primary bucks in motuc:
standard barbarian buck- warrior types, fisto, he-man, man at arms
slim body buck- spellcaster types, marzo, skeletor faceless master
techno body buck- bio-mechanical types, mekanek, rio blast, roboto, 200x man at arms, the NA characters
big body buck- guys w/ the thickness, ram man, leech, tuskador, two bad (who would require a unique torso, but could make use of the big body limbs and joint fasteners)

then two female bodies, warrioress and sorceress... we could FINALLY have evil lyn and teela as unique bodies! the she-ra crew would really have taken good advantage of this system too, so they don't all look like doctor barbie vs poolside barbie...

then we need VERY few unique builds, like a boy body for prince adam. most of the varying guys would be one or two limb swaps, like the techno-guy legs on a barbarian body and all you'd need is one arm and a head to make trap jaw. in some ways, this is approach now, but in not standardizing things like the two piece heads (so we could swap helmets or hair easily) they missed out on some very easy kitbashing at the factory, and for us at home... wasted money! plus, having a simple system of swap, w/ minimal new tooling to create a new variant means it's easy and cheap to answer capricious fan requests, like long loincloth man at arms, or he-mullet hair, or whathaveyou. imagine how cool it would have been, after all this time laboring under the same he-man face, if the vykron human head could have swiped the hair or helmet from any figure? there are lots of folks, myself included, who think vykron's face sculpt looks more like a classicized he-man than the actual classics he-man does, it would be nice to be able to create my ideal he-man with relative ease.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

All damn' nifty ides, DR. Could the Tech bucks have a few sockets scattered about them, for plugging in character-specific wires, tubes, and attachments (or cover-up plugs)?

I think it would also work in Mattel's favour if they were to plan future tailed figures with special hips and unique loincloths, so they could attach the tails to the figures' butts instead of having that weird double-spine deal Whiplash, Draego-Man, and Rattlor have. (Which has been bugging me since 1984.)

For example, if they made a set of hips with a ball joint on the back. They could then make character-specific loincloths with a hole in the back, then just plug the relevant tail onto the ball joint. Or just make a reinforced character-specific loincloth they could plug an insert-moulded tail into, like they do with the extant "insect legs" and wings parts. Only on the butt, as opposed to the back.

Does anyone else think that would be workable?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 am

that would be totally workable beedo, which is why i say i wish the line had had better management and design teams from the get go. making the buck right the first time for a buck line is HUGE savings... the more corrected bucks they have to release, the fewer new parts we get. like what was the stupid debacle w/ the chick hips? there's nothing wrong w/ the original chick hip that prevented it from being used on the eventual swift wind release. the problem lay in the material and design of the skirt, which severely limited the posing options. the only flaw w/ the 1.0 female buck was the weird abdominal section... did they really never anticipate releasing a female w/ her abs flaring? cuz if so, that was enormously short sighted of them.

and it maybe just me, i know i've kinda pervy, but i'd like the girls, or at least the warrior chicks, to be a little bustier... like not hugely crazy over the top, but maybe 1.5 cup size bigger. it is a fantasy setting, after all.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Man you guys are on some crazy stuff here...loving it!
I'm behind anything that brings us Lizard Man!
http://doomkick.com/ Toy reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

What a terrible night to have a curse...
DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 am

Also, a bigger male buck + tail-bearing hips/loincloth could allow us (at the very least) Lord Dactys and Dragoon, two characters I'd maim for to have in the line. (I won't take a life, but I'll easily ruin one; I seem to be good at that.)

Lord Dactys would come with a couple of vac-metal Spelean swords (one for himself, one for his buddy, Randy).

Dragoon would have a hinged jaw and plug-in flame attachment, possibly also recoloured Draego-Man shield and Spikor thagomizer accessories if the budget permits.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby hadley » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 am

Those posts about the org are a year and a half old, but they' still apply. Well I guess the Emiliano stuff I guess since he's dead now or something.

I too think there should be more bucks, but if they started introducing them now, it'd be kinda weird. It'd be hard to stop myself from imagining older figures re-done with the various bucks. Like Mer-Man on the skinny one.
hadley

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 pm

it finally clicked a couple days ago, as i was playing with dekkar and jitsu...

dekkar's fighting style leaves him susceptible to flanking attacks on his left side...

because of this, his best student developed an armored suit that protects that left flank against counterattacks.

with all likelihood, given the nature of his injury, and the location, dekkar is faster than duncan, and perhaps, stronger too, because duncan covered his whole left side rather than just his face. there's also a solid chance that dekkar is a superior improvisational weapon fighter, as he carries no weapon on his person, while duncan packs a small arsenal. that said, duncan is likely better with his chosen weapons, though he has an obvious preference/bias for wrist-mounted blasters, as he has one built into the gauntlet, and then the larger missile launcher/cannon. having a preference is having a weakness.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com