In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby DrRampageo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:44 pm

...WOW!
You make some really solid points there really really solid points. I'm not going to argue any of them because you know what ? You are right. Mostly....Despite all the problems with the line it doesnt change the fact that 9 times out of 10 when the figures show up I am very pleased with them . I love the characters and the universe so much that im willing to look past all the flaws and enjoy the hell out of these toys. Do I wish Mattel wasnt one of the worst companys out there right now ? yes! Do I wish that qc was better? oh hell yes...christ my Hurricane Hordak is missing an eye! Do I wish that there was more diversity in the sizes of figures? weeeeelllllll I wish we had some more smaller guys (bring on gwildor) but on the whole I think that the buck system and re use of parts really is a nice throwback to the old days of MOTU. Should the figures be less expensive? certainly and I think Mattel likes to claim poor when clearly with all the products they have they make more than enough money. At least MOTUC doesnt have all the problems DCUC has with the lack of accessories and the warped limbs and the unfinished teams and a multitude of other problems. Honestly tho I would love to take a step back from it all and i think 2013 may be the time for that I got a 30th and a regular MOTUC sub so I will be bale to avoid MOST of the terible DOS aggravations next year minus and non sub items but the way they have handled the Dc sub and the GB sub really gives me pause. It's like Mattel wants to piss off the fans. The only thing you said that I question (now im not trying to be a dick or anything like that and I'm not attacking you personally) is the praise you lavish on Marvel Legends sure the scale was there and the accessories but the sculpts? I saw so many retarded looking ML sculpts that it made me quit buying them all together. I seriously hope that these new ML's coming out can change that I really do. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! :evil:
http://doomkick.com/ Toy reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

What a terrible night to have a curse...
DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm

right on brother. in the interest of continuing the conversation:

someday, we will expand the convo on marvel legends... but i will say this. the line had a few dud sculpts. a few. mostly the chicks, sadly, but by and large, i enjoyed the vast majority of what i got. and for the record, when regarding marvel legends, i have a terrible time in not lumping in the x-men and spider-man classics line as well, since the styles were the same.

back to motu... the only things i will say to volley the ball back to you is, does it really mimic the original line in the re-use of parts? i recommend sometime checking out the wikipedia page for motu, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Universe) as they feature photos of most of the vintage toys all in a row... and while the early figs had lots of re-use, the later waves of product go to almost all 100% new tools. truthfully, i think motu did a lot better diversifying the line than motuc is currently doing. we have what, essentially 4 bucks? the he-man buck, the beast-man buck, the chick buck and the leech body? that's not great. the original line DEBUTED w/ 3 bucks. and by wave 2, we had our first 100% sculpt. motuc still hasn't done a 100% unique tool. and then i will finish with the comment about unfinished teams... i'm going to give you a moment on that one, and see if you still feel the same... but just a moment. :wink: motuc is rife w/ unfinished teams, and w/ the reveals thusfar, we're still not looking at a single team completed. dc is actually closer on a few of their teams (like the metal men) i think the most complete group we have now is the horde, and we're short 5 guys just from the vintage line-up w/out adding in mot2k or unreleased protos or concepts.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Again all very solid points.

while I do agree more "bucks" would be good I think the general idea of the re used parts is in the spirit of the old line not a note for note copy. We do need some 100% new characters like Ram Man thrown into the mix certainly but for the most part I think the buck system works well . I am very curious if we will be seeing the new buck from Queen Marlena/Cpt Glenn used again as it is a little strange. I would go so far as to say Orko is a 100% new tool also but I would love to see the orko buck used to make some other Trollans mostly Uncle Montork and his Animal friend and dree elle but any trollans would be welcome at my house.

As far as teams in MOTU I dont look at it like that. MOTU has factions and while you may not get everyone from a faction I feel like releasing 2 or 3 members of a DC team really is kind of like a slap in the face. My point is that in the DCU the teams are very well defined (for the most part) and not releasing members of a team shouldnt happen. You wouldnt see Marvel (or whoever is making Marvel toys) make a Cloak without a Dagger so why would Mattel release 3 of the Metal men and not the rest? do you think they have any plans to release a lead or whoever the hell else is in the Metal Men? Because I dont and that sucks for fans of the MM that have been teased by some of their favorite team. MOTU is way more subjective I think as for who people want and need its less "team" based but if you are a fan of a certain comics team you want them all. Speaking of teams I really hope the DCNU line can bring a John constantine from Jl Dark to stores.
I think thats all I wanted to say but I'm not positive my head is swimming thinking about NYCC and all the comics reviews I still need to write not to mention Hurricane hordak who has been sitting waiting for pictures to be taken of him for weeks now! :evil:

DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby DrRampageo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Also I gotta add
LOVE the Ivy avatar!!
And for the record I hope no one thinks Im being pro Mattel by any means cuz really "those guys are ******"
I just love MOTU!
:evil:

DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm

dude, i don't think anyone thinks you're biased towards mattel. you're honest, and i feel the motu love man, or i wouldn't be doing the little narratives you might have noticed proceeded our convo in here. i just feel like i wanted more from the line then i got.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Good! I just dont want anyone thinking im being pro Mattel.
And like I said I feel everything you said and they are all valid points.
There is a multitude of things that could be done to improve the line for sure I just think the toys are soo much better than something like the MYP yfigures which in my mind were junk. I really liked them at the time but after seeing MOTUC for the first time they just look terible to me. :evil:

DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:18 pm

DrRampageo wrote:Good! I just dont want anyone thinking im being pro Mattel.
And like I said I feel everything you said and they are all valid points.
There is a multitude of things that could be done to improve the line for sure I just think the toys are soo much better than something like the MYP yfigures which in my mind were junk. I really liked them at the time but after seeing MOTUC for the first time they just look terible to me. :evil:

see, i was hit and miss. some of the elements of some of the figs i liked, others i didn't. great example, clawful, i love the much larger claw and smaller claw, and i think the body looked slightly more crustacean-y... and that was cool. what i didn't like was the mot2k universal hunch, the odd face, and then preposterous stupidity of the toon version. just in no way my bag. i liked trap jaw's arm, but hated MAA huge shoulder pad that he couldn't see over, i liked snake armor he-man but hated the samurai armor version. and the toys themselves, yes, they were crap. they were all doing the "too much" squat, and weren't articulated well, and felt cheap. and 3/4 of the vehicles looked stupid. the war whale thing seriously made me want to pound rusty nails through my hands and beat off.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 pm

lol thats extreme!
The designs I didnt mind so much but the toys were a little too thin cut for my tastes now you take a MOTUC He Man thats a thick cut right there! MYP He Man certainly thin cut!

DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:24 pm

oh yeah, one of my favorite aspects of motuc (i know, it may not have seemed like i had any) is the mass of the figs. they evoke the same meaty figure in my hand feeling that 5 year old me loved about he-man in 34 year old me.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby DrRampageo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

tgick cut is the def the way to go :evil:

DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com