In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I think if you surround the id, found in the URL after the = sign with {youtube} {/youtube} (with the appropriate brackets of course) then the video should embed.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

giving this a try... crossing my figners!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm

:lol: Pretty cool. That throbbing picture felt like we were gonna go in another direction for a minute though. [grin]

Will there be more of these as Scarabus approaches?
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 pm

yeah "3D ripple" was kind of not what i had hoped for... and there's no "impact wave" which was more what i was hoping for... but, like i said, a first attempt... and truthfully, i don't know if there'll be more. i'd sure like to, but this takes time, and it's about as far from professional as it gets... i had a rare opportunity here cuz the weather afforded me no school time... we'll see. i wish there was a way to compress the frame rate to afford a slightly more stop motion like feature, but alas, it doesn't work that way. it only compresses enough to seem schizophrenic. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 pm

sao, to fix this nasty conundrum mattel has created, i offer the next two in-BIO-tweens:

Battelground Teela- As Teela's training continued, the Sorceress realized her potential exceeded the limited powers of the Mantel and Staff of Ka, and besides, these powers were suspect now as scrying tools of the devious King Hsss. Instead, the Sorceress tailored Teela's training to her already prodigious battle talents and crafted for her a sword that would easily cleave Hsss' serpent magicks, and a blaster to focus the might of the Guardian of Grayskull into a form that Teela could easily conceive of and utilize. As Teela's skills developed with these new weapons and tactics, she adopted a more flexible battle suit using Adam's old force field technology, affording her greater ease of economic motion with improved protection from technological weapons. She also bleached her hair blonde in honor of her mother and adopted the formal name Teela-Na upon taking her mother's place as the Guardian of Grayskull.

King Hsss- Pledged to the service of the Unnamed One, after centuries of not being contacted, Hsss assumed himself free of his old master's hold. To further his agenda, and gain potency, he tracked down the Andreenids and consumed some of their Ambrosia. The first test of his newly battened powers was the invasion of Grayskull Castle. He was able to breech her defenses and lay a bite upon the Sorceress more potent than any he had delivered before. Though her magics were able to delay the effects, she eventually succumb to the vicious new venom. However, rather than playing to Hsss' advantage, she used the time her magics bought her to train her successor, the new Teela-Na, specifically in how to defeat serpent magics. When at length the Masters came to retake Castle Grayskull, Hsss found he more than had met his match. Teela-Na easily sliced through his magics and shrugged off what little technology he brought to bear. One by one, his Snake Men fell to the newly trained Masters. Eventually, they retreated with but one hostage, the elderly Duncan, Man at Arms. Hsss devoured Duncan only to discover that, just prior to being eaten, Duncan had swallowed a potent bomb. As Hsss' body processed Duncan's, the bomb was unleashed in Hsss' stomach acid, and exploded, killing the leader of the Snake Men. His men were left to fight amongst themselves for his place, until the Unnamed One, sensing Hsss' passing, returned and claimed dominion over the Snake Men once more. He raised Rattlor to the position of General and set him to destroying Castle Grayskull and specifically, this new Sorceress.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

i'm thinking about crafting a post-bio bio for panthor. neko got me thinking with her D&D monster manuel comment, and i'm not interested in that much detail/work for panthor specifically (though i have often times wanted something that elaborate made for eternia... and might just some day undertake such an endeavor... but mattel would have to be paying me for that much labor) but i kept thinking that i want more on panthor... and have some fun ideas. we'll see. could be later tonight, could be tomorrow, but i will almost certainly do a post-bio, unless someone objects.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed May 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Panthor had a true bond with Keldor. He felt his master's presence as a comforting and palpable force, until the terrible day Evil Lyn conducted him home and orchestrated Keldor's terrible bargain. His true master died that day, but to Panthor, he has not yet to mete his vengeance out. He holds Evil Lyn and Hordak both responsible for the death of Keldor, and he awaits the day his master unleashes him on those two traitors. He has grown bitter and sullen of the years of waiting though, and this seething loathing is what sustains him. He has exceeded the normal age of the purple panthers, and yet he lives on, driven forward by boiling hatred even as his joints grow stiff and his eyes begin to dim. This young cat, this "Battle Cat" is an abomination too, and he intends, before succumbing to his age, to end that kit's existence as well. The Panthers have worked hard to keep the Green Tigers small, stupid, and helpless, and then here this kit comes, tall and strong and confident... not on Panthor's watch. He'll eat that beast's entrails before he goes into the great blackness. With luck, Battle Cat, Hordak and Evil Lyn will share space in his belly.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 pm

new bio for preternia disguise he-man AKA strangor (much luv on the name noisy, it completed altered how i viewed the fig)
http://fantasticexclusive.com/fforum/to ... 76&#154055
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:06 pm

two new in-BIO-tweens

Demo-Man

Real Name- Hu-Wan Kur

Oldest son of Horde Prime, Hu-Wan was rightly feared for his prowess in battle, but much less so for his strategic mind. Very dependent on his younger brother Hec-Tor, it seemed that any plan executed by Hu-Wan ended in abysmal failure. Hec-Tor played his role dutifully, following his father's orders to help Hu-Wan take the planet of Etheria. Although the Horde Empire won, Hu-Wan challenged one of his captives, a noble named Sir Reginald Reccula, to a duel, against his brothers wishes... and he lost. Hec-Tor slew Reccula and captured his brother's dying essence in an artifact staff he carried. He took the staff to his father, hoping that Horde Prime could restore his brother to life. Instead, Hec-Tor, along with his brother in the staff, were exiled to a backwater planet called Eternia.

Draego Man

Real Name- Thaorex Gnar Rakash

Thaorex was the eldest son of the Dragon of the North, who dwelt under an extinct volcano under the pole. Thaorex was groomed by his father to lead his armies, but Thaorex desired to lead the nation. However, his father, an elder dragon and direct descendent of Scalex the Horror of Fin and Fang, was well loved and no one in his kingdom would act out against him. As Thaorex despaired and was preparing to settle into his given role, his father took a human concubine and shortly thereafter announced the birth of his daughter, Sharella. Thaorex felt completed disowned, and took the few loyalists he could and fled to Eternia's surface. He journeyed the length and breadth of Eternia's climes, losing followers as he journeyed due to the harshness of the Eternian climate. Eventually, as he journeyed, now alone, across the Dark Hemisphere, he happened upon another volcano. As he stopped to rest in the flowing lava, he found a baby serpent with three heads. Also a descendent of Scalex, the baby, whom Thaorex named Serpos, was very potent, but undisciplined. The great dragon man took it upon himself to train the young Serpos in his terrifying might, and eventually unleashed the behemoth that Serpos would become as his seige weapon. Although Thaorex was ultimately unsuccessful in seeing Serpos to the conquest of any nation, he himself was spared capture and settled into the lava pit at the core of Snake Mountain, where Serpos was imprisoned. He set upon finding a way to unleash the beast once again. While he was researching, he was discovered by Skeletor, and agreed to a mutually beneficial alliance with the Gar spellmaster.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 am

alright rampageo, you asked for it...

Why MOTUC isn't awesome by Dayraven

from a kid's point of view- no action features. sure, they have plenty of simulacrums, but no real action features... and way back when, when he-man made you truly happy... didn't we all love the action features? i got leech one year for xmas and i didn't sit around pondering why the shoulder pauldron wasn't painted, i licked his hands and started seeing what i could get him to hold. i tried a baseball, a tennis ball, and a wiffle ball first. then i got absorbed (he he) by the mouth and stuck him to inside of the every window i could reach, the side of the fridge, the windows in the car, both sides of the front door.... ad infinitum. if the surface was even vageuly smooth, i tried leech on it at least once. new leech doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting that much "hands on" time.

from a budgetary point of view- the extensive parts re-use of the line, coupled w/ the spotty QC, really say to me that these aren't 20 dollar toys. we in the various IAT forums have done countless rounds of guestimating the costs of production, but at the end of the day, megator for 40 bucks looks like crap next to a 55 dollar sentinel, and he-man for 20 seems like a complete rip-off compared to a king hulk i paid 15 for not two years prior (and i complained like hell at that 5 dollar price hike... and to reinforce my point here, i have put maybe 5 to 1 play time in for that king hulk vs my 1st ed he-man and my kids helped... and my king hulk shows less obvious distress at the joints than he-man does. in particular the shoulders at both ends are showing a distressing trend of loosening.)

from an adult collector standpoint- the evolution of motu to motuc shows a lot less innovation and return to simpler, crappier figures. looking at what started w/ mcf figs, we first got more complex sculpt then we'd seen in earlier figures. then he started upping the articulation. then he cut articulation and upped the detail to really almost obscene levels. then he started cutting those detailed sculpts up w/ really awesome articulation (around the dark ages and viking era) and then he went retarded and did all these pre-posed mcstatues that were still pretty, but immobile, and then started shrinking when the market dried up. since mcf, the trend has been either super-articulated or super detailed statue... until marvel legends. marvel legends balanced detail w/ comic accurate looks, insane articulation, and in general, very consistent QC. then, TB gets the LOTR license and blows the game completely up. not the greatest film likenesses ever, but easily, far and away, the greatest fantasy licensed toys ever. and these were following the greatest comic character line ever. dc under mattel took a huge step backwards in the evolution of the toy by returning to the buck system. under mattel, we've seen the figure industry cut back on pack ins, cut back on new/character exclusive body pieces, cut back on paint aps, cut bakc on QC, and cut back on articulation. motuc does take the right step in upping again the number of pack-ins, but that's about it. and what's worse, while the old motu line is considered one of the worst historically for re-using body parts, by the time they were as far into the line as motuc currently is, they had a larger pool of base pieces and more unique tooling than motuc displays or is set to display in the next 6 months. they also included playsets and vehicles that you and i both know aren't coming in motuc at all, let alone any time soon. we've seen smaller companies like mezco and NECA pick up the baton mcf dropped, and try to advance the case for better sculpts and more (or at least consistent) articulation. and we've had four horsemen studios REALLY upping the ball w/ their in house lines and trying to give us figs that feature great articulation and world class sculpts and paint aps. and this last round in particular, scarabus definitely improves on the QC woes of the first few releases... all while staying within spitting distance of that motuc price point. bottom line, motuc is a step backwards in the toy evolutionary chart, rather than the valid step forward that their predecessor line showed off. they've only advanced over the vintage line, now 30 years old, in a couple ways. i will vouch right here, right now, that the vintage motu figs will outlast the motucs. i know not everyone plays w/ their figs, i'm a players, my kids are players, and the motucs are showing signs of wear already. i've been delicate w/ new grizzlor. very delicate. and i've had more chunks of his pelt come off on my fingers that i have had collectively w/ the three vintage grizzlors i still have. that's a backslide from where i sit. leech can't stick to things... backslide. motuc he-man's shoulders are looser than both the shoulders of my original he-man, and the collector's edition re-release i picked up when the millenium line was extant... and both those older he-men have seen more play. and don't even get me started on ankles... sweet jesus.

from a motu fan's POV- when i found marvel legends, i was floored. new sculpts, great paint, a varied scale, plenty of pack-ins... i never felt like ML was a stretch for the money, and they were such a huge step forward from the marvel TB line of the 90's that i glowed when i found new legends at the toy store. i laughed, i smiled, and i opened every fig w/ excitement in my eyes and a gush of excitement from my mouth. i'm a big marvel fan and holy starfruit was legends my line. it was everything the kid in me wanted from my old toys, but they couldn't do that stuff then. now, i get motuc announced and i'm beaming. holy CRAP my favorite toy line ever, and it's coming back? in a post-legends world, i wanted every toy line to do that stuff, unique sculpts, hella articulated, great quality, plenty of "stuff" to go along... and i got king grayskull. hey, cool, grayskull's never had a figure before. and these kind of look like the vintage guys, and that's kind of a nice throwback element. but the size is static. there's one base body and everybody's using it. scale, everyone at the same height. the paints are kinda "meh." no action feature, no mini-comic, no display base, none of the extras that legends spoiled me with. eh. and i have to get into this rugby scrum every month, at one specific and at times highly inconvenient time and do this really pavlovian order process? fudge that man. i'm not a dog, and every time i'm forced to jump through a hoop to get something, i want it less. i wanted motuc to make me as happy buying he-man as legends made me buying the punisher. instead, i came away, month after month, feeling like a beaten spouse. that's the inverse of what the line should do for me. plus, they're not leading the industry the way the original line did. they're coasting on what costs out, rather than concentrating on what rocks out. i look at the figs coming from the four horsemen and square enix and NECA and i see what i want, more paint aps, killer articulation, incredible art haus sculpts. i look at the cookie cutter motuc line and i feel like i just payed 20 bucks for a happy meal. it actually makes me feel dumb buying a motuc, because i know better is out there, but i cave for a character i love. that's starfruit. i deserve better than that. i'm an adult, i don't buy cheap sheets, i get the high thread count cotton and enjoy it cuz i know where the money went. i know the difference between skirt steak and ribeye and i buy and cook it the way i want to enjoy it. i know good coffee from starfruit and i buy the good stuff cuz i like to drink it. if i'm paying a premium for my toys, they have to be noticeably better than the "average" stuff and motuc isn't.

that's not even the entirety i could do on the topic, but that should get you started. [smile] i warned you man! :lol:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com