In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed May 06, 2015 1:27 am

Now, Godzilla-Buster armour . . . . THAT would be something to see!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed May 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Now we're getting into Pacific Rim territory!!!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Tony's already got anti-Cybertronian armor. It's not too big a leap to anti-Godzilla. I think there might have even been something like that in the Marvel Mangaverse (that everyone wishes they could forget).
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 am

I think he-man in normal WA alking around level strength would necessitate a more than standard suit from tony. Remember that he-man in normal mode went toe to toe with superman, and Tony built specialty armors for the hulk, namor and Thor, who are in that same league. The addition of the power sword means you need a mission specific suit. Especially when Tony got a taste of the flying fists or thunder punch, he'd build an anti he-man suit. He-man is just too far outside normal parameters of function to be mitigated with the standard mark armors, I think.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 am

so, i have question of aesthetic philosophy for any so inclined to participate... if snake mountain was originally the home of the snake men, and it's made of serpos, the snake god, why is there not more snake iconography in the place? would that be too literal? looking especially at the vintage toy here (the MYP was a little better, but also had a lot less personality), there is a giant creepy face, a wolf themed microphone, and a snake that knocks one down. one snake, on the whole bloody mountain.

now maybe that's because they didn't really have a precedent to follow, or the art direction was unclear as to the motifs, or perhaps, the "home of the snake men" is a retcon... but that leads me to my questions.

should snake mountain be the home of the snake men, or merely a nomme de guerre?
should there be more snake symbols and fewer wolves?
if you were buying a new, deluxe style snake mountain, what details would you want preserved, and what would you like to see changed?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am

IIRC the playset was a partial reuse of a discontinued concept or prototype playset for Tarzan or big Jim.
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 pm

What He-Mullet said.

The Filmation Snake Mountain came first, and there's no denying that it's a big talonite rock with a blatantly prominent massive snake on it. No question. Does exactly what it says on the tin. When Mattel figured they could knock a playset out and have people shell out bucks, they repurposed an unused jungle playset and stuck a snake on pretty much as an afterthought. And then it was retconned into being the former lair of the Snake Men when they came along.

It would be nice to see more snakey deco on future versions, sure, now that the mythos is more established. As for what I'd like to see on a MOTUC (or whatever) Snake Mountain playset, this is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned (maybe make the snake look a bit better / bigger):

URL, if the image above is cropped:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b571/Disco_Skeletor/1517646_10152092286184494_138748161_n_zpsfbeb4c6c.jpg

URL, if the image above is cropped:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b571/Disco_Skeletor/7580D148-EA78-47A2-8648-B7D378D48BE0_zpsvkixrltg.jpg

The guy also did killer hybrid Fright Zone and Crystal Castle playsets.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:31 pm

see, in the incarnation, i like the snake, obviously, but i don't particularly favor the claws popping out all over the place. it kinds of wrecks the ability to pose guys on the mountain, even if i found it aesthetically pleasing... which i don't. [smile]

i definitely like the lava filled elements, and could use that for some cool lighting effects and sculpted elements, which in conjunction with the ophidian elements, feels like plenty to create a unique looking house of horrors. like, castle grayskull looks dour from the outside, and it should, it's mission is pretty serious. snake mountain should, be comparison, be dark, mysterious, and treacherous, lots of false walls and places to hide, lots of potential environmental hazards, and i feel like it should be very snakey/chthonic.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 pm

That would be awesome! I think Diamond Select more or less nailed it! I'm not slavishly devoted to the vintage playset, but I would like a nice mix between that and the filmation appearance and maybe a drawing upon other influences.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:14 pm

The way I envisioned it in my head was to have it look pretty much like the concept above (but with a more Filmation-styled snake), and also with (as DR says), lots of hidden spaces and nasty bits. Would've included a couple of cages (for beasts or prisoners), and some hidey-holes and doors for things like The Golden Disks of Knowledge and the Sword of the Ancients (crystal boulder included). The tunnel in the base would also actually have to go all the way through to the inside, as opposed to just being a hollow like in the concept pics.

Also, the lava falls would have to be cast in translucent plastic, so I could work my light-up mojo on them.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com