In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:35 am

dayraven wrote:blame the christians.

Oh, I do. I just tend to blame religions in general for most of what's wrong with humanity.

dayraven wrote:what illusions might one harbor about pythons?

I meant, I don't expect them to go around rescuing kids in the jungle like they do in the story books. };D They're huge predators, neither good nor evil, and if they're hungry, they will eat anything they can subdue, including children. They're nifty as all get-out, but I'm not about to go up to one in the wild and try to strike up a civil conversation.

dayraven wrote:i hope for you, who has been infinitely patient with the line highkinks and the cost of acquisition, who really wants this character, that he comes in so well executed on what he has that you can overlook what he lacks beedo.

Thank 'e, mate. I suspect I'll live, but I may be looking to bag a couple extras for experimentation, in the tail area, at least.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:43 am

short aside, then i promise, back to toys...

some of my favorite moments of public stupidity have come recently when one finds the christian right trying to argue, on national and sometimes international television, or the internet, about two topics in particular, global warming and evolution. the right ALWAYS tries to come up with some gap in the understandings of the "science" that they can then exploit as reason why we all should burn tires to stay warm and teach our kids that invisible man in the sky made everything 6000 years ago and dinosaurs are satan pranks. the reason i love them so much is that these intellectual midgets are always spouting 4th or 5th grade, rudimentary knowledge on the topic at hand, as if what you learned at 10 years old was precisely and entirely the depth and breadth of knowledge on the subject... like they start touting how their local dirt mall doesn't have missing link teeth for sale, so there's no evolution, and to the even vaguely more educated (and i imagine infuriatingly so for the vastly more educated) we are left asking "well, not only do you ignore literal tons of fossil evidence in your reductionist analysis, but you also ignore approximately a century of compiled genetic evidence... so why don't you tuck your starfruit back into your pants, and go tell mommy you made poo poo and need a wipey wipe and leave the conversation about how to save the planet to the adults, m'kay pumpkin?"

my other favorite is when they chastise one of the other religions for doing something that they themselves do or believe... every time a right wing douchetool wants to complain about the creep of sharia law, i find myself wondering how many of them could name even 2 tenets... and if they know not only how fluid the rules in fact are, but also how many of them mirror tenets of behavior, law, and commerce in both the jewish and christian faiths.

ok, rant over, back to toys...

i tell you what i WISH we'd see out of the next incarnation of motu... it won't happen, but to dream... i've said before that i'd love something along the lines of play arts kai, but i've changed my mind on that, in large part i think the line would break me about 3 characters into it. no, instead, something more like what we saw from NECA with their gears of war figs. smart parts reuse, a consistent scale, (GoW did change scale slightly once, but hopefully with experience as a predictor, that could be avoided), a willingness to make additional buck bodies spaced evenly throughout the planned life of the line, and detailed sculpts and paints. if we got interchangeable heads and hands, so much the better, but i suspect that wouldn't cost out. i would prefer to see them take an aesthetic approach that went for the gusto, take the current comic designs, splash them up a bit to make them slightly more "real world" and kind of warn, and occasionally, throw us a throwback paint swap for a 200x or vintage palette, but no vintage sculpts, and no 200x sculpts, i want to see something wholly new and unique.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:15 am

I've been thinking about the continuation of MOTU after 2015, and various ideas have cropped up. Themed years was an early idea, with one year for Mini-Comics characters and variants, one year for completing the NA roster, one year for nifty Filmation characters, and so on. While that would mightily appease those specific factions, it wouldn't make good business sense, unless the majority of the customers were as gung-ho about everything MOTU as I am. I bashed out a fairly balanced roadmap for 2016 onwards (the last couple of years got a bit theme-y, though), and the best I could come up with was this:

TCE = Travelling Convention Exclusive
HOL = End-of-Year Holiday Treat

TCE Slime Pit He-Man (translucent green)
JAN Hunga the Harpy
FEB Lodar
MAR Lizorr
SUB Spirit of Grayskull - I now have to rethink this slot!
BEAST Night Stalker
Q1 Ice Armour He-Man
APR Lord Masque
MAY Jet Pak
JUN Dylamug
Q2 Ambrosia Skeletor
JUL Spinwit
SDCC Colour-Changing (Blue / Red) Kothos & Sand Slug 2-Pack w/ magic crystal (Convention only)
- “Blue” Kothos & Sand Slug 2-Pack variant w/ magic crystal (After-Party)
- “Red” Kothos & Sand Slug 2-Pack variant w/ magic crystal (After-Party)
AUG Major Header
SEP Horde Mummy
Q3 Wyrd of Crystal Man-At-Arms (transparent) w/ “cursed” statue & disguised Skeletor head
OCT Masks of Power Demons 4-Pack (2 tiny orcs w/ removable masks, 2 “powered up” demons, lizard & wolf)
NOV Melaktha w/ pickaxe & lenticular Mirror of Avathar
DEC General Sunder w/ 2 blasters & helmetless optional head
VEH Roton
Q4 Mini-Comic Teela (Vintage body, Battleground head)
HOL Slime Pit playset
Mini-Sub Horde Troopers 2-Packs (Regular, Marine, Eternian Invasion Flashback, Preternian, Pilots, Elite)

TCE Twiggets 3-Pack: Sprag, Sprocker, & Spritina
JAN Tuvar
FEB Hans Hammer-Holder
MAR Crita w/ Grrr
SUB Snake Armour King Grayskull
BEAST Stridor
Q1 Horde Trooper Disguise He-Man
APR Cringer (articulated) *
MAY Bhaddra
JUN Calix
Q2 Trap-Jaw (Mini-Comics “X-Man” style)
JUL Evilseed (version TBD)
SDCC Old Man Marzo & Odiphus 2-Pack
AUG Lohni
SEP Horrorsaur
Q3 Catra (panther form) *
OCT Skelcon 2-Pack
NOV Bubblor
DEC Tuskador
VEH Attak Trak
Q4 Stealth Cloak Tuvar (transparent w/ red-tinged visor)
HOL Prince Adam in Santa Claus Disguise
Mini-Sub Mini-Comics (Fangor, Great Black Wizard, Beast Lord, Bandwidth, Snarrrl the Snow Thief, Goldenrod)

* Can use largely the same tooling.

TCE Ra-Jar
JAN King Miro (Battle Amrour)
FEB Dragoon
MAR Meliac (New Adventures cyclops dude)
SUB Statue of Grayskull (light grey w/ dark grey wash & speckles, to differentiate from original “prize” version)
BEAST Sagitar
Q1 Teela (Mini-Comics “Pink” Version)
APR Colonel Blast
MAY Man-Crystal
JUN Veena
Q2 Baby-Stealing Hordak
JUL King Ahgo
SDCC Melog 2-Pack (“Mud Woman” version & “Human Woman” version)
AUG Staghorn
SEP Glob
Q3 Queen Marlena (white space suit)
OCT Mutant Skeleton Warriors 2-Pack
NOV Quakke
DEC Gladiator
VEH Land Shark
Q4 Starburst She-Ra
HOL Illumina & Snow Cat
Mini-Sub Intergalactic Pirates (Stickyfingers & Batty, Leo, Lava-Man, Hisser, Pirate Troops 2-Packs)

TCE Netta & Eyebeam 2-Pack
JAN Kittrina w/ Grimalkin statue
FEB Red Knight
MAR Artilla
SUB Prince Keldor (Great Unrest)
BEAST Red Beast
Q1 Discs of Doom Skeletor
APR Snake Mechanek
MAY Brainwave
JUN Prahvus
Q2 Sorceress (Mini-Comics “Pink” version)
JUL Hoove
SDCC Muck Man & Three-Beast 2-Pack
AUG Compactor
SEP Horde Brain-Crab Concept Guy
Q3 Light-Spinner
OCT Horde Troopers 2-Pack
NOV Butt-Head
DEC Lady Slither
VEH Point Dread & Talon Fighter
Q4 Robot Woman
HOL Mantisaur
Mini-Sub Eternian Council (King Ceratus, King Taurius, Queen Andreenos, Kulatak Elder, Hawke, Manotaur)

2020 – The Year of the Meteorbs
TCE Dree-Elle & Montork 2-Pack
JAN Cometroid / Granita
FEB Gore-illa / Garn (Filmation)
MAR Orbeetle / Vypor
SUB Inspector Darkney
BEAST Ambrosia Webstor
Q1 Ferros
APR AstroLion / Millennial Prince Adam
MAY Dinosorb / Despara
JUN Comet Cat / Chef Allen
Q2 Repta
JUL Crocobite / Bowena
SDCC Millennial Teela / “Snake” Teela 2-Pack
AUG Ty-Grrr / Darkdream
SEP Rhinorb / Celice
Q3 Rackney
OCT Tuskor / Horde Mystic 3-Pack
NOV Orbear / Darius
DEC Manticlaw / General Tataran
VEH Battle Bones
Q4 Admiral Scurvy
HOL Tyrantisaurus Rex
Mini-Sub Council of Evil Giants (Azdar, Belzar, & Chadaz; one released every 4 months)

2021 – The Year of the Movie
TCE Movie Evil-Lyn & Pig-Boy 2-Pack
JAN Kevin Corrigan
FEB Garn (Mini-Comics)
MAR Oracle of Zalesia
SUB Eternian Lubic
BEAST Bionatops
Q1 Movie He-Man
APR Karg
MAY Movie Man-At-Arms
JUN Cambro
Q2 Movie Skeletor
JUL Movie Teela
SDCC Air Centurion 2-Pack
AUG Julie Winston
SEP Ssstretch-Neck
Q3 Millennial Sorceress
OCT Warlord / Trooper 2-Pack
NOV Beast Lord
DEC Detective Lubic
VEH Blasterhawk
Q4 Movie Beast Man
HOL Turbodactyl
Mini-Sub New Adventures (Vizar, Drissi, Kayo, Teela, Nocturna, & Sorceress)

Note the complete lack of Chase Figures. };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Okay, so the Mandatory Secret Accessory Reveal shows a nasty vine with a mean-looking flytrap at the end of it. Someone suggested it belongs to Perfuma, but I'm hoping for a Millennial Evilseed with a spare swappable Filmation head.

Thoughts . . . ?
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm really hoping it's not Filmation evil seed, just millennium. That evil seed was cool and a distinct look from FES. I don't think there's any chance that it's perfuma.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Well, the vine looks more like the ones that came from the MYP Evilseed. I won't mind so much if he's packaged as the Millennial version, but it'll be super if he has the Filmation head in there somewhere as well.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:18 pm

man, after re-reading my last post, i hope that didn't sound like i was dogging you out beedo, cuz i wasn't. sorry if that's how that read. what i meant to say, had i been more clear, is that i feel like MYP and filmation evil seeds are too disparate to be repped in one figure. the vine looks like millennium evil seed, and i hope that's who it comes with, and largely suspect it will because the build of that version is very motucy (as in, wha-too-wah toosi, only mo-too-mo tucy), filmation evil seed is a weird head, and a boy more in line with modulok or maybe lizard man, and so should get his own fig on that slighter buck.

BTW, your list above, of the planned beedo roadmap is deep, thorough, and rigorous, just like i like my sex! hence why i didn't comment, i was too busy toweling off. :eek:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm

I getcha, DR. And normally, I'd agree with you. The only problem is, I don't see there being enough time to churn out two radically different versions of Evilseed. I reckon once it's hidden under his big robe, it won't matter what body he's got.

Glad you like "The New Roadmap!" I've now got at least one, maybe two slots that need re-filling (run with it), and in light of the line-art for Vintage Strobo's cardback surfacing, I think the Elite Horde Troopers in the mini-sub can be replaced by the Snake Horde Troopers:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m3O90MixFug/VCgw2nzvVjI/AAAAAAAACWU/0SwKhj6Q06Y/w800-h511-no/07.jpg
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 am

Yeah. I don't believe in luck, so I'll wish him success, instead.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com