In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby Tochiro » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm

dayraven wrote:and in theory, while i know every one is asking "how can they do dragstor with a no action feature mandate" even more bizarr to me is the idea that they are doing rotar and twistoid... those things will SUCK translated into full action figures... and they'll probably be built on the ram man buck.

when i started this, my brain said this was relevant to the ongoing bravestarr, "should they, shouldn't they" convo, but now, i don't see it... i might be dumb. :blink:

No, it is relevant, because the starter of the sub-thread was Rio Blast and his gaping chest hole (which was my mistaken assumption as I was completely unaware it was actually a thought out detailed chest hole) which blended into Bravestarr.

I, also have no concept of how Dragstor will be anything other than a crashing letdown. Again I look for schooling. My vague memory is Dragstor had something akin to Kenner's 'SSP' pullcord flywheel that he scooted along on.

so, working on that assumption, the MOTUC version would have (fatty fat fat) torso armor with 'barely big enough' non-moving half-wheel protrusions. The 'plan b' I could see them doing would be NO fake wheel but a clip on skateboard thing with wheels (that don't roll?).

If I suggest that 'plan c' calls for a blonde wig and lipstick I may get hurt... :)
Tochiro
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:46 am

Call me an optimist, but I'm hoping that since all the other vehicles have rolling wheels, the "transforming warrior vehicle" would have a rolling wheel. But, in the words of Cyclonus: "Never hope. Hope is a lie."

And, yeah, the original had a ripcord-powered flywheel in his abs, which allowed him to scoot along (with the stabilising effect of some elbow skid-pads, as well).
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:43 am

see, dragstor would be kind of unsatisfactory with a stationary wheel sculpted into his chest armor, but since we've seen that on psyklone and hurricane hordak, it wouldn't surprise me... and the (saints preserve us) logistics of installing a working wheel seem just orders of magnitude beyond what this line's handlers can conceive. I can only imagine the idea of the other two must have blown some minds literally out of their heads over at the brain trust in cupertino.

seriously... they wouldn't release half-figures, right? but rotar and twistoid had no lower torso, they were high falutin' dreidels!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Rotar & Twistoid are supposedly in a 2pk. Whether that encourages lower halves or not is another matter, but it's been discussed. I'd prefer them to have lower haves myself.

I don't know that I'd appreciate all the FB posts from Emil if they used something similar to these, but I'll take the figures and the crowing.

ImageImage

ImageImage
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Tochiro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Rotar & Twistoid are supposedly in a 2pk. Whether that encourages lower halves or not is another matter, but it's been discussed. I'd prefer them to have lower haves myself.

I don't know that I'd appreciate all the FB posts from Emil if they used something similar to these, but I'll take the figures and the crowing.

ImageImage

ImageImage

OMG, really? REALLY? These guys were originally Whizzers (tm) with toros? Holy what the what, how did I never know that?!

I'm pretty sure Mattel's Whizzers (tm) were a long dead product by the time MOTU came out. This revelation shocks me no end, that they still had tooling and engineering for that stuff. How is it I have zero memory of these figures? Yikes.
Tochiro
Ensign
Ensign

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:21 pm

i'd prefer they have lower torsos too, but admittedly, that's not exactly in keeping with the spirit of the originals. i don't know if them coming in a two pack means much, every other two pack had legs. [smile]

i think lower legs are the right answer, but man would they have the vintage purists' panties in a bunch if they did that. emil's versions seem like a reasonable way to do things, if a bit tool intensive for the really real world. emil's suggestions have been ignored plenty though, even when they were good ideas. i can't see those versions being cost effective as mattel sees the world (even though a lot of those parts could be redecoed and reused.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Rotar & Twistoid really push the limits of what I care about, but I'm sure like some fans don't give a flying flute about Dragstor, I'll gladly add them to my collection. These sketches are pretty good, if they come with a full body that would be pretty awesome!!!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:22 pm

dayraven wrote: emil's versions seem like a reasonable way to do things, if a bit tool intensive for the really real world. emil's suggestions have been ignored plenty though, even when they were good ideas. i can't see those versions being cost effective as mattel sees the world (even though a lot of those parts could be redecoed and reused.

The only real clue we could get on the legs is to know how Toy Guru regards the originals. If he wants legs, we'll get 'em.

It's Twistoid that is killer. Rotar is cheap, even with legs, he's jut a head, armor, & the top bottom. Then again, Twistoid could just have Trap-Jaw legs. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:08 am

i imagine twistoid could make creative use of the horde trooper arms and unarmored torso too. or to put it this way, it'd be no more of a stretch than using those parts for flogg.

BTW, quick flogg note, the socket on my flogg head is loose, prompting me to drive more incessantly towards customizing him, but i have to ask... who thought the techno fishing pole was a good idea? cuz that looks NOTHING like a whip. it looks like a techno fishing pole, largely because it's a techno fishing pole. i suppose you could make the case that when the vintage toy was done, a whip might have been regarded as too brutal a weapon to do straight up, so they spaced it up... except in a line full of swords, axes, and thagomizers, only the most obtuse observer would think a whip is a more brutal weapon. that TFP is the worst accessory in the line as i see it. if anyone is interested in it for a custom or whatever, fire me a line, there's no WAY it will EVER appear in my display.

PS fun note, in looking around for pics of the vintage toy when flogg arrived, i ran across another flogg, w/ a grappling hook and a much more intriguing appearance (for me at least), and one has to ask... why didn't we get that flogg? cooler weapon, easier parts re-use, and a head djordje could have plussed up into one of the more menacing faces this side of IGS.

PPS on the subject of bad NA weapons, can anyone explain quakke's Doom Putter? cuz come on... that thing, is a giant ass golf putter... of doom.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:45 pm

That other Flogg was "Hook 'Em Flogg," when they decided to up the ante on some existing characters instead of making all-new ones for the new gimmicks. Who knows? The line goes on long enough, we might get him.

As for Quakke, the idea is that he has a huge mofo battle club with a meteorite on the end. He's supposed to be able to swing it over his head and smash it down so hard, the rock shatters.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com