In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby dayraven » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:32 am

you're the man beedo! thanks for that link.

so, i ran across an interesting question on facebook the other day about whether the fanbase of the new 52 he-man prefers his classic look to the existing modern look, and it immediately made me ask, what, for everyone, constitutes his classic look? and that's not me being a motu snob, to me, that's a valid question, because we're had:

the filmation look
the dc comics blue vested adam/he-man
the mini comics oo-lar
mini-comics he-mullet
mini-comics pink vested adam/he-man
the tony guerrero prototype
the vikor concept sketch
the vykron prototypes
the actual toy

all of which had very different looks. for me, when i think he-man, i think oolar. which is not to say i think oolar is the most badass looking, or that he can't ever be topped, i think he has been topped many times, but the he-man look that clicked in my little head, was that barbarian dude with the gently flowing mane who existed prior to getting the he-gear from the goddess. then, he ascends and becomes the he-man, but that pre-he-man barbarian caught my imagination in his steely grip and has held on for 30 years. that's why, despite the fact that i think the MYP snake armor look is CRAZY cool, i'm more looking forward to the aesthetically simpler oo-lar. that said, i love the guerrero proto, and i love vikor... vykron is far more fun to me in classics, when i can parts swap, than the images of those old protos, they did nothing for me at all, and i have never liked the prince adam concept. i don't want a barbarian transformation sequence, i want a barbarian thrust into a world he had no idea was there, a world in which he's not a total authority (like in the mini-comic, why does he instantly recognize procrustus? cuz he sees him every friday buying figs from the cornerstore? what the gonx??) and a world where his power only buys him so much leverage, so things like the talon fighter or the diamond ray of disappearance still present a real threat/challenge. stop and ask yourselves, with all the cool feats we've seen from he-man since, in the comics, the cartoons, the mini-comics, etc... of what value are the weapons on castle grayskull? if everyone can leap tall buildings in a single bound, or raise a shield on a whim, or block lasers with a sword, why even bother having a cannon on the tower? why have a quintain in the courtyard? no one is riding horses, they're so last year, a horse looks like a bitch next to a giant cat, or a griffin... unless the horse can fly! but then, you're kind of out of the necessity to joust, no? you can't do a straight charge when your opponent can easily bank right or left and flat leave you.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 am

My pleasure, DR.

I'm not intimately familiar with "The New 52" MOTU stuff, because I don't collect comics, I figured it was a reboot instead of a continuation, and I wasn't particularly enthralled with the new designs. As for a "Classic" look, whatever the Vintage angle you wanted to look at, the subject always LOOKED like he came from a culture where they haven't moved much beyond the medieval aesthetic. The first images of The New 52 He-Man I saw, though, looked like a movie / video game producer decided to amp things up and modernise them. They just . . . didn't quite look right to me. Even the Millennial / MYP designs looked suitably barbaric. New 52: Enh.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:17 am

by chance, did you ever see any of the pics from the power and honor catalog? cuz emil found some concept art that really took he-man into some intriguing areas, more 13th century than 3rd, and for me, that was a very cool concept.

but that said, where was your initial connection to the character? the toys, the mini comics, the cartoon? like i said, there was a moment for me with the mini comics that i connected to the character more in that medium than the toy i was actually holding. not that i didn't love the toy (to this day, the feel of a masters figure in my little hand was probably my strongest sense memory of bonding and interest. this is one of those things that anchors me to motuc, the same hand-to-toy ratio and the feel of the big, thick toy in my hand elicits a certain tactile delight), but that image, of the savage champion who discovers a powerful magical artifact through the intervention of a hot sorceress... yup, i was hooked.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 pm

No, I never saw any of the elitist cabal propaganda catalogue. };D (Bitter? Oh, a tad.)

My first connection to the property was through the figures and mini-comics, when I got a Man-E-Faces for my 8th birthday. While I generally liked the stories and tone in the mini-comics (never had the first four story-comics, though), I was constantly annoyed by the way the colours didn't match up with the products. Never had any of the full-sized comic books or story books. The most exposure I had was through the Filmation cartoon. The live-action movie presented a couple of good new figures and a crappy one, but would've liked some more. And the MYP cartoon really resparked my interest, even though I really didn't like the Anime-style designs of the Millennial reboot.

In short, I can pick-and-choose what I like, MOTUC-wise, out of just about every incarnation, but the Filmation cartoons (which were huge and all over the place back in the day) seem to have stuck with me the hardest. Not to say I love everything about the Filmation cartoons, of course, but they continue to influence my fandom more than any other incarnation. Which is why I would so love Kothos, Dragoon, General Sunder, Evilseed, and loads of other Filmation characters made into action figure form. They stuck.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:10 pm

alright then. i get where you're coming from now. so "your" he-man is the filmation he-man. dat's killa bra.

you know, interesting point... the MYP cartoon took a lot of visual tips from a pitch the horsemen made to revive motu. one of things they advanced in their pitch was that skeletor had obtained both halves of the power sword. he-man had received the mecha-sword from man at arms so he could still become he-man, but essentially, skeletor had "won" that part of the power struggle and the masters were now kind of renegades, calling on the movie for some of this story content. now, the MYP 'toon kept the aesthetic, and thus a two-sworded skeletor, but they never explained it in canon, and obviously, it didn't achieve much for skeletor to have the swords... but i've always wondered, if they'd taken up that angle, if the power swords had remained the key into the castle, and skeletor got it, what do you do then? i would have made the he-man transformation a one-way thing, like he builds the mechasword, gets transformed, and has to stay he-man lest the power return to the castle and be under skeletor's control...

but as you and i have discussed, there's more to the castle than the power of grayskull. what on earth do you do if skeletor inherits the book of living spells, or unlocks the power of point dread?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Well, that's just it, mate: "my" He-Man is more a blending of the best bits of all those incarnations, plus the MOTUC bios (such as the idea that there have been many He-Men through the ages). The blend is just a bit Filmation-heavy, because they introduced a number of nifty characters that never got figures, and I spent a lot of the 1980s wishing for figures of Icer and Lizard Man and Granamyr and Dragoon and suchlike.

As for Skeletor getting his hands on the Power Sword, yeah, that was a nifty plot device, and I liked the Millennial redesigns as designs, but neither the split swords nor the techno-sword really struck me as The Power Sword. Someone once fan-ficked (it's a word because I say it is) a backstory about Skeletor's Millennial split swords being his attempt to duplicate the real Power Sword's powers to get him into Grayskull by merging the Light Sword of Zoar and the Dark Sword of (Something-I-Can't-Remember). A Fakerised (because I say so) sword, if you will, but not actually a sword for Faker. I kind of like that version of the story.

I also recall Skeletor getting his hands on Point Dread at one point, but I can't remember if it was a mini-comic or what. Didn't last long, though.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 pm

ah, ok... gotcha now. somehow i read the first explanation as a sequential thing, not a guanabana thing. but i'm with ya now.

you know something i've never entirely understood... why the power swords on the flags of grayskull don't look like the vintage swords. like, none of them (as i note that the filmation sword didn't look a damned thing like the alcala swords, of which there were several... and they didn't resemble the swords on the flags either from the old mark taylor proto castle, nor the actual flags we eventually got sold) makes you wonder if sharella was handing out placebo swords or something? in a way, it would make sense, they were given a faux-power sword to help the individual guardians of the castle learn to embrace their own inner power, and when at last they'd become their own Men of He, they get the real sword... that way, you weed out the toolbags and douches before giving them real power (like black adam from the captain marvel comics... we avoid a colossal problem later by being prudent right now)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:23 am

Yeah, I didn't get that sword discrepancy, either, when I was a youngster. But here's my take on it now:

1) The flag-swords were based on concepts whose designs were changed for the toy, but not the flag. Happens a lot in the toy-making industry. That's the Real Life explanation. As for the in-fiction story . . . .

2) Those swords represent the "Vintage" version of the techno-sword that King Grayskull owned before he got the Sword of He. Veena enchanted the flag so that if a dark magician takes control of the castle, the flag changes colour to warn everyone.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 am

interesting... i like that! the color changing flag makes sense, the evolution of the swords makes sense... hmmmm... yup, i'm stealing that one. and of course, now CGM wields a replica because that was the sword at the time the castle (and he) were made.

speaking of CGM, i thought you might like these:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2413049/ ... erialId=94
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2413952/ ... erialId=94

how you too could benedictine your castle grayskullman. really, you should peep all that dudes pieces, he has been busy posting up a lot of designs, of varying success, but the cool ones are very cool.

you know... just as a musing, are you at all familiar with the mythos of soul calibur? in those games, there are two magic swords, soul edge and soul calibur, and their fates are intertwined as good vs evil, but it doesn't really work like that cuz everyone who takes up a weapon with a piece of either possessed sword in it tends to become loony of one variation or another... but where i'm going with this, what if the techno sword was a rival weapon, and the sword of grayskull and the sword of He were dueling entities of a sort? this could explain why the twin sword motif is recurring, and why the "fake" versions of each have power, but not "THE" power... just something to mull over.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 am

Yeah, I like your continuation of the CG sword explanation! I also like that Jawbridge shield! Not so hot on the tower fists, though. As soon as MOTUC ends, I'm going to start looking seriously into Shapeways.

I've played a couple Soul Calibur games, but not owned any, not got into the mythos. But I like your extrapolation of the idea into MOTU.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com