In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Got to thinking about The Wicker Man (the original, not the Nick Cage remake), and the pub and spring-god imagery found around the island:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

When I get around to writing a longer story, there is SO going to be a tavern called The Moss Man Inn. };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:21 am

By the time they actually get around to making the Masters of the Universe movie(s), we will have actually gotten around to inventing time-travel, enabling us to go back and forth in time to get the people best suited to play the characters at the height of their ability. So, who will play which role? I haven't been able to wrap my brain around the problem much, but a few people sprung to mind:

Jeff Corey as Zagraz the Comet Keeper:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0179786/mediaindex?ref_=nm_phs_md_sm
(about the time he played "Santa Claus" in Night Court)

Sydney Greenstreet as Kothos:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002113/mediaviewer/rm2065869312
(round about The Maltese Falcon)

John Houseman as the voice of Granamyr:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002144/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
(during his Paper Chase years)

Carey Elwes as Bow, sometime in between The Princess Bride and Robin Hood: Men in Tights

"Arnold Strong" as Beast Man
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/?ref_=fn_al_nm_5
(immediately after Hercules in New York, before he got more language tuition and went by his real name)

Dave Prowse as Triklops, about 1973-ish

If I think of any more, I'll post 'em.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:54 pm

what kind of movie are you casting? for example, if you're doing a filmation-y kind of movie, i think a young john cena would make a fine he-man, as he's was more than a little cheesy, but huge and physically mobile. however, if you're looking for something more savage, alcala era kind of cinema, cena is entirely inappropriate. too much corny cute in him, he can't shake it. i might be tempted by a young jesse ventura then, about the time he started wrestling, when he was huge and menacing. and he already the military past to provide genuine menace to the character. i know i keep picking wrestlers here, but really, for he-man, the physical demands are, to me, far more important that the acting chops. it's not othello, it's swords and huge muscles.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:58 pm

I haven't got much in the idea of the main characters. I'm not very familiar with wrestlers or any other muscular types (MME, bodybuilders, whatever) past about 1985.

I'd probably audition Anna Nicole Smith circa 1992 for the Sorceress, if only so I could get her into the costume so I could die a happy man. Having said that, paint her blue and cram her into a Shokoti costume . . . .

Style-wise, I would try for something leaning more towards the Alcala / Millennial feel, right up until Adam the Idealist becomes He-Man. I'd start with the Powers of Grayskull era and lead up to the Filmation / Millennial Era, starting out grim and bloodied, but keep Adam pretty much like he was in Filmation. He would then get a nasty wake-up call when dealing with the Horde, discovering his sister, and BOOM! emotional conflict so he could go in a new direction, which would leave him questioning the universe and his life, right when the Snake Men decide to attack.

But then, I haven't thought much beyond a few ancillary characters and the general gist of the arc I want the series to go in. I'll probably ponder on more of the characters over the next few weeks, but for now, these are just idle musings, triggered by seeing Jeff Corey in an episode of Wild Wild West and remembering that when he appeared as a slightly demented Santa Claus in Night Court, he looked exactly like Zagraz.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to MOTUClassics.Com