In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby dayraven » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 pm

so, i'm creating a thread where random musing on the motuverse may be posted... partly self serving, as i muse on it often... but everyone is welcome to contribute and sound off whatever ramblings they may have... so kick things off...

i'm passing on panthor, largely because i dislike the mirror aspect w/ he-man. he-man and battle cat SHOULD i think have a unique relationship, one not mirrored by the likes skeletor and panthor. so panthor's out, for me. if/when we get a spidor, that'll be skeletor's ride.

really, at motuc scale, are most of us up for vehicles? i'm a man with concerns over, oh, what's that pesky figure buying constraint that isn't money... oh, yes, SPACE!! i only have so much room man... and battle cat, while necessary, reinforces to me how much space motuc sized vehicles/beasts will be... and imagine the bigger vehicles at that scale, like the shown battle ram... now, as a kid, i LOVED the battle ram... besides spidor and battle bones, it got the most play time. i'd love to have a new one, and will likely get one if it gets made... but i asked myself some time ago, and bored the ever-loving bejesus oout of my wife w/ this dillema, if we got motuc vehicles, how many could i afford and what would i want. the answer is, basically, i'd get three, battle bones, battle ram, and spidor. i CAVED in getting battle cat, because "the new one would be more playable than the vintage one" and in essence, only barely. mine's joints are inconsistantly scary tight and functionally uselessly floppy, that he can be posed between play in one pose. the only things that can get any play are his neck & jaw. that sucks. and because some of his key joints arms floppy, play is tricky. not unrewarding, just... an exercise in patience. but to get back to vehicles, i feel like i got kidn f jipped by the QC on beasts, especially after gygor, so future beasts i'm out. vehicles will have to be perfect (at least in functional, i can stomach a paint smudge) to keep me buying, even then, there's only three i'd invest in. so if i had matty's ear, i'd kind of politely tell them "you must chose, but chose wisely..."

that said, by the time we get to playsets, i'm slightly more willing to fork over my space & scratch, cuz playsets rock and you get a ton for the buck... which to me is pretty likely the indication that mattel has no desire to do playsets. [smile] were we to get them, there's only three i'd be interested in, snake mountain, castle grayskull and gigantisaur (yes, i do truly think he would qualify more as a playset than a beast... do the math. see the features. join the cult) of those, snake mountain would HAVE to include the microphone to get me to buy, castle grayskull would require a working jaw bridge & trap door, and gigantisaur would have to be able to poop masters and balance on his tail to fire his gutlaser. any of those facets out, and i'm out. anyone else given this any thought? keep in mind, the cost would be huge, i can't see any of the playsets coming in under 100 bucks, and really, 150 to 200 i think is likely. so to keep me into the playsets idea, nd be willing to devote that much space to those pieces... yeah, my list of demands would HAVE to be met, and met to satisfaction in a way that current motuc toys just aren't doing. truthfully, i think from mattel's end, playsets are just flat out. so this is a pipedream... but you know the saying "if you can't dream it, you certainly can't achieve it."

lastly, on a figural note... two bad was originally solicited as the master of strategy... did ANYONE play him that way? the cartoons played him as constantly bickering and in general, being douchy to himself, as did the comics... that doesn't sound very strategic. they kind of have an eisenhower/patton vibe to them... only two-bad's essentially one dude. so for me, i always played him as a heavy. he was skellie's go-to muscle, usually paired w/ clawful as a lethal combo, a two man "take 'em OUT" squad. then again, i never played the heads as contentious, i played them as one being, who simply had two heads... the motuc approach to making them two distinct entities magickally merged, that was a new idea for me. i still don't know if i like it, because it kind of logically leads down the contentious road, and as i said, i preferred a mean angry barbaric kind of two-bad. i always played blue-head (tuvar) as the smarter of the heads, while purple-head (baddhra) was the stronger willed and more savage of the two... but they worked together unless they got bored. i never made them a mastermidn kind of character though, as between skellie and evil lyn, they had brains covered... and in the modern line, i'm adding kronis into that braintrust.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: In thinking about the MOTUverse...

Postby dayraven » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:36 pm

working on something regarding king carnivus...
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:43 am

Adam hated these gathering. His father, the kind King Randor, would gather the members of the Eternian Council and sit and talk politics forever. Adam’s attention would inevitably fall to one member of the meeting though, and he would sit and daydream about fighting alongside these heroes as He-Man and completely fail to pay attention to the actual meeting. Today’s unwitting subject was the mighty King Carnivus.

Carnivus intrigued Adam. He was quiet when the other rules of the Eternian Kingdoms were boisterous and outspoken. Yet, Adam knew that as a warrior, Carnivus might be the best of any of them. Unlike the Calligar’s, the Qadians did not seem to live by what Man At Arms called “the Rule of the Loudest.” Carnivus was an enigma. Even after saving the Qadian capital from the Snake Men, Carnivus had barely said a thank you to He-Man before returning to life as if nothing had happened. Adam found this quite intriguing.

After the meeting finally ended, Adam made no pretense of another agenda; he scurried directly over to the quiet King. Unsteadiness shook his voice, a trick he relied on to keep his cover “K..King Carnivus? I have a question for you, if you don’t mind.”

“Certainly young Adam.”

“Tell me of the Qadian people please. We have very little written in the Eternos archives, and I would like to know more, to further relations between our Kingdoms.”

“There is little written because we Qadians generally keep to ourselves. We don’t often involve ourselves in the goings-on of Eternian politics. The Qadian way is the Way of the Strong Individual. We keep to ourselves and gather only when we must. This is personal strength, to the Qadian way of thinking.”

“But surely the Qadians have been active in the cultures of Eternia in the past, right? I mean, the symbol on your shield, it looks like the face to the Central Tower of the Great Triumvir.”

“Oohhh… your father has taken you to the Triumvir, has he?” King Carnivus’ ears slowly pointed backwards, and a smile crossed his face. “You must be brave indeed, for the Triumvir has been one of the greatest sources of strife since its creation. Yes, my shield, the Aegis of Fangs, is indeed constructed in the image of the Tower, which itself is build in the image of an ancient Qadian, Khan Maximar III. “

“I’ve never heard of Maximar III. Who was he?”

“Firstly, Khan is the proper name for a Qadian ruler. Khan Maximar was a great hero of the Qadian people who lived very long ago, before the rise of the Snake Men. So long ago was this, that his death predated the arrival of the Horde. Khan Maximar fought hard as the front line to stop King Hsss’ from expanding his power. He died fighting the serpent God Serpos, but as his death, in the Armpit of Procrustus, he released a death roar so mighty, it felled the God until a coalition of mages rendered the beast into the mountain you know as Snake Mountain today. In his honor, the Central Tower of the Great Triumvir was carved in his visage, to honor his bravery and might. The Shield was forged not long after the Tower was constructed, and has been carried by every Qadian Khan since then.”

“WOW! I didn’t know any of this. Why isn’t this story part of the archives? Even if King…err, Khan Maximar wasn’t an official ally of Eternos, surely his heroism deserves to be recognized.”

“Why? Eternos has always had her He-men to protect her, and though Maximar was strong, he was no He-Man.”

“Trust me, even He-Man had his difficulties with Serpos.”

Carnivus’ ears flattened back, and his eyes grew wide.

“Oh, how is it you know that?”

“Um… I saw him, when Eternos was attacked last year, as we fled. He-man stood tall to battle back, but he was still, at that point unable to match Serpos’ might.”

“Well, this He-Man is still new to the job… and very young yet.” He winked almost imperceptibly fast at Adam. “He will grow to match, or perhaps, exceed, his predecessor, or we are all doomed. It seems the forces of Darkness are swarming against the Kingdoms of Light, and that is why now the Qadians cannot keep to themselves. We must fight back, but we alone would be vastly unequal to the task. Just as He-Man has the Warriors of Light, so do even the mightiest peoples need allies.”

“King Carnivus, thank you. May I come visit you again in your city some time?”

“As you wish, young hero.”

And With that, King Carnivus bowed, and turned to depart. What young Adam missed was Carnivus taking a deep inhale as he bowed to the prince. As he turned to walk off, Carnivus smiled gently to himself. He had what he had come for, and he would help Randor defend his home, and specifically his son, who someday would defend the Qadians yet again. Let the boy have his secrets. After all, curiosity killed the Qadian.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:08 pm

I'm calling this the "In-BIO_tween" story of gygor, wun-dar and scareglow. please to enjoy.

Karak Nul was researching scrying artifacts in a library in Blackshore when he happened upon a reference to the Cosmic Key. On further research he discovered that the key could be used to enter Castle Grayskull. However, on further research into the location of the item, he found that the last known location of the device was in a town long since devoured again by the Vine Jungle. The territory, as he unfortunately discovered firsthand, was now neutrally established feeding grounds and eagerly defended by the Sentient Beast Tribes. Spurned and injured, Nul sought another answer: he needed a member of the Sentient Tribes who could easily penetrate the Jungle, and was smart enough to recognize the device when they saw it. His many attempts to penetrate the Castle directly had always been thwarted by Wun-Dar, but with the Key, he could enter through a mystical backdoor, while his new minion occupied Wun-Dar personally.
As he observed the various Sentient Beast Tribes, he spotted a member of the Yellow Ape Tribe who seemed more ambitious and willful than most of his brethren. Karak was able to call this gorilla aside and make him an offer: In exchange for bringing Nul the Cosmic Key, he would bestow upon the Ape a spell which would allow him to command his brethren. Gygor eagerly accepted the offer, but Nul double crossed him. Not wanting to have the scheming intelliape turn an army of beasts on Nul himself, his spell only gave Gygor command over simple beasts, not the Sentient Tribes. Gygor was outraged at the double cross, and instead of giving Nul the Cosmic Key, he turned the device on his would-be master. Unleashing a blast of pure cosmic energy, Nul found his soul stripped of his body and was left a drifting astral ghost of his former self.
For his part, Gygor, still seething from his betrayal, instead took the Key to Wun-Dar and turned the device over to him for safekeeping. In truth, the terrible power of the Key frightened him, and he didn’t wish to accidentally harm himself with the potent energies it unleashed. After meeting the remarkable young He-Man, Gygor pledged to him his service, and became a valued member of the new generaton of the Defenders of Grayskull. He was trained by the Goddess to master the abilities Nul’s spell had granted him, and was eventually able to command the beast-men hybrids produced by the crossing of the Gar and the Sentient Beasts.
OR
Gygor angrily tossed aside the Cosmic Key that had caused him so much grief, and spent the next several years engaged in a program of crossbreeding the versatile Gar people with various other species, trying to create a more useful slave for his power than the simple beasts of Eternia. Eventually, he succeeded in breeding the the Sentient Beast Tribes with the Gar to produce a race of beast men that his powers would still subsume. He would go on to lead this army right to Castle Grayskull itself and against her defender, Wun-Dar the Savage He-man.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:59 am

Cool, I shall read and comment later! :cool:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Cool, I shall read and comment later! :cool:

truly, you earn your name... :roll: :lol:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:14 am

dayraven wrote:truly, you earn your name... :roll: :lol:

Either that, or I could change my name to "Illite Rate-Man". :razz:

Just read it . . . pretty cool!
But I was hoping there would be a reference to the reliquary!
Lay Ze-Man

Postby dayraven » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:
dayraven wrote:truly, you earn your name... :roll: :lol:

Either that, or I could change my name to "Illite Rate-Man". :razz:

Just read it . . . pretty cool!
But I was hoping there would be a reference to the reliquary!

we're not that far along yet... scareglow isn't even fully scareglow here.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 am

"Impa-Tient Man" . . . ??? :lol:
Lay Ze-Man

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 am

is that a polite request for some more scareglow material?

he's tough, cuz believe it or not, i don't have much to work on. he's kind of adrift in the story content... what i did w/ gygor was essentially plug him into scareglow's time period, which didn't really have much else there, and then plugged wun-dar and the goddess in also... but essentially, that's all my (or us, as i'm far from the first person to propose that narrative move) story, and i'd have to create a conflict from the ground up. now, i planted the seeds w/ this story, the Cosmic Key being the focus of this conflict, and hopefully, in a more over-arching way, i want several of eternia's evil powers to have singled out am artifact or scrap of knowledge, rather than the power sword, to gain from castle grayskull. that how my later narrative element of the Blind Eye works, those various factions discovering they all have common goals and gaining some insight as to why that is... so the independent factions prove smarter then the "Big 3" but are less capable for lack of manpower. but when they form the Blind Eye coalition...

but, back to the point, this elemental blast that hit karak in this tale in essence gave him the ghostly essence of the modern scareglow... but he hasn't yet learned how to do anything in that state, we in essence leave our "hero" in a state of spiritual shock... it'll take some time before he learns how to do anything w/ his new condition... but it could prove VERY interesting once he does.... or do you want more a story of how he learns to use his new state of being?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com