Thundercats: Club Third Earth

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Thundercats: Club Third Earth

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Much relief on that correction!

@DR - I didn't think you were calling me out. Maybe I just wasn't clear.

Although, now that you ask the question, I'm not sure I amexcited about them. Come to think of it, off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot I've been legitimately excited about these days, which then begs the question --- why am I still collecting?

Aside from MOTUC (last year I subbed to Club Eternia & 200x and this year I'm subbed to Collector's Choice & Classics 2.0) I don't collect many other lines. I've been cherry picking Transformers for the last few years. The last full line I collected was Transformers: Animated. I haven't been collecting many since the Reveal the Shield subline. I'm fairly certain the only TF I bought in 2014 was Generations Jetfire.

Last year I got back into TF's with the Combiner Wars, I got the Aerialbots, Stunticons, Protectobots, and of course the Constructicons.

I also collected TMNT, but I've really cooled off on that line. At one point last month I had five new figures in my hands, but ultimately I couldn't pull the trigger.

Last November I found a bunch of World of Nintendo figures but didn't have the cash, so I decided to put them all on Lay-a-Way throwing down ten bucks. I also threw in the JAWS Reaction figures. I practically forgot that I had done so, and eventually I just paid off the layaway (so I wouldn't get penalized) and returned all the figures except for Starfox (which is the one I really wanted in the first place).

To be honest there's not a lot of enjoyment from these days, but I think it's me (I've been sinking back into a depression for the last several months).
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Hey, there, Tear, if there's one thing I know about, it's depression. I know it can't always be lifted with medication, and idiots who say "Other people are worse off than you, get over it" should be hit in the face repeatedly with shovels.

If it's any consolation, I know what it's like. What kept me going is that I had two elderly parents to look after who needed me, which has now become one elderly parent, one girlfriend, and some godsons and "nieces and nephews" (in the Mando sense). My trick -- and it doesn't cure the depression, or shift it, it just gives me a purpose to keep on keepin' on until the depression passes of its own accord -- is to live for the sake of my loved ones.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 am

I hear ya. I try to stave off depression by staying active and concentrating on the positive stuff in my life. Family, friends, my job, swimming, and of course my hobbies (collecting). (See my new "Self Help" thread) LOL!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:26 pm

so in the interest of pursuing this conversation, noting that it's derailing this topic a bit, but who is it exactly we're going to keep it railed for, what is it that you both enjoy about collecting? i mean, obviously, there's a certain nostaligia factor, "i like that awe that i got when i was a kid, that 'ohh, cool!' moment" but beyond that, as an adult collector, why this hobby and not say, computer gaming or D&D or movie trivia or something?

for me, i like storytelling, i love writing up stories for the figures in my collection, and in general, i like relating things i like about the figures into the story content, so for example, several years ago now, when the horsemen debuted the scarabus concept sketch over on fan ex, i wanted that figure, bad. i crafted stories in my notebooks and on my desktop about a prophecy unearthed in "my realm" that heralded the coming of a great evil. when that concept finally got the upnod and went into production, i actually started researching other figures i wanted who would fill out the ranks of his evil organization. some of them made perfect sense, his personal herald was the SAS buffalo man (partially because i loved their articulation scheme, partially because once i got that figure, his posability was intoxicating, and his sculpting made him look arrogant and aloof) i even did a stop motion video with him several years ago that lurks in the seedy underbelly of youtube. that figure got me pumped! another one, the rock dude chunk, from toy story 3, i loved his giant rocky physique, and i loved the face flipping feature. he went into scarabus' crew too! then i actually got scarabus and fell in love. a part of my collection today is still in an effort to give him the crew i feel he deserves, cuz he's a fantastic action figure. but also, he changed my aesthetic sensibility. the detailed sculpting and the nuanced paints made some of my older figures look positively stone age by comparison. over the motuc debacle, it became clear that i'm out of love with the 90s aesthetic, and so, a big part of that element in the collection is going (and of course, scarabus killed them!)

therein lies some of my issues with motuc... the simplified aesthetic bothers me, on some figures more than others, but i can't help but sit back and observe that i unloaded my mcf toys badrock figure because he had blocky, ineffective articulation and blah paints that looked like the plastic cast you make toothbrushes from... and yet, he had an action feature we only see in motuc vehicles, and he's more stable on those stubby feet on my shelf than my motuc he-man... and has no paint imperfections like the rampant case of pink eye he-man enjoys! when i start to look at that chunk of the collection, i look over at monev the gale and wonder what the mangosteen happened. i want a collection where monev fits in, not one where he's the coolest mangosteen thing on the shelf. some figures, like the comic book stuff, i can kind of overlook that they're not trying for "realism" as a design principal, but then, wow me with something else, posability, artist likeness, era specific costume, something. some of the marvel legends collection absolutely fills that for me. some just do not. so those figures have to go. the figures with bad QC have to go, i'm tired of repairing and coddling figures that aren't even 5 years old because the plastic grades are starfruit. i've repaired figures for my kids with plastic washers, leather washes, screws, glue, all kinds of crap, and they're not even three years old! (the figures, not the kid) why would i continue to waste time like that when my good pieces have been with me well more than 10, and a precious few survive the 30 plus year journey from my youth to now? so those elements of the collection have to go, because what i'm about is inspiration, and durability. cheap figures, flash in the pan figures, or even overly nostalgic throwback figures, just don't interest me any more.

and of course, budget eats my hat. i wanted that generations devastator something terrible, but when he came out, i just kept finding other things i wanted more. i got some cast iron for the kitchen, i got some knives, i got some pouches to trick out my military bag, and boom, no money for devastator. and to be honest, while i'd still like him, i don't feel overly lost without him, so i probably won't pursue it. it's not that i don't love giant robots, i do, but to be honest, i watched a british gent do a thorough review on the 3A titanfall atlas, and i kind of went flaccid on devastator. granted, i know they're night and day on the budget, but come on... that atlas looks mangosteen AMAZING! that's the kind of design and innovation that ignites my creativity and my passion to write!

i tell you what i'm chomping for, i want my mythic legions figures so bad it hurts! if you haven't yet, youtube the reviews of the test shots that people already have, there's one in particular where the guy is very thorough, (here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyqcW4-e7lk) and holy crap, they just look great. i've been literally dreaming about these figures for the past two months, almost nightly, and have a ton of story ideas i'm refining as their release draws closer. i have this sense that somehow, this is the line i was meant to finish my collection with. they're well sculpted, they're well articulated, the paints are amazing, and the parts are swappable. this is literally the exact criteria for my inspiration collection. BOOM! side note: the above linked video, i have a hard time listening to that kid. there are certain nuances of language that drive me mangosteen batsh!t and the overuse of the word amazing is but one such peccadillo. but it's worth it just once for the info on the figures.

so that's my motivation for what i want out of my collection, and how i'm trying to get it moving forward. i'm curious you guys, what kept you in the game through adolescence, and what keeps you in now. if t cats isn't tickling your fancy, what is?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 pm

I think for me a large aspect of collecting has been the thrill of the hunt. I used to enjoy pulling into the parking lots at random stores and walking in for the prospect of finding something desirable. I would head to Wal-Mart at 2AM in the hopes of finding a fresh case or having the chance to pallet dive. Lately, not so much.

I've never been big on the storytelling aspect. Sure I have often pondered about various characters and perhaps their adventures alongside their counterparts.

One of my favorite episodes of the MYP 200x MOTU series was "Trust" when Stratos is forced to form an alliance with Trap-Jaw. So I like to fantasize about various characters at random all having had similar experiences with each other.

The simplified aesthetic of MOTUC never bothered me. While I don't consider myself a slave to nostalgia, I do tend to lean towards that direct. Even the little "easter eggs" that the 4H have included on the sculpts, like for instance the spin dial on Sy-Klone. Yet I can still occasionally look objectively at a figure and say, "yeah, they really should have taken more liberties with this guy".

My history of modern collecting started in 1999 with Transformers. I didn't collect Transformers until 2002/2003 with Mattel's Zipline Batman and then I dipped my toes into the 200x MOTU line. I didn't know what articulation I was missing until I got my hands on the first wave of DCUC and then became disappointed that the 200x figures didn't have the same range of motion as these figures did. Keep in mind I was never exposed to Marvel Legends or anything similar at that point.

When Devastator came out I didn't have the cash for it, and I do not buy toys with credit cards (I refuse to go into any debt for toys --- no exceptions). I did however place him on lay-a-way, therefore guaranteeing that I got one. Of course as it turns out he was pretty easy to find, so either supply met the demand or he was such a big ticket item it kept him from flying off the shelves.

The Mythic Legions figures do look awesome, I am sure you will have a field day with them. I wanted to pledge to the KS and just get the basic knight and maybe a skull dude, but I didn't have the cash for it so I had to pass. Hopefully I'll get my hands on one.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Out of curiosity, are you a flea marketer? I don't too often, but when I get really, really itchy for the thrill of the hunt, I flea market and/or pawn shop because they're the last bastion of the unexpected for me. These days though, I target, I want playsets or cast iron (not toys, i know, but you can find some stunning cast iron pieces out there that most people ignore thanks to rust.)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 am

Not really, there is a flea about 20 minutes from me, but I rarely go. I met someone via Twitter who actually lives not too far away from me and he goes frequently. From what I understand to get the good stuff you have to get there early though, and I've never been an early riser!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 am

Sorry, been waiting for a chance to sit down for more than 5 minutes and bash out a thoughtful response.

I've been collecting all my life. Matchbox and Hot Wheels from before I could even remember. Star Wars and MOTU from 1982. Lots of odds & sods and bits & pieces (some original TMNT, GoBots, The Tick, Jurassic Park, and Kenner's Aliens & Predator lines) and apart from a few years during high school, I was always acquiring stuff that caught my fancy. I keep collecting for many reasons.

1) Nostalgia. This is the main one. They've taken what I liked as a kid (or young adult), and they've made 'em EVEN COOLER. And more numerous. And I can now afford to get them. I could only afford to get Star Wars or MOTU figures when I was a kid, plus a few other bits here & there. Mostly had to wait for birthdays and Christmases to get vehicles and playsets. But now, all the stuff I liked from the 1980s (except G.I. Joe, which has effectively died) is getting a more detailed, more poseable revamp, and I love it. Having said that, I've pretty much abandoned everything but MOTU now, except for a few exceptional pieces from other lines. (Super-deluxe 24" Batmobile with metallic paint on hubs & pipes, Batman & Robin with cloth capes, AND a working bat-signal? Yes, please! Masterpiece Seekers? Gimme! 6" Star Wars bounty hunters? Load me up!)

2) I've been brainwashed with the "Collect them all!" propaganda. I've been a bit better at controlling this in the last year or so. A subset of this mania is Cold Plastic War Syndrome: gotta have a bigger army than the next guy, so troop-building gets a bit out of hand. I will not be happy until I have at least 50 Horde Troopers.

3) Someday, my vod'ade (godsons, "nieces" and "nephews") may inherit some of this stuff.

4) I like to display my stuff. I'd need a museum to show off all of it, but my MOTU collection is shaping up. I won't feel comfortable posting pics until my half-finished customs and tweaks are done, though, and I have a LOT of those hanging around . . . .

5) My Inner 5-Year-Old still has a strong say in what I consider to be cool. I work, I pay taxes, I have a girlfriend, I shave, I drive a car, I look after my aged mother, but damned if a blue space-pirate with swappable weapons, a rotting green face, and metal jaw that chomps through anything ain't just awesome.

6) Storytelling. This is less important to me than it is to DayRaven, but it's still a factor. More frequently, I'll write short fan-fics for figures I want to see made (like I did with Kothos and Dragoon), in hopes that more people will jump on the bandwagon and clamour to get them made ASAP. I also like the mental exercise of planning out stories. Makes the day go faster during a slow shift at work. };D

Oh, and I'm going to be very picky with Thundercats. I want Sssylthe and the Berserkers in the future, and that's about it. I don't want any of the heroes, or even most of the villains. I've ordered the Mumm-Ra off BBTS for $70, but that's still cheaper than signing up for four other figures which I don't even want and have them all shipped over here to England.

And, you know, if Hasbro / Takara had been doing proper Combiners since 2008, I would never have gotten into all those horrendously expensive 3rd-Party things, however cool they might be.

Now bring on Snake Mountain and Titan-Class Trypticon!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

I'll respond when I have the time to give it a proper thought!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Okay, so did anyone bag a Lion-O, subscription or day-of?

Not that big on Thundercats, m'self. Just curious.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com