Collectors' Choice 2016

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Collectors' Choice 2016

Postby dayraven » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Beedo Sookcool wrote:Got notification of all three Lord Masques on their way, in two separate shipments. The subs will be combined in March. Huzzah!

Now to see if I can make a Removable-Mask Masque with soft goods cloak. I'm thinking a Faceless One head for underneath . . . .

so let me ask you my fine man, observing all these soft goods mods you've worked out for your motucs that you've shown so far, i think they look great, and clearly, you're having a great time with them. my question is, what would you estimate to be your total investment in soft goods for them, and do you feel like the line could have benefited from adding soft goods where appropriate? i have absolutely felt that way, almost from day one. i wouldn't have done faux fur for the loin clothes, too often that fur is just too stiff and thick to be particularly good looking on an action figure, BUT for capes/cloaks/tabards/tunics, i feel like the savings they could have enjoyed from needing less tooling on torsos could easily have yielded some great looking soft goods that would not only have looked fine, but assisted in posing/stability, because some of those plastic capes are EPICALLY overwrought and create serious weight problems.

there are a few complaints i've lodged over the years about the line that i feel like really would have given us a superior line, but i don't feel like i'm over ambitious, or pie in the sky with what i wanted. a few choices here and there, and i feel like we'd have had a better line for essentially the same money we/they spent. soft goods, actual ankle rockers, wrists with extension swivels, and a more cohesive design ethos would hit almost every complaint i have.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Well, good sir, thank you for your kind comments on my modifications! (And to be frank, I have done very little in the way of actual modifications so far, at least compared to what I want to accomplish!)

The cost is hard to discern. I've had some fabrics hanging around for YEARS, some of which I got for free (discarded old napkins, pillow-cases, or trouser off-cuts, for example). Others, I bought so long ago that I forgot how much they ran me. Still more came off other toys (the loincloths off a 12" Slave Leia I used for another project, for example) and weren't even considered in my fabric budget, but went into the bin out of serendipity. And recently, since there are almost no brick-and-mortar places to get fabrics and such these days anywhere near me anymore (all long since closed), I have to get practically everything off Amazon, and they don't sell anything in less than 1-meter swatches, and I have to pay shipping on them, too. It could easily be in the $200 - $300 range, but spread out over two decades, which could make it less than $15 year.

As for if I thought the line would benefit from soft goods, my answer is -- always has, and always will be -- an unconditional YES!

I think that plastic capes and skirts are so heavy and restrictive; they make posing and balancing too difficult. (And figure stands take up way too much room when you're trying to fit everyone on a single shelf!) Try putting an original She-Ra on Swift Wind. Try putting Adam in the beloved "By the Power of Grayskull!" pose. Try doing an action pose with Mo-Larr or Queen Marlena. You can't. Not satisfactorily, anyway. If I wanted statues, I would buy statues. I want action figures. Poseable, fun action figures.

Back in the "Vintage" days, Adam had a velvetoid jacket, all the PoP ladies had cloth skirts and capes, and Scare-Glow had a wicked-cool fabric cape. Ninjor's tunic was, admittedly, a bit naff (especially after some wear-and-tear!), but it was a nice gesture. It would've been nice to have those duplicated in the modern line, but in the case of Ninjor, I'm actually happier with what they ended up doing with him. It would certainly have eliminated the complaints that the PoP ladies' garments are too flat, boring, and cartoony-looking, if nothing else. Heck, the 1978 Jawa 2.0 had a dang good fabric robe!

As for fake fur, I intend to use some in some upcoming modifications. With Vykron, in particular, I would love to recreate his "Prototype Trio" looks, and the type of fake furs I have (not too thick and heavy) could make that possible. And they could also be used as well with other characters, like King Grayskull (for his cape).

I try to use fabrics that drape well and look good at that scale, like the "sheer stretch fabric" I used for Spirit of Hordak's cape (gotta redo that sometime; the effect is what I wanted, but I'm not 100% happy with the shape of it), or the velvet I used on Horde Prime and plan on using with Masque and Shokoti and others with black or red capes. I've even got some bottle-green velvet for Queen Marlena's gown (when I get around to it), and an opaque snake-print purple stretch fabric for Prahvus' cape (and possibly loincloth).

I know a lot of people will bitch and moan about how soft goods never look right, but I think you just have to look for the right fabrics, learn how to cut and prepare them, and mount them properly. Can't remember if I've ever shared this link before, but here's my Star Wars-centric custom thread over at Rebelscum:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1034528/

Some of the earlier stuff doesn't look that great, but I was still experimenting with fabrics when some of those were made (like with Navik the Red's duster-cape).

There are some quite ambitious projects I'd like to do. An all-new Shadow Weaver, Regular and ToD Sorcress capes, Vintage-toy-accurate PoP wardrobes . . . . Yeah, I've got plans. I just don't know when I'm going to GET to them all! But I'll keep you all updated! };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46 am

Beedo's use of softgoods look incredible and really make the figures pop. I especially love Queen Grayskull. That said, I'm not a huge fan of softgoods myself.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am

Thank 'e, mate!
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Got the first Masque today, and I love it. Been waiting 32 years for a figure of this guy, and now I've got him!

I especially like the clasps on his harness being behind his back!
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34 am

Masque is pretty awesome. Definitely one of the more iconic and memorable Filmation villains. I've got him on the shelf with Shokoti!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 am

Yeah, my hands have disintegrated again. Any customising will have to wait until I regain my integumentary integrity. };D
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 am

I know what you mean, but I don't. How exactly have you're hands disintegrated?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:56 pm

I suffer from eczema. Some allergen or other triggers it. Usually, it's dairy. Sometimes, it's plastic. Or pet hair. or whatever. And at the moment, my fingers look like something out of a horror film or a medical textbook. They keep leaking and bleeding and won't heal very well. Saw a nurse last week, she gave me a prescription for some antibiotic healing tape . . . which nobody has in stock, not even the manufacturers! Going again tomorrow to try to get this sorted out.

Dunno if you can see this image or not, from my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156488620545564&set=a.10150356280180564.588845.737925563&type=3&theater
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Ouch! It looks painful! I used to have bad eczema on my arms as a child. Luckily it cleared up as I got older. A co-worker of mine has a pretty bad case of psoriasis (at least that's what I think it is), it's on his arms, face, etc. I don't know how far it goes, but I imagine he's got it all over. Hope you can get that under control man! Mind if I send you a FB friend request?
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com