King Hiss Snake Torso Screwjob

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: King Hiss Snake Torso Screwjob

Postby Mr Spock » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:01 am

Sorry, but that's sad. To set such a precedence for toy companies to continue to make garbage just so people can fill a void in their lives, and having plastic arrive in the mail on a daily basis as a result of some sick addiction.
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:55 am

Look, if I didn't think it were still worth it, I'd give it up.

This past year, I've already abandoned trying to be a completist for G.I. Joe, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars. I've cut my TransFormers collecting way, way back. I'm now down to collecting only the occasional exceptional piece in all the lines I used to buy up like hotcakes . . . and MOTUC. Are some of Mattel's decisions and outcomes unsatisfactory? Yes. Is there the occasional quality control issue? Yes. Is the shipping punitive? Yes. Does Digital River still suck? Yes. Are the toys still cool, worth having, and do they bring a smile to my face? I think so. Otherwise I would've thrown in the towel.

I'm 41. I spent the first half of my life growing up and going to school and college in preparation for a productive life. I then spent the second half of my life looking after first my father, then both my parents, and now it's just my mother, because they had me late in life and got old and in need of care before I could make my mark on this world. I never partied or went on lots of road-trips with my friends or got to do any of the other things that most young people think is their natural-born right. I'm 41 and I haven't had much of a life yet.

I've needed the distraction of collecting to keep my mind off how bleak, unfulfilling, and tedious my life became, with no bright light at the end of the tunnel in sight, and MOTUC is the last line I have any real passion for.

You don't have to £*#&ing tell me how £*#&ing sad my £*#&ing life is, because I already £*#&ing know! You want to complain about stuff you don't like, that's fine. But don't try to make me feel even worse than I already do because this one coping strategy is one of the few things that still gives me pleasure in this sick, sad existence of mine.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am

Anyone else get their Serpentine King Hssss today?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:12 pm

I was late ordering mine. Hopefully I'll get it soon!

Edit: I will get mine Tuesday! I paid the extra $2 or whatever to get it FedEx!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Nice! Still looking at April sometime for mine to arrive.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to make the "Other Hydroid" Snake Man from the Dark Horse art book, the one in the gory Preternia scene.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 am

Mine arrived Tuesday. Of course I forgot the box at work, and yesterday I so was so thoroughly exhausted I didn't have time to open him! Looks great in the package though!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:02 am

Got mine yesterday. Ankles pretty loose on one, chest not painted on another. Haven't opened the third one yet. Eyes somewhat sloppy all around. Not a catastrophe, just an annoyance.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Paint on mine is pretty good for the most part. The only minor annoyance is that the right leg fell right off at the thigh hinge. I should be able to boil and pop it back on without any issue.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:53 am

it's a strange thing, but i find his legs feel...flimsy? maybe it's the disproportionate weight of his upper torso, but his legs feel light and like they're an entirely different plastic grade, and unlike any other motuc i have, they wobble in the hip sockets. like, if i hold the upper torso and move the figure back and forth, i can see his thighs move. i'm never had that happen on a motuc before. man, as many times as i've justified to myself and others that part of the motuc appeal is the durability, that feels like a knife in the back. wobbly parts don't build trust. and really, i thought the days of exploding crotches and cracked ankle discs were behind us.

other than that, i love the extra limbs, but i wish the main head was likewise posable. it's kind of a bummer, as aesthetically, he's nearly perfect. it's in function that he comes up short... and it's largely why i'm turned my back on motuc. between armor that has to be trimmed to get the shoulders their range of motion, loin clothes and skirts that must be cut up to allow the hips to move, and accessories so ill conceived that they topple the figure they belong to, i'm just burnt on motuc. i want figures that can stand on their own, that make materials choices so that the articulation remains useful, and that make pretty sculptures where i can identify the accessory item.

i have some comparison reviews in mind, once the mythic legions and articulation icons figures my youngest and i got come in, because if those figures achieved what they set out to (and the mythic legions i already know did, thanks to the few reviews and videos people have done of the test shots) i want to showcase where the industry can go, versus where it's been. and if i have to start a wordpress, or accept an offer from doomkick, so be it. noisy and i don't really talk anymore, so if i post something here, it'll only be in the boards, so it'll be just for you guys. BUT drrampageo from doomkick has been after me for a while to do something for him, and i may well fire him a message and make an offer, once those figures arrive. i'm not interested in doing a straight up review, what i want is instead a comparative review (or reviews) of some common articulation points, and what i'll do, to be fair, is feature maybe four different figures per POA or feature that can be shown as a compare/contrast. if i do anything though, it'll definitely be something you're not generally seeing right now in written or video reviews. there's no sense in being white noise on the scene.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Sounds neat, DR! Keep us updated!

I know what you mean about Hssss' hips. I think the original (MOTUC) had a similar problem, too. Oh, well. I'm keeping at this 'til the very bitter end. I'm resigned to not having a COMPLETE complete collection, but discounting the Statue Grayskull, Blue Grayskull, Silver She-Ra, Treasure Chest Imp, and the Power-Con Exclusives I'm not really worked up about, I've got my collection as near as damn-it to complete as I can get it so far.

I'd be surprised if the line lasted beyond 2016, to be honest (happily, though). We've come a long, long way, surpassed all other iterations of MOTU, and had one HELL of a ride. But even I know it can't last forever, and I can see the signs of it winding down. The only upside of no more new figures rolling in: I might eventually get around to customising again!
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com