King Hiss Snake Torso Screwjob

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

King Hiss Snake Torso Screwjob

Postby He-Mullet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I know you guys have been wondering about King Hssss and now that I have some concrete answers I can share what’s going on.

Yes, the new torso was scheduled to be released with Buzz Saw Hordak. However, when we tried to combine the two we found out that it wouldn’t be possible to do so due to costs. We tried a few different options (alternate packaging, higher price point, etc.), but none of these choices made sense (business or common).

So here’s what we’ve decided to do: King Hssss will still be released in 2015 but he will arrive as a complete figure. Accessories, alternate head, another set of legs…it will all be there. After reviewing all the different factors that went into making this product this was the only thing that made sense as well as the right thing to do. We know that promises were made regarding how you were supposed to receive this figure but ultimately…it just wasn’t possible. It didn’t sit well with any of us to force you to pay a premium for this item so we decided to put the power in your hands.

As a sub holder you will not be locked in to purchasing this figure. King Hssss will be offered during the month of November as an add on item. If you want him, he’ll be available during Early Access; if not, you won’t be obligated to purchase. All remaining stock not purchased will be offered during our November All Access sale.

There will be pictures posted of the bendy headed Snake Men leader at a later date, but I didn’t want to wait any longer to give you a heads up.

Transparently Yours,

Skeletor’s Love Child :matty:

The Post-Guru era is not Unicorns and Rainbows... First POWERCON's exclusives, now Subscribers are NOT GUARANTEED to get their King Hsss Snake Torso...
Discuss these uncool news!
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Re: King Hiss Snake Torso Screwjob

Postby dayraven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 am

is there really much to say? i am far from exhausted in my rage reservoirs, but i kinda knew, when they had no news to offer at SDCC, that they were holding a wet blanket and wanted to get everyone hyped first before throwing it on us.

firstly... yeah, it sucks, if for no other reason than, if you bought king hsss, who was initially shown with and solicited with that serpent torso, you're no longer guaranteed to get it. that's starfruit.

secondly, they're making me cough up money for another set of legs i don't need, another staff i don't need, and a shield i don't need... that's starfruit.

thirdly, if i wanted to be a douchetool, a true human sh!tburger, i could stock up in early access and then ebay the hell out of the serpent torso hsss, cuz there will absolutely be a market to do so. that's a starfruit thing to do to the fanbase, turn us on each other and encourage profiteering at each other's expense. it has never been ok that mattel has done this to the fanbase of this property, but it's done it plenty at this point...

and therein lies my lack of complete outrage. if this were the first, or even fiftieth, time mattel had done this to masters collectors, i'd be stunned and outraged. but at this point, we're talking WWE level screwjobs, and much like with their product, i'm not surprised anymore, just disappointed, in them for perpetuating the stupidity, and in myself for tolerating it. one more reason this year is my last, i don't care if they package snake mountain in a box molded from kate upton's boobs, i'm done. i just don't have it within myself anymore to encourage or excuse this behavior with further patronage.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 am

Yeah, not thrilled about that. One of the reasons I bought two subs was to get two King Hsssses, to display in both modes. Now, I'm not guaranteed the second option.

Worst comes to worst, I've already got a 9-headed custom snake torso I could use.

Hey, they seem to have completely deleted the thread for complaining about this fiasco over on MattyCollector. Can't let that stand.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:27 pm

gee, i wonder why they might do that...
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:56 pm

I can't even... like DR, I just don't have the reserves for this one. It kinda feels like they're holding the snake torso hostage... we already paid the ransom demand and now they're asking for more money.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:25 am

Here is their proposed solution. And it actually looks pretty cool. Will they make enough, though?

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/fo ... 1761066788
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby He-Mullet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 am

I hope they do, because I need my Euro Vacation Hssss... But to be honest, it stinks that they mangosteen up but we have to pay for it.
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 am

so, getting some more time to think about this, and seeing the proposed release this morning, let me amend/proviso my earlier sentiments...

to be entirely fair, the new team running things does seem to have a better head on their shoulders, and i do believe when they say "we tried to work this in to the existing product budget and it just wasn't happening" unlike with TGs tyrannical rule, i buy that that is true, and so, if we wanted the torso at all, it was either next year, which would have pissed me off even more, or they do what they're doing and create a new slot. so in that regard, nice move...

and seeing the piece now, i have... slightly fewer concerns about the torso? like, i think the choice to make the lower legs he comes with snake legs is inspired, but it creates the odd dichotomy of him now seeming like too much of his own character... so i'm more likely to keep this as a stand alone piece, so YAY! no floating useless legs in my parts bins, but now i have three king hissae? i wouldn't even begin to know the nomenclature for multiple king hisses... hissen? mangosteen all, i don't know. and while that might seem like a first world problem, cuz it is, it does beg the question, do i really need this in my collection? and it still leaves me with a worthless serpent torso from vintage hiss who looks like a two dollar knockoff of this kit. so they saved me two torsos, but still leave me a dud, and i have to create shelf space for a new figure.

i also am glad to get the alternate serpent weapons instead of another snake staff, i have all the caduceus staves i need, thanks... except, can this hsss even hold them? the shield sure as starfruit won't happen, but the larger snake heads, MAYBE will be able to grip the hafts of the weapons... but maybe not. so these are strictly for arming the rank and file. cool, but not exactly screaming "MUST HAVE!!" not at 30 bucks.

i'm trying my damndest not to be debbie downer about this starfruit, i really am... but even when they least-botch a decision, they can't seem to get it right. does that make sense?

finally, there is very much a point here to be made about showing us too much. this year, we all cheered the transparent, upfront showcase of essentially most of the sub figures for both subs, and we were generally positive on that move... but as i pointed out with snake mountain, showing us too much is as bad or worse than not showing us at all, because it sets up expectations that they frankly just may not be able to deliver on. there is already chatter about what features of that snake mountain that got shown people are most willing to part with, and to me, that's like arguing which sailor gets the final go at mary jane rottencrotch before they ship out... you shouldn't have to be mentally preparing yourself for what your willing to give up, expectation management is their job, not ours. they should have showcased the set at the right scale, and not a minute before, then they should have surprised us with the throne and bluetooth speaker as things became clear that they could be afforded realistically, and to "plus up" and and build hype for the release. now, all news is bad news, and that's asstastic. which is precisely what they're running into this time with king hiss, every decision is a bad one, or turns us further away from the pie-in-the-sky deal we were teased with. i hope, for this new team's sake, that everything ELSE they showed at SDCC is pretty much in the can, because the minute they announce that teela is getting pulled from the point dread pack because she couldn't cost out, it'll be ToyGuru 2.0 and they'll have lost every ounce of trust they've restored. that could very well end the line once and for all.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

Yup, I pretty much agree with everything DR just said.

And I believe the correct plural is "Kings Hssss."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Beedo Sookcool wrote:Yup, I pretty much agree with everything DR just said.

And I believe the correct plural is "Kings Hssss."

Nah, your pluralizing the title "king" there, not the proper name hsss. Kings hsss would be corrected if there were multiple kings, not multiple hssses. Like "Kings Harry and James buggered the locals, as per their custom"
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com