MOTUC 2012 SDCC Exclusives

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: MOTUC 2012 SDCC Exclusives

Postby PrfktTear » Mon May 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Everyone is just so reactionary... I've come to terms with it and I'm not letting it spoil my fun. I mostly stay away from .Org and most Transformers sites... if I was heavily into Joes or Star Wars I suspect I would do the same ---
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm

the thing that amazes me about them is the tenacity they show is doing the same thing month after month... it's like, at some point, one would assume that wile e coyote would tire of pursuing the road runner... apparently not.

it has to be emotionally draining to be psycho codependent on a toy line, but i suspect a lot of the vocal fanbase are very lonely people who don't get much emotional connection from other people, so this is their way out. they rant, rather than hug, so to speak. it's sad, but it's all i can do to explain the time and energy they blow on a toy.

on the other hand, i don't begrudge anyone having a reaction to the toy... i just would like to see some type of introspection before they hit the web and inform everyone of "the gospel according to froganus97" or whatever. like, you like the figure, that's great, let's not pretend the sultan of bruni just offered you a billion dollars to sleep with his three hottest daughters... and on the converse, if you don't like a figure, let's not pretend they're sneaking lard into the matza.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed May 09, 2012 10:09 am

I think this is one of those things you and I see eye to eye on.

I can understand having passion for your hobby. I can see as a consumer expecting that you get some value for your hard earned dollars and some respect.

All that said, the emotional rollercoaster must be draining. I was on it myself for a little while --- through all the ups and downs, the highs and lows of character reveals, bio reveals, Matty drop days, white screen of doom, QC issues, blah, blah, blah. After the whole Battle Cat/Trap Jaw incident it really knocked the wind out of my sails and I got off that bus.

I don’t want to speculate the nature of some of these folks; maybe they are just everyday people who just have an intense passion for this line. Growing up, I loved MOTU just as much as the next guy. When it came to collecting I was point-blank told by my mother that I had to choose between He-Man and ThunderCats and I picked He-Man. Even though I did dabble in some Transformers I my collection was dwarfed by MOTU.

Again, totally respect having passion for one’s hobby. But yeah, some of these diatribes read like mini-novellas and TBH unless you’re making any sense you lose me after the first few sentences. Bueller? Bueller? It isn’t even as much about whether I agree with you or not, but whether your argument makes any sense.

Another thing to consider briefly is that the ones who are the most vocal are typically the minority. For every one person that’s upset about one thing or another, there have got to be ten people who are content, or at least don’t care enough to make a stink-or about it (you see what I did there?).
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 pm

i like what you did there, that was sneaky. good on you.

i think we're completely on a wavelength here. like you, i totally understand interest, it's the wild emotional mood swings that defy ration. and it's so odd, in that, while i see over the top behavior on a lot of fan sites, it seems the motuc fanbase are particularly bi-polar on the topic... they're either A) everything is perfect! guy, or B) everything is starfruit! guy, and inevitably, that's the reaction for the first week or so of reveal, then they mellow, then they buy... and there's up to the minute coverage of how long it took, how many WSODs they hit and on what screens, and then they hop on the "damned digital river!' bandwagon for a week, then they spend five says on the "damned cornerstone logistics" or "damned newgistics" bandwagon, then they get the toy and the general consensus is "it's ok, it has some faults, but by and large it's a good toy." and then the cycle begins anew... for 4 straight years now. holy berbubblefarts, i can't even conceive of being that irate/surprised/elated/melancholy over and over again. i would abandon toys and start drinking if i was that unstable.

and yes, i think they are the vast minority of the fanbase, but they certainly get heard, don't they? it's exhausting sometimes. as a 34 year old hobbyist, far be it from me to tell someone to get a life... but hot damned... they need a life. :raven:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 pm

On drop days I would either bang out or schedule the day off from work. I'd sit there with WSOD in one window and either Poe Ghostal's or IAT refreshing that site checking for comments.

Believe me, if there was a magical store that sold lives, I would totally be there.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to MOTUClassics.Com