DC Universe Classics questions

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

DC Universe Classics questions

Postby Orrimarrko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am

New here, and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a couple of questions.

I'm looking to get back into collecting again (for the third time...uggh), and wanted to minimize my purchases as much as possible. I've been in and out since the line started, but it's been long enough that I have to get a refresher.

I don't mind getting repaints, but hate buying the exact same figure twice. I don't collect "in package", so packaging is not a factor.

I'm wondering if the figures released in the "All Star" or "WGSH" packaging are the exact same thing as the figures that were released in the original wave.

Also, I'm hoping that someone could help with a complete and accurate list of all of the Batman and Superman releases, since there are a TON of them.

For instance, are the Batman and Superman figures released in the Walmart 5-pack the same as any of the other releases? I just don't want to get the same figures multiple times if they're the same.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Orrimarrko

Re: DC Universe Classics questions

Postby Bigbot84 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 am

As far as I know, the WGSH re-releases are the same as the original release with a stand instead of the CnC piece they came with originally. The only exception is the WGSH releases from TRU. Those have been different I believe. There was a metallic red Flash, red and black repaint of Nightwing (when he went by Renegade I think?), a black and grey Batman with a black bat symbol instead of the black and yellow symbol (or vice-versa). There may have also been a metallic Hal Jordan released. Hopefully someone else here can provide some more insight.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Scissors » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 am

Didn't someone report that in some odd cases, the All-Star figures are actually different from the regular releases? Flash comes to mind. Apparently the last All-Star (or was it WGSH?) Flash used the larger Superman/Batman body, versus the thinner one of the original. Personally I cannot verify that though.
Scissors
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby TSR » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 am

Scissors wrote:Didn't someone report that in some odd cases, the All-Star figures are actually different from the regular releases? Flash comes to mind. Apparently the last All-Star (or was it WGSH?) Flash used the larger Superman/Batman body, versus the thinner one of the original. Personally I cannot verify that though.

I don't know if it was a body of another super hero, but Scott has said in the past that molds have had to be retired and thus remade, so a Flash from three years ago is not the exact same as a Flash today.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 am

Off the top of my head, most of the WGSH releases are pretty much the same release as the regular ones --- aside from some minute details.

In terms of Batman --- there have been multiple releases, and it’s easy to lose track. What it comes down to though is your preference in colors and utility belts. For instance the Gotham 5-Pack Batman has the yellow oval Batsymbol and the pellet belt on his chest. Or the Wave 10 Batman is black (a reference to ’89 Keaton Bats). There was a TRU Exclusive Batman with the Black Batsymbol and pellet belt but also a release w/ black Batsymbol and pouch belt (from the Public Enemies Batman). Then of course there is the poo splattered Batman from the Clayface 2-pack, and the Sinestro Corps Batman from Wave 14.

Superman doesn’t have quite as many… theres Mullet Supes from Wave 6 or 7 (I forget) and the 5-Pack Supes. I prefer the MOTUC/DCUC Supes that came with He-Man though.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am

On the DCClassics.Com checklist, a superscript "1" denotes if a figure was rereleased in WGSH/All-Star packaging. For the most part these are the exact same figure being released. I can only think of two notable exceptions. The latest Superman release (there's no way to tell via the packaging) had a brighter slightly different shade of blue and sharper eyes than previous versions - he's the same as the one released in the Parasite 2pk. The other exception is the last Flash reissue where they used the incorrect buck which gave him the larger, more-muscled torso instead of the basic body.

BigBot is correct about the TRU exclusive All-Stars though. I kinda considered those a separate SKU than the normal ones, but those would be four different versions of those characters.

This article details all the Batman releases through 2/2010: http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=4005
Since then, there's only been the Sinestro Corps, Modern Age, and Golden Age Bats.

As for Superman, he hasn't had the minor difference releases like Batman. He's available in alternate costumes like Electric, Electric-Red, Mullet, and his Regeneration suit. There is a regular version with red eyes, but all other releases are basically the same minus minor changes in shade due to production issues.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Scissors » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 am

Found the article in question, that talks about the All-Stars Flash having the larger body than the regular versions.

http://thefwoosh.com/2011/06/first-look-dc-universe-classics-all-star-flash
Scissors
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I bought one of those and used some acetone to wash out the eyes, then filled in the pupils with white. My cheap version of Wally until Mattel gets their act together.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am

When the hell are they going to release a powder blue "Chris Reeve" Superman? Of all the tens of thousands of Supermen repaints they've released between DCSH/DCUC and onwards, this is the one they've yet to do and you know its probably the most desired.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Do you mean with a new head sculpt or just the standard Superman in light blue?
They did make one in light blue that was tentative as a two pack with Bizarro; these have been seen for sale on ebay from overseas for about $25-40

The guess/hope is he'd eventually see the pegs in the US via the new retail line. Might be a little while though due to the new suit changes
TSR
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum