DC Classics Swamp Thing & the Rest of the DCU

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

DC Classics Swamp Thing & the Rest of the DCU

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 pm

When I was initially working on the review for Swampie, I had this grand plan to take a picture of him with all the unique characters. I had to setup in a different room than normal due to space considerations. I knew that I should've used my Nikon, but I wasn't thinking and took pics with my usual Canon (I like it and it works great in proper lighting conditions).

Anyway, the pics were too grainy and only look good at smaller sizes, which makes the whole thing pointless since you can't see everything well. I thought I'd share them here even though they ended up not really being good enough for the reviews

NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Re: DC Classics Swamp Thing & the Rest of the DCU

Postby twofisted » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am

I dont really have a problem with his size. Swampy's one of those variable sized characters and Mattel decided to make him giant and imposing. Guess we should be glad they didnt make him the size of a grain of pollen hehe. My personal wish was for Mattel to make maybe some detachable parts. Maybe thick rooted feet or an arm with stretched out vine tentacles.
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 pm

twofisted wrote:I dont really have a problem with his size. Swampy's one of those variable sized characters and Mattel decided to make him giant and imposing. Guess we should be glad they didnt make him the size of a grain of pollen hehe. My personal wish was for Mattel to make maybe some detachable parts. Maybe thick rooted feet or an arm with stretched out vine tentacles.

see, now that sounds cool... but you just know that mattel could have found a way to blow it.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm

They might've felt that was retreading Plas from last year and they don't wanna come off as one trick ponies. :matty:

That's my problem with Mattel's long held attitude towards SDCC exclusives, in that the attention-grabbing elements for the average joe (fancy packaging, unique materials, large scale, shiny stuff, etc.) supersede any concerns about assuring the figure is the best it could be within the collection it belongs to.

The collector who made the exclusive possible to begin with takes a backseat to the other industry types that Mattel employees can tell themselves they've one-upped.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Btw, cool pics Noisy, small though they may be!
It's pretty crazy to see 'em all in one spot like that!
Really is an enormous set of characters!
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby j1h15233 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm

So is Swamp Thing worth it? I have to say my resolve is wavering because he looks cool.
j1h15233
Ensign
Ensign

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 am

If you like Swamp Thing and don't care about his scale, then yes, he's worth it.

There's some novelty to be had with the skin even though the articulation is removed, but if you're a scale freak then he'll drive you nuts.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Mose » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

I finally got Swamp Thing in yesterday. I find he’s okay at best. I would have rather a normal version of him instead of the hidden articulation theme.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 am

Exactly! He's just way overthought. Bad SDCC for DCUC all around. Wave 20 is boring, Swampy missed the mark, and the line is dead. Boo. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Mose » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:18 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Exactly! He's just way overthought. Bad SDCC for DCUC all around. Wave 20 is boring, Swampy missed the mark, and the line is dead. Boo. :lol:

Compared to Plastic Man, Swamp Thing is a major bust.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum