DC Universe: Club Infinite Earths

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: DC Universe: Club Infinite Earths

Postby timh_iat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 pm

With respect to the five stages of grief and the end of the CIE subscription, I feel reasonably safe to say we have passed through the first two stages of grief:

[done] 1. Denial and Isolation
[done] 2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Let me launch the first posting of stage 3:

Maybe if we start an email drive, directly to Toy Guru on the Matty forum, he'll give us would-be subscribers "early access" for 2014 and release the "limbo 4" (prison Doomsday, Aquaman, Superboy, Ice) like he promised. In my heart, I know Toy Guru is a caring man, and he'll see the rationale behind giving us 2014ers dibs on any DC figures he publishes next year.

And maybe if I promise never to call him a "misanthropic dork" again.

I have hope. CIE is dead, I accept that, but there's no reason we can't bring it back through the power of prayer. [magic]
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Meh. I went straight to acceptance.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby twofisted » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm pretty much resolved to the fact that its over. I'm sure we'll see maybe 4 or more figures released in some capacity, but other than that its a done deal. I for one went through those steps when the line was still alive and was begging and pleading with Matty to get their shyte together so that maybe the line could continue. For a company that preaches so much to the choir, they sure dont listen to the choir.

I've been reading many different discussions about what is to blame. Whether its character selection, marketing, Digital River, quality control or not being able to see all the characters up front.....I think its a healthy dose of all of them that eventually lead to this lines demise.

My biggest pet peeve was character selection and value. Spanning across the sub and the retail offerings, I think character selection was somewhat lacking. I loved the Superfriends wave and cant understand why lots of people hated them....but I get it, thats a generational thing. Same goes for the Super Powers offerings. BUT I couldnt get over the Deputy Lantern wave and the Brightest day wave. To me those were just plain lazy. To almost completely copy DC Direct's waves to the figure was a huge mistake. The retail offerings should have been marketed more to the everyday toy buyer and not the comic fan. I understand that their aim was probably to try and pique the interest of the retail buyers into maybe picking up come comics....BUT I dont think that happened at all.

I feel that Mattel should have marketed the retail line towards the general DC audience. Pepper into their waves characters relating to some of their past and current animated shows. Forget about a separate line of Young Justice...how about a character from that show thrown in here and there. Same with Justice League Unlimited. Throw in a Shining Knight or a Granny Goodness in there....not in their animated look...but just a DCUC styled representation. That way you could get people who were into that show to perhaps....the people who's only exposure to DC is from what they see on TV.

As far as the sub goes, I was more or less happy with the character selections. Of course there were a few disasters, but I was overall pleased. I'm well aware of all the many pockets and corners and eras of the DCU to come up with characters.....but in some ways I think Matty could have at the onset made it known that only a certain era of the DCU would be covered or limited designs to only generic looks and not all the specific looks. I know that would probably alienate quite a bit of people.....the Crabmask Kyles and the Hook Handed Aquamans out there....I'm just suggesting that maybe things would have been easier if Mattel set some guidelines that they could follow to keep them on somewhat of a track instead of flitting all over the entire 80 year history of the DCU.

Another thing that may or may not have helped keep the sub alive would be keeping the CnC figure. If they really saved some really special fan demanded characters and threw CnC parts in to each monthly offering may have piqued peoples interest....or at least gave them another reason to maybe deal with a figure they wouldnt normally get. I harbor no ill will towards cherry pickers...I completely get it....BUT perhaps if there were a really nice CnC figure to look foreward to by the end of the year....maybe some of those cherry pickers wouldnt be so picky. I know it would probably also piss a ton of people off haha.....just a thought.
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 pm

It will be missed. I just hope I don't have to pay too through the nose to get whatever stuff they let limp out... [sweat]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 am

It's been a long, long while since I braved Matty's website on a new release day, but I'm a massive Birds of Prey fan and Bat-family fan, so I had to try for that Huntress. I didn't experience any of the delays in the site loading like I remember (no white/red screens), but I did get an error message during check out several times. 3 or 4 times I got to the final step where all my information was entered and clicked to complete the order, the screen hung for a few seconds, and then I got a "Your information was not saved" message. Once I got it just when I clicked to go to the payment/shipping info screen. I ended up opening another browser (Internet Explorer, I usually use Chrome) and restarted the whole process in there. It ended up going through. Still, pretty annoying. Digital River's server stability may have improved in the last couple years, but their site is clearly still glitchy as hell.

And I paid $10 for shipping. Yeesh.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby timh_iat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 am

JamesLynch wrote:Digital River's server stability may have improved in the last couple years, but their site is clearly still glitchy as hell.

And I paid $10 for shipping. Yeesh.

Yeah, the high shipping is Mattel's kick in the pants. I joined the 2013 CIE in March when it re-opened, and shipping began at $7, then inflated to $10 for April. Funny thing is, you might get a better deal ordering the figs through a second party who possibly offers combined shipping.

I simply resigned myself and accepted CIE as my "book of the month club".

But onto the subject of Digital River's jammed site on sale-days--
And Matty tells us it can't sell enough of these figures to justify CIE 2014? That just sounds like bunk. At the very least, then, its order infrastructure isn't sufficient to manage the volume it does have. Even though I bought into CIE 2014, I'm washing my hands at its failure. Matty didn't need all of those guaranteed pre-orders to continue with the line. Whatever corporate politics was going on behind the scenes, by canceling CIE 2014, Matty threw away cash in the bag for a line highly likely to sell out. I mean, check out their sales site. Nearly every figure is sold out and gone within 2 weeks of release.

Bah! I guess we should be grateful to have been released from Matty's teasing promotional tactics. [domo]
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 pm

I got my Huntress today, and boy am I disappointed. The figure is, overall, as good as one can usually expect from Mattel. But the paint on the face just kills it. The skin tone is thick and gloppy, as is the dark red lipstick. The cut lines are all complete messes, and the paint on the eyes looks like something from a happy meal toy in the 80s. I'm sitting here thinking, "I paid $20 plus shipping for this?!?" If the face had been painted to professional standards, I'd be okay with the figure overall, even with the slightly-too-long legs, the slightly-too-short arms, the slightly too large and soft crossbow, the stuck right hip, and the chest joint that only ratchets backwards. But that face is just embarrassing.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby timh_iat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:53 pm

JamesLynch wrote:I got my Huntress today, and boy am I disappointed. The figure is, overall, as good as one can usually expect from Mattel. But the paint on the face just kills it. The skin tone is thick and gloppy, as is the dark red lipstick. The cut lines are all complete messes, and the paint on the eyes looks like something from a happy meal toy in the 80s.

My huntress's paint is "flawless", but I agree that the sculpt plus the all-black eye painting cost the figure something. Her face is too pudgy (even more obvious compared to the masterpiece Hush Huntress) and her eyes look dull compared to Fire and WW both having whites and colored irises.

Also Mattel botched the ab-crunch for no good reason.

But, all that being said... I don't want to call it a lost cause... if only the face were just a little thinner....... but definitely don't display it side-by-side with Hush Huntress.... makes me cry!
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby dayraven » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:02 am

in a sad statement of the state of things, the "last figure for DCIE"* unleashed doomsday, is on a delay. i don't know precisely why, but evidently, not all the stock is in the states yet, as mattel posted a comment on their facebook page that they're still awaiting a boat arrival to finish fulfilling orders.

WHY? for the love of god, why? and why didn't they bother saying anything until a week+ after the sale, when people were getting angry and sending them snotty emails after recieving the other cyber monday products they'd bought while still awaiting shipping confirmation on their matty order? i will never understand how this company does business and remains successful.

*- i asterisked because to me, it seems like damian wayne is the last figure for DCIE, but then again, the doomsday debacle isn't done yet, is it? some mother fu$%ers are always trying to ice skate uphill
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Previous

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum