Wave 18 (Apache Chief) Thread

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Wave 18 (Apache Chief) Thread

Postby Junkpile » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I have to appreciate all the hate this wave is getting from older comics fans.

I totally understand some annoyance with figure selections that aren't everyone's cup of tea, but once we start throwing around terms of this character deserves this or that, it gets a bit muddled.

Isn't "such and such has been around for thirty years and deserves" still just "I want!!" ?

It absolutely is. There really is no such entitlement for fictional characters. It's pretty silly to think that way. :lol:

For my part, I dislike 17 and most of 18. However, I think the only thing that really bothers me is the "layout" of the waves. SuperFriends/Flash Rogues/Deputy Lanterns/Whatever should (for my peace of mind) be scattered throughout several waves. When they do themed waves, it makes it too difficult to ignore one or two figures that make you unhappy in a wave. I'd gladly take Samurai if Johnny Sorrow was in the wave... or Indigo Atom if he was bookended by Fire and Ice. Too much of any one "thing" in a DCUC wave sucks a lot of the fun out of it.
Junkpile
Chief
Chief

Postby TSR » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:28 am

I do wonder if they went to themed waves for financial reasons.

I prefer variety of characters - but that's just me.

Granted, this was years ago, I think '08; I spoke to Jesse at SDCC and he told me the themed waves of ML had better sale through at retail than the more random character waves. I asked him if he had compared it to popularity of the BAF included and he commented while that could have been a factor, he said they had been seeing that from before there were BAFs as well.

I enjoyed my albeit rare chances to speak with him. He was very engaging when discussing business aspects.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby twofisted » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm

I wonder if this is a result of this rumored rule from DC Entertainment that all new toys must have the current/contemporary looks? Perhaps this is Mattel trying to quickly put out their planned nostalgic figures before they have stricter rules. I definitely see the frustration with a themed wave. I'm more miffed at the Blackest Night wave than this Superfriends wave. Really interested to see what comes out next. Anybody have any inside info?
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby TSR » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Past the rumors? viewtopic.php?p=19588#p19588
No.

But the great thing about that rumor list is that it was at least half correct for 18. So hopefully those other series are at least half correct to give you an idea as to what is to come.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby Junkpile » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm

The funny thing is that if any of 19 is correct, and if it's true that the Horsemen name-dropped some 4th Worlders at TF, then the mandate that DCUC embrace new looks/characters would have to be bunk. It has been confirmed that there are at least two GA heroes in 19. There would also be some mandate-busting inherent in DCUC 18, wouldn't there? Nobody but Boomerang is modern there. Hell, the cartoon guys aren't even mentioned outside the 'toon that aired 25 or so years ago.
Junkpile
Chief
Chief

Postby TSR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

http://thefwoosh.com/2011/03/ask-matty-3111

3. Will the DCUC 18 Bronze Tiger be the variant figure for that series? He was displayed with two heads but none of the figures were specifically marked as the series variant.

There will be a variant pack-out with each head, but both versions will come with both heads.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 pm

I don't think the "modern looks" take is bunk, but I don't think it can be realistically applied to most characters.

If you look at 18, the SF figures are in their only looks. Bronze Tiger's "modern" look is the same because it's barely changed over the years. Basically, all the figures are the "current" look.

That said, I don't think it applies universally. I think that characters DC is trying to push - like the Brightest Day 12 or anything Green Lantern will have to be modern whereas characters that aren't as important, it simply won't matter.

I mean, look at the CSA pack - Mattel screwed the pooch and offered two different teams mixed together. We'll have three of each version of the CSA because they included the classic Power Ring & Johnny Thunder.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby kingflame81 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:25 am

True, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to do what I have to to get ahold of that CSA 5-pack brother!
Yeah I don't get the mixing of different time period looks either, especially with the CSA, but that wouldn't keep me from getting 'em.
Honestly, I like the Pre-Crisis versions of Johnny Quick and Power Ring. To me they look better than their current looks. Owlman is the obvious exception. He's been improved on, and the same goes for Ultraman. Superwoman got a slight adjust, but other than that, they all look gravy to me.
kingflame81
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby kingflame81 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:27 am

Oh and one more thing, when are we going to see the C&C Apache Chief figure? I haven't seen any pics yet, and I'm curious, before making any final judgements, to at least see what he looks like. Anybody? :?:
kingflame81
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 am

kingflame81 wrote:Oh and one more thing, when are we going to see the C&C Apache Chief figure? I haven't seen any pics yet, and I'm curious, before making any final judgements, to at least see what he looks like. Anybody? :?:

Mattel did release a pic. We have it hosted on the DCClassics.Com 2011 page. http://www.itsalltrue.net/?page_id=8934

NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

PreviousNext

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum