Mattel & the different DCUC Factories

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Mattel & the different DCUC Factories

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 pm

The other day I mentioned making a list of which DC Classics figures came from which factories and that got some support, so I set my sights on compiling the list. Before we get to the specifics, I wanted to make a couple things clear.

1) This is all supposition. Mattel would never be interested in confirming what factory does what, so I'm just going on my intuition of how to read the footstamps. I've worked in a few industries where the product had born-on dates or origin codes and - if I'm reading them correctly - the code Mattel uses is relatively simple in the scheme of things.

2) This information is entirely taken from my figures. They may not reflect the origin of all figures depending on when/where we bought them. Some waves were made at different factories at different times. Most waves were made solidly at one factory, but a few waves - 2, 3, 11, and 12 - have figures from multiple factories. DCUC2 & 3 are known to have been produced at 2 factories at different times, but Waves 11-12 could've been split between two or made entirely at both factories. I don't have enough data to be sure. It seems like the A case came from one while the B case came from another.
3) This could all be completely wrong. :matty:

This is what I've gathered...

Factory "A" - DCUC1, most of DCUC2, some of DCUC3.

Mattel starts with this factory in late 2007. Not all of DCUC1 is marked with stamps (DCSH's don't have them either), but the ones that do are from late in the year. All of my DCUC2's were bought when they first hit except for Jason Rusch Firestorm. I bought him much later (and apparently from a different factory). Factory "A" also makes the early batches of DCUC3 in early Summer 2008. All the "Factory A" figures that I have from DCUC3 have that "white dust" rot.

Factory "B" - SDCC Exclusive Lobo

Factory "C" - Some DCUC2, Some DCUC3, DCUC4-10, Some DCUC11-12, All 2009 Exclusives, WalMart 2pk, GL5pk, TRU Singles

Mattel publicly stated they switched factories during DCUC3. None of my "Factory C" DCUC3 figures have rot. As I said, my Jason Rusch is a "C" figure, so if you bought DCUC2s from that second run, you may have all "C" figures. Factory "C" has done the lionshare of DC Classics.

Factory "D" - Public Enemies, Some DCUC11-12, DCUC13-15, Plastic Man

This factory first shows up in August 2009 making the PE figures, then in the regular line with DCUC11. In my figures Katma, Deadman, and Question are from "D" while the others are from "C". For Wave 12, Copperhead, Desaad, both Spectres, and both Mary's are from "D", the others are from "C". All of DCUC13, Plastic Man, and DCUC15 are from "D".

Here's a rough production timeline. Again, your figures may vary depending on when/where you bought 'em...

Factory "A"
DCUC1 - Nov/Dec 2007
DCUC2 - Factory A - Jan/Feb 2008
DCUC3 - Factory A - Jun/Jul 2008

Factory "B"
Lobo June 2008

Factory "C"
DCUC2 - Jul/Aug 2008
DCUC3 - Aug/Sep 2008
DCUC4 - Jul/Oct 2008
DCUC5 - Sep 2008
2008 2pks - Sep 2008 (Note: I don't have the Az/Batgirl or Cyb Supes/Mongul 2pks)
DCUC6 - Oct 2008
Space Heroes 2pk - Nov 2008
DCUC7 - Jan 2009
DCUC8 - Mar 2009
Ultraman & Brainiac 2pks - Apr 2009
Wonder Twins - Jun 2009
DCUC9 - June/Jul 2009
Gotham City 5pk - Jul 2009
DCUC10 - Jul 2009
Sinestro 2pk - Aug 2009
DCUC11 (Half) - Nov 2009
Animal Instincts 2pk - Nov 2009
DCUC12 (Mid-Nite, Iron, Eclipso) - Nov/Dec 2009
TRU Batman - Dec 2009
Walmart 2pks - Jan 2010
TRU Hal Jordan - Feb 2010
TRU Flash - May 2010
GL 5PK - Jun 2010

Factory "D"
Public Enemies 1 - Aug 2009
DCUC11 (Half) - Sep/Oct 2009
DCUC12 (Spectres, Marys, Desaad, Copperhead) - Nov/Dec 2009
Public Enemies 2 - Dec 2009
Naked Cheetah - Jan 2010
DCUC13 - Mar 2010
Plastic Man - May 2010
DCUC15 - Aug 2010
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Re: Mattel & the different DCUC Factories

Postby Toygiant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 am

Very interesting. Care to break down the codes for us or should you keep that info under your belt?
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Toygiant » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am

Here's some things to note about my 2 Martian Manhunters:

The one with the small biceps has 2420MTN on the bottom of his left foot, seems to be a slightly lighter shade of green, except his head, which is an opaque green, and his belt buckle seems to have missed it's gold paint app as it's white (for light metalics they always spray white first).

The one with the large biceps has R5806 2530MTN on his left foot, the peg to keep his belts centered on his chest wont seat (so it looks like he's hiding a rock under his belts), and has a more translucent green head.

Luckily, since the heads pop off so easy (ala MotUC) I made a head switch. The translucent green made his skin look, well, for lack of a better term, plastic.
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby TSR » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 pm

are there pics online comparing the small vs large biceps of Martian Manhunter?
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby Toygiant » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:14 pm

There are now! :sectaur:

Note:These were taken after I did the head swap. So originally they had eachothers head.

Image Image
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Toygiant » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Upon closer insepction of the small bicep MM, I've found at least 6 specks of red in the softer PVC of his arms. This is an indication that there was moisture present when the plastic stock was poured into the hopper. So, in essence, this MM has mildew spots and he's a brand new figure! And I didn't remember seeing these when I opened him a little over a week ago, so there's a good chance this is going to get a lot worse.

**shakes head**
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby TSR » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:13 pm

ok, here's what I'm probably missing:
Why do different pieces exist?
As in, what figure should properly have the large bicep and what figure should have the small?

thanks for the previous quick response! :D
TSR
Commander
Commander

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum