Superman/Batman:Apocalypse

The Forum may be named after DC Classics, but this forum is meant for all your DC Comics toy discussion: Classics, DC Direct, JLU, Young Justice, & Beyond. DC Toy Talk from Aztek to Zauriel.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Superman/Batman:Apocalypse

Postby twofisted » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:40 am

Just saw it and i thought it was pretty good. I thought it followed the comic story pretty well and i liked how they tried to capture the Michael Turner art style. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anybody else pick it up yet?
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Re: Superman/Batman:Apocalypse

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 pm

We rented it for Tuesday, but our friends couldn't come over and watch it. Then, we decided to be nice and forego the early return credit and watch it with them tomorrow. Though we should charge them...
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Mose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:We rented it for Tuesday, but our friends couldn't come over and watch it. Then, we decided to be nice and forego the early return credit and watch it with them tomorrow. Though we should charge them...

I haven't seen it yet. Did you like it more than Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths?
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby twofisted » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 pm

I thought they were both great but if i had to pick i'd say this one was better only in that it followed a storyline pretty faithfully. Although i thought Crisis on 2 Earths was good...i hate how every time they bring up the Crime Syndicate, its a new and different intrepretation
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:56 am

Finally got everyone together to watch it.

Going in, I should say that I pretty heavily dislike that story (remove MA Supergirl to get SA Supergirl, kill Harbinger for plot, Darkseid brawling, lots of odd character behavior, etc). I'm pretty down on Loeb in general to be honest...

BUT

I wanted to give the movie a fresh chance as its own entity and didn't worry about the comic characters motivations or happening because this is different universe to me. Overall, I think the movie did a decent job of fitting everything in. We weren't really sure if the movie was going to end and forego the Kent farm portion or go on. And the Kent farm portion was pretty decent to watch even though it was the equivalent of an entire issue of two-pg spreads. :lol:

I liked the quasi Turner/Timm animation designs (except for the heavy eyeshadow on the Supes). I felt pretty engaged the whole time too. The only real criticism I'm going to level on it is that it's time for DC to either let Timm/Romano go or insist or varying up the voices. I know Kevin Conroy "is" Batman to so many fans, but I'm ready to move on. We're going on 20 years. Tim Daly too. I'm interested in some new voices. But on that front - I love Andre Braugher, I really do, but he just didn't work as Darkseid for me. Maybe some post work on it would've helped, I don't know.

Anyway, I still liked it. I thought COTE was better, but this put Public Enemies to absolute and utter shame.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby twofisted » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:45 am

My only criticism of it was the Harbinger. I'd have to say that the bulk of people who bought this dvd are big enough DC fans to know who Harbinber is..and to shoehorn her into the story with little or no explaination was kinda dumb. They could've gotten away with writing in a whole new character to kill off for the kidnapping scene. I read the original story so i get that Harbinger was there on Paradise Island and she did in fact die at the hands of the Furies...but in the case of the dvd, i was dissapointed to have her thrown in there as if she was just another Amazon and kill her off so abruptly.

Guess that means no Crisis on Infinite Earths animated movie
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:40 am

I have no love for the Bat and the Boy Scout so I'll leave my thoughts on the main feature out. That said I was even mor disappointed with the Green Arrow backup. GA is portrayed somewhere between his street justice Longbow Hunters take and the earlier easy-go-lucky playboy of his early years. He needs access to the JLA database to identify one of his own foes, spends more time running and hiding then shooting his bow, is a poor hand to hand fighter, and needs Black Carnary to bail him out in the end.

Absolutly awful story from first to last. :twisted: [domo] :fedup:
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:55 pm

twofisted wrote:My only criticism of it was the Harbinger. I'd have to say that the bulk of people who bought this dvd are big enough DC fans to know who Harbinber is..and to shoehorn her into the story with little or no explaination was kinda dumb. They could've gotten away with writing in a whole new character to kill off for the kidnapping scene. I read the original story so i get that Harbinger was there on Paradise Island and she did in fact die at the hands of the Furies...but in the case of the dvd, i was dissapointed to have her thrown in there as if she was just another Amazon and kill her off so abruptly.

Guess that means no Crisis on Infinite Earths animated movie

:lol: I read the original and thought it was idiotic and forced to have her in that one, so I took it for granted in the adaptation. I agree with you though, she was hardly integral to the plot.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Tekwych wrote:That said I was even mor disappointed with the Green Arrow backup.

Our rentals haven't included the shorts. :roll:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Tekwych » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Our rentals haven't included the shorts. :roll:

That's OK, the first four are being collected on their own DVD release, with their own extras and bonus material so you'll have to buy it even if you already have all the original releases.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to DCClassics.Com & DCUAllStars.Com Forum