What, no Malekith toys?

A Forum for the discussion of all things Marvel & the many lines that dominated toy shelves for years: Legends, Universe, Select, the Films, and any other Marvel line past & present.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

What, no Malekith toys?

Postby timh_iat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Have any Malekith action figures been announced? I'm surprised that Hasbro has passed on Malekith for its 3.75" line.

I'd think the kids would want one Malekith before 18 variants of Thor...

Surely Chris Eccleston didn't sign a "no-toy deal"? (Not that Malekith even bears his likeness...)
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Re: What, no Malekith toys?

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. The big toy companies make a lot of boneheaded decisions. Also, the figures from the first Thor film didn't sell particularly well, so it seems Hasbro is scaling back on the figures for Thor 2. TRU is the only store around me that's carrying them. It doesn't seem that Hasbro got the hint that the reason the Thor 1 figures didn't sell that great was because the line was mostly Thor variants. I've still never seen a Volstagg, Fandral, or Sif, I've only seen Hogun once (and passed on him because what's the point of getting one of the Warriors Three?), but I could walk into many TRU or Target stores right now and find a few Thors on clearance.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby timh_iat » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah, I agree (with fluster) about the bone-headedness of the toy distribution.

I remember as an eight year old being smart enough to know that 10 variations of Thor are 10 variations of the same guy. Unless Mom and Dad are wealthy, you pick one.

Kid: "Mom, I gotta get this one!"
Mom: It's another Thor. Don't you already have ten Thors?

versus:

Kid: "Mom, I gotta get this one! It's one of the Warriors Three."
Mom: "All right, but you can't open him unless you do well on your report card."

I suspect "Marketing Math" goes into the decision to make 10 Thors.

Suited Up Marketing Exec: "We have ten slots for the Thor 2 toyline."

Suited Up Subordinate: "Thor, Malekith, Dark Elf, Loki, Kurse, Sif, Fandral, Volstagg, Hogun, Heimdall"

Exec: "Research shows that Thor outsells the supporting cast 5:1."

Subordinate: "OK, but we can't release ten Thors. What kid wants ten thors?"

Subordinate's Rival: "The math doesn't lie. See? Here are my profit forecasts. Multiply sales per unit by 5x for Thor, 2x for Malekith and Loki, and 1x for the rest. That averages 1.6x, an opportunity cost. If we release ten Thors, we achieve 5x line wide. I say, 'Cut the fat. That's where it's at.'"

Exec: "Good thinking. PS. I'm 50 years old and remember nothing about playing with toys anyway. Children are just automated buzzword consumers, right?"

Subordinate's Rival: "I'm 25 years old and was trained to think only in sound bites. 'Thor is the cool. Don't be a fool.' My calculations clearly show that every Thor we release beyond variant 4 is pure profit considering the small cost to retool and package different heads with different bodies. Having four unique heads and four unique bodies gives us a 4 times 4 =16x sales magnifier for the cost of producing just four figures."
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby dayraven » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:06 pm

i'm beyond pissed that we're not getting 6 inch figs of anyone... money on the table boys, money on the table.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:24 pm

dayraven wrote:i'm beyond pissed that we're not getting 6 inch figs of anyone... money on the table boys, money on the table.

I don't buy 4" figures on a regular basis, and my Thor movie display is sadly lacking. Of course, I never did see the Walmart exclusive 6-inchers from the first film in person. I'd plunk down for an updated Thor, Sif, Warriors Three, and Odin without hesitation. Heck, I'd even buy a couple of Thor variants, if they did hippy poncho Thor, fully armored Thor, etc.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Return to Marvel Comics Toy Forum