The Return of Marvel Legends...

A Forum for the discussion of all things Marvel & the many lines that dominated toy shelves for years: Legends, Universe, Select, the Films, and any other Marvel line past & present.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

The Return of Marvel Legends...

Postby dayraven » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 am

i'm a little underwhelmed at the ML two packs to be honest w/ y'all. not that they look bad, but after all this time, i guess i was expecting better. the dark photos aren't helping any, but valkyrie in particular i was hyped about, but her hair and face seem really featureless. warpath looks great, even though i could do w/out the inferior deadpool (sorry, that old D body was a better base). winter soldier looks good, if you think winter soldier looks good. black widow is a vast improvement over the original, but she and hulk are the only two i'd say i'm still "stoked" about. we'll see.

to me, the crown jewel for hasbro continues to be galactus, who i suspect is bringing home more than one poppie this year, and even if not, he'll win at my house. again, it makes me bitter to see MU getting characters that ML still hasn't presented, like thanos and constrictor. that hurts dammit. and let's be real, ML are now done on the uber-cheap, so let's not pretend that they're "expensive" to produce. they have a bigger library of bucks than dcu, but essentially, ml is now a buck line.

for you guys buying the lil iron men armors, y'all should be as happy as a pig in starfruit.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Marvel . . . at the sight of Marvel Comics-related Merch

Postby dayraven » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:09 pm

AdventureVault wrote:Those MU figures are tempting, but I can hold off mostly. I'm worried about when the new Marvel Legends start. It's going to be nearly impossible to resist.

dude, my personal ethos on the new marvel legends is very simple... i'm giving in, where the figs either fill a gap in my existing universe, or where the fix is a VAST improvement over an existing fig... by vast, i mean, improves in at least theee aspects, otherwise, it's not worth the re-invest. like for example, the new deadpool in the 2 pack is coming home strictly because he's in a two pack w/ a fig i don't have. otherwise, if he got single packed, i'd skip him, cuz i have the existing deadpool and he's flat out amazing. but i'm not re-buying my collection on the whole. new characters are a case-by-case basis, but i'm not blocking anyone at this point till i see and feel what we're getting. waves 1 and 2 of HML felt nice and solid and had great clicky joints, but then we started getting crappy hasbrows and kneebros, and the paint aps dropped, and the sculpt details became soft and the accessories went gooey... i'm not repeating that nonsense at all. i don't buy starfruit just to have a fig of a character i like.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm

I keep telling Vault that if IAT needs to ride the ML wave, it has to be on his back. :lol:

I'm buying that Valkyrie 2pk for her.

In the future, I just want to see: USAgent, Hellcat, Firestar, Fantomex, Steve Rogers and probably one or two more that I can't think of right now. Other than that, it would be to upgrade some of the figs if they've been improved like Nova, Rogue, War Machine, Captain Britain, and Moon Knight.

Heck, if I could get a Secret Avengers Box set? I'd be happy camper.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Ebonhorn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm

I got the Hulk out of the twopack off someone on fwoosh...I didn't want Valkyrie.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:38 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I wish that the red/blue Warpath came with regular Deadpool. I don't have much interest in Bluepool or B/W Warpath, but I like the sculpt for Warpath alot.

I think that's most people, and that's what they're counting on, that fanboys will "have to" get both.

I'll probably pass on these ML sets, but I did find a 4" Carnage to go with my lil' guys!

Needs way more attachments, but otherwise he's pretty rockin'! :evil:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:58 am

Yeah I never had a strong attachment to ML...so when I disappeared I wasn't really bothered, and MU came along and that got me.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

strange man... ml rocked, and i'm hoping that i can find classic warpath & bluepool, just cuz i like classic WP best, and loving my vintage DP, bluepool is more explainable as some one else, as far as my personal mythos goes... but if all i find is new warpath and red deapool, don't think for a second i'd turn down a DP (i'll wait for ebon to explain this joke to everyone). hulk & valk i already ordered from tru.com, and i'm passing completely on blech widow and winter soldier... she just looks blow (don't worry, i know what valk looks like already... i'll deal... i have some mods planned) and winter soldier i would get if i could get just him, but like the fourth time around for the el-cheapo guns, and the lame short hair cut w/ eyeballs do NOT entice me to pony up the bones. i love marvel legends, but like w/ every other toy line, COOL is the only predicate of purchase.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:20 pm

It's not that ML sucked, i just got back into toys around the time ML was winding down....so it's wrong time wrong place things for me.
Ebonhorn

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:14 pm

I definitely liked ML, when it was first hitting.
It was just never my 100% cup o' tea, mostly due to the tendency to overarticulate.
That, and it seems it was nearly impossible for me to find good paint ops.

And sadly, that was before I'd ever dreamed of trying to repaint anything, fearing I'd screw it up way worse. :blush:

But don't get me wrong, Cortes and Ramirez and co. totally rocked the house in the sculpting dept!!!

I just feel the translation to figure usually left a bit too much to be desired.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I bought ML when it started in 02, really enjoyed it at it's high point in 04-05 and lost interest after the Giant Man wave or so (waves 11, 13-15 weren't so hot to me). I don't think I built the last 3 BAFs from TB and I've never built a HML one. Plus, Hasbro just went uber-cheap on 'em and that killed it for me. I'll always appreciate ML for being cutting edge and bringing figures into the 21st centry, but the consequence was that they pushed things to far sometimes with over-engineering and too much willingness to make some figures into artist's manikins instead of maintaining an aesthetic.

I went back to TRU today and took another look at that awful Valkyrie. Prolly my only shot at a figure of her and they botched it pretty badly. Sucks more when compared to how nicely Widow's been done. I almost wavered and picked up Bluepool & Warpath, but the price went up. They're $30 now instead of $25. That puts them on par with DCUC, so no biggie, but the price actually raising got me to hold off for at least another day.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Next

Return to Marvel Comics Toy Forum