New Forum: The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys

A forum dedicated to the innovative toy lines of tomorrow. Four Horsemen's Fantastic Exclusive & the Outer Space Men, Onell Design's Glyos, ThreeA, & a host of other Designer/Alternative Toys that you need to tell others about...

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

New Forum: The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 am

While we've been splitting off forums here at IAT whenever discussion of a particular toy line warranted it (I still have no idea how we contained all of our MOTU talk to one thread...), I decided to split off this new forum to spotlight some of the more fledging toy companies and make sure we know what's happening with them.

This is a forum to spotlight the projects that we're not going to find at Toys R Us, that don't have giant talking heads with no clue making decisions, this is a thread for the little (and in some cases, not-so little) guys that make toys. A few of them already have threads here, but if you know of something that we should be looking at... start the thread! I always joke about the internet being the dark and our browser is a flashlight that only shines where we think to point it. I can't fathom how much cool stuff many of us are missing out on...
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Re: New Forum: The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 am

Also, the name of this forum is a work in progress.

I had discussed some obvious suggestions with friends: Designer Toys, Indie Toys, Alternative Toys, etc., but I wanted something that I felt didn't have a built-in dismissal. What I mean by that is that I used to be that guy. As a nostalgia buyer, I didn't read "indie comics", didn't listen to "alternative music", had no interest in "designer toys", etc..

I got over it, and I'm glad I did. But I still remember that those words didn't always have an appeal to me, so I wanted to come up with something that might help overcome that first barrier when a new toy fan hears about the cool stuff that's not being churned out by the big companies that command so many of our dollars.

"Emerging Channels" is the hip new term for alternative, so I'm going to try that out since it's too new to have a bad reputation. :lol: "Seventh Market" is a play on an old toy industry term, "Market Six". Basically, any store you could sell toys to other than the five toy retailers was labelled as "market six". The "Big Five" has diminished plenty since those days and that term is no longer really applied, but it still makes the internet a seventh market... after a fashion, anyway. If you come up with something better, by all means, let's hear it.
:blush:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:08 am

Great idea for a new forum! There definitely is a need to hilight some of the great work done by some of the companies that aren't Hasbro/Mattel.

I definitely agree about the built-in dismissal. Words like "indie" and "designer" definitely have a stigma attached to them. Even if its subconscious.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am

Maybe it's my age or my professional choices but those words have always been badges of honor and things to actively search out for me. I don't always 'get' it but I will try it. I read far more 'indie' comics and almost half my figure collection is from companies outside of North America.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

Tekwych wrote:Maybe it's my age or my professional choices but those words have always been badges of honor and things to actively search out for me.

They are absolutely that too! I just wanted to categorize this section in a way that gets folks like me to better see what you're able to see automatically.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_AqXCw1SYs

seriously, have you guys seen this? if this guy makes it to market w/ these things, methinks we'll be talking about him a lot. spydor just got UPSTAGED!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 am

dayraven wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_AqXCw1SYs

seriously, have you guys seen this? if this guy makes it to market w/ these things, methinks we'll be talking about him a lot. spydor just got UPSTAGED!

Okay, Mattel seriously needs to buy the rights for this and make a Spydor out of that shiz!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 am

Do you really want to add Mattel's in house sculpting tweaks, cost reductions, and quality control to be added to that?
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Tekwych wrote:Do you really want to add Mattel's in house sculpting tweaks, cost reductions, and quality control to be added to that?

yeah, while i loved spydor as a kid, i don't want mattel within a country mile of that guy's project. explodo armor FTW.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

Haha... well, then probably not.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys Forum