The IAT Official "Ask Mattel" Submission Thread

A forum dedicated to the innovative toy lines of tomorrow. Four Horsemen's Fantastic Exclusive & the Outer Space Men, Onell Design's Glyos, ThreeA, & a host of other Designer/Alternative Toys that you need to tell others about...

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The IAT Official "Ask Mattel" Submission Thread

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm

I think its a marketing trick, they want people to think they have to sub, lest they not get enough subscriptions for the line to continue.

I think they need a certain amount of gauranteed sales to justify moving forward with the line.

MOTUC has enough of a built-in fanbase that they don't need to resort to that. Watchmen is new... I'm guessing they'll go through with that regardless.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Jayger10 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm

That DC subscription thermometer isn't looking too hot at the moment...There are a few subscription figures I would really like, but some I also have absolutely no interest in. Whether the subscription goes through or not, could it be an option to take pre-orders for each individual figure? i.e. I would really like Saint Walker and Larfleeze, but I do not want the others (of the announced figures).
Jayger10

Postby dayraven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:02 am

when mattel re-uses a motuc buck for the max steel like battlecat, doesn't that help extrapolate the costs of that mold more effectively? does this mean we could lower the bar for the subscriptions, or lower per unit cost, by introducing other motuc bucks into max steel to defer mattel's costs?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Nass » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:22 pm

2 questions:

1) I'm very happy to see the New 52 Justice League coming along quickly. I know you won't announce line-ups of future waves, but theoretically if there was a new 52 Cyborg in the works, would it be a unique, new, in-scale, sculpt or a (less accurate) 'normal' male size ?

2) We're all stoked for the Adam West figures! It's been a popular collector dream to display movie masters Adam West Batman, Chris Reeve Superman, and Linda Carter Wonder Woman figures together. Regarding likeness rights, is this possible from Mattel? Supes and WW perhaps just in a DC Unlimited wave?

Thanks.
Nass

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm

In an answer to one of Preternia's questions, regarding the possibility of brick-and-mortar MOTU Classics releases, you said: "We would also likely 'plus down' the figures with one head and one accessory to maintain collectability for the original release."

What in the name of Muawijhe, Lord of Insanity, does "plus down" mean? Surely plus is up, minus is down? The phrase implies simultaneous addition and subtraction, thereby making it semantically null. Please explain the etymological and syntactical derivation of this phrase. Or use plain English in your answers in future. Thank you for your time.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Satam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Is there time to change the shape of the wings on the new Batman Beyond figure to more closely match what was depicted in the cartoon and in the comics? They wings on the figure shown at Toy Fair are a little too curvy.
Satam

Postby BiggestDawg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

In regards to MOTUC figures, as a newcomer to the line I find myself challenged in filling some holes in my collection. Some figures are much easier to find at reasonable prices than others. I understand the desire is to do fewer if any reissues this year but honestly, given sellout times shouldn't some more iconic characters be added to the essentials? Especially older figures that are featured heavily in various media. Teela, Beastman, Tri-Klops, the Sorceress, etc. The steady availability of He-Man, Battle Cat and Skeletor at Mattycollector.com are what finally brought me on board so more of this would help keep me happy and I am sure bring in others who were reluctant because they feel they missed stuff they already want.
BiggestDawg
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Thad_theImpaler » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:07 pm

I'd like to see if they would be willing to do a head/armor weapons pak release for a future paks. Especially for previously 'promised' items like extra Man-E-Faces heads, etc. Most of it would be repaints of existing heads/parts anyway, very minimal new tooling if any

Just for basics for consideration to throw out there, obviously too much for one individual pak:

New Heads:
new Man-E-Faces alt heads
Filmation Ram Man googily eyes
Filmation Mer-Man
new palace guard heads

Repaint Heads:
Man-At-Arms mustache head in SMAA colors helmet
BG Evil-Lyn helmetless head in yellow
Mer-Man 'catfish' head in blue
BG Teela red hair
Zodac/Cosmic Enforcer in pink
King He-Man variation
repaint variation of the Alcala Skeletor head
And maybe a fixed Snout Spout head that fixes the brittle trunk problem

Armor:
King Grayskull harness in silver/gray w/cape recolor
BA He-Man armor in faker orange or another color
full palace guard armor set
MAA torso armor in colors to match palace guard set
Rattlor's 200x armor
Hordak armor in blue
Clawful armor in green
maybe another color variation of the cosmic enforcer armor
maybe color varations of Mek-a-nek/Stinkor and Fisto/Clamp-Champ armors

Weapons:
cosmic enforcer pistol/staff to match potential armor repaint
Vikor weapons repaints
Sword of the Ancients repaint
regular Powersword in translucent green w/gold hilt, maybe 'starfield' flakes
regular Powersword with purple hilt & silver blade
He-Man axe in purple with silver blades/accents
He-Man shield in silver with purple inlays and rivets
Havoc Staff with silver & bronze rams head
Trap-Jaw weapons in Roboto silver
Dekker techno-mace in SMAA colors
Castle Grayskull man's swords & shield repaints
Stinkor blaster repaint
200x sword in Faker orange (possibly use the damaged King He-Man version)
Man-E-Faces blaster repaint/reissue
Randor sword & staff in eternos palace colors
Goddess spear repaint
Thad_theImpaler
Ensign
Ensign

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Just a note to let everyone know we're trying to get the Ask Matty back in the schedule. We just have to remember a few weeks in advance... :blush:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby CapeApe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 pm

These questions pertain to the DC Signature line....

With the failure of the 2014 subscription, is it possible to get an extension to buy more subs? I was only able to buy one this year because I had spent every dime I had on SDCC goodies. I would defiantly buy another 2 subs given a chance to. I can't be the only one.

Is there a chance we could move on with the 2014 subscription and rather than getting new sculpts, just get some fan favorite re-paints (like beast boy teen titans or elongated man silver) ? Don't get me wrong I definitely want the announced figures it's just a suggestion to fill the holes.
CapeApe

PreviousNext

Return to The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys Forum