Random Questions: life, love, ettiquette, and other stuff

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Random Questions: life, love, ettiquette, and other stuff

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I've got some questions and I want answers.

Just thought I'd start a random@$$ thread for myself (and other) to post stuff thats just been on their minds.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: Random Questions: life, love, ettiquette, and other stuf

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

First question: I just started going to a new barbershop. This is just your plain old fashioned barber shop. Walk-ins only, no appointments, no coupons, etc. They've got about 5 years worth of magazines in the rack, the walls are covered floor-to-ceiling in local sports memorabilia. Like I said, real old fashioned, a man's man's type of place.

I've been there about 4-5 times. Mostly just for a quick trim or a line-up when I want to look extra sharp. There are two barbers who work there, one is a man (the owner) and the other is a woman. The man is very nice, probably in his late thirties/early forties, but he gets too caught up in conversation and seems to forget what it is that he's doing. He doesn't do a terrible job by any means, but after having been to them both a couple times now I think she does a much better job. She was more keen on detail and seemed to spend twice as long making sure to get my look just right.

This place is set up as first-come, first-served. So basically it comes down to luck as far as who you get. I'm going in for another trim and I'd prefer to get it done by the woman, who I think does a much better job. If its my turn to go and its the man , should I just say "I'm waiting for her" or just go with it?
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Ideal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:43 pm

when i was growing up, the local barber shop had at least 2, and sometimes 3, barbers at any given time. but pretty much everyone that went there went with the intention of getting the owner to cut their hair, typically having a line of guys waiting to get their hair cut and the other barber just standing there with nothing to do
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:57 pm

The barber my dad used to take me to was an old Polish man who owned his own business and would smoke these stinky cigars while he cut your hair. He'd always use a straight edge razor on the back of your neck and my skin would get all irritated.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 am

PrfktTear wrote:The barber my dad used to take me to was an old Polish man who owned his own business and would smoke these stinky cigars while he cut your hair. He'd always use a straight edge razor on the back of your neck and my skin would get all irritated.

that's the hallmark of an inadequately cleaned razor... a properly maintained straight razor should leave you smooth and very sheerly cut. got the full treatment before my wedding and i came out prettier than the bride (don't tell her i said that!)

anyways, there's an etiquette to receiving a good hair cut, BUT there's an etiquette to running a good business too. so long as your greenbacks end up in his register, you feel free to request the barber of your choice. also, feel free to tip her. if she's doing the job well, tip her, and any future excuses needed to cover etiquette she'll make for you.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Most likely I'm over thinking it. He prolly wouldn't care. Just bring on the next shaggy head.

The place has good prices tho. Ten bucks for a regular men's haircut. Seven if you go for weekly cuts. first time the guy only charged me four for a lineup. The others its been six, but I didn't bother to say anything. I usually give two or three bucks for a tip, but I think the last time the woman cut my hair I have her four. Not bad for what took her all of like ten minutes.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Any experience shipping to Canada? Someone from Canada just won an auction of mine on Ebay. I did say "NO OUTSIDE US" but the damn Canuck prolly didn't read it.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 pm

PrfktTear wrote:Any experience shipping to Canada? Someone from Canada just won an auction of mine on Ebay. I did say "NO OUTSIDE US" but the damn Canuck prolly didn't read it.

Account >
Site Preferences >
Buyer Requirements >
Edit >
Block buyers who: Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to

and

Account >
Site Preferences >
Selling Preferences >
Shipping Preferences >
Exclude shipping locations from your listings >
Edit >
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:36 pm

muchos gracias. i know i had some sort of blocks on my selling list, and i was under the impression that they had been blocked. i'll make sure i add that. its probably not even a big deal selling to canadia, but still i'm more comfortable selling/shipping domestic.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

no problem; I feel like they hide that stuff, so I'm more than happy to pass the info along
TSR
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to The Green Room